HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Theres actually a thread for that place! Looks like it was sold in 2014 from one developer to another

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...ZDZw0wnsjL4X2s

Yes I remember that thread .... But nothing posted since 2014 .... Just wondering if anyone knows what's happening?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2021, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
the loonie land building is being converted into a bar. I am note sure how far along stephen is on that.

kinda late there lol - already amended my statement that I got this lot confused with the one on cannon - they look very similar on the outside.[/QUOTE]

Ah, shucks Chronamut, you are Chrono-logically two steps ahead of me. But hey, such is life.
The demo on King Street is complete, and they seemed to have cleaned up the lot nicely. There now is a for lease sign on the fence fronting King. Wonder what for? The corner house remains.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 10:19 PM

The old Windsor Hotel at John and King William has seen some progress of late. I saw someone online mention that it is rumoured to be a McCafe? I suppose it is possible.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
The old Windsor Hotel at John and King William has seen some progress of late. I saw someone online mention that it is rumoured to be a McCafe? I suppose it is possible.
You're looking for this thread I believe: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=235380

I find this incredibly unlikely for a few reasons:

1) McCafe doesn't exist as a single entity anywhere else in the GTA outside of a few Toronto locations where it is incredibly busy. This corner is not that busy.

2) They have spent almost 2 years renovating this. I find it unlikely McCafe wouldn't just pop in somewhere that is already renovated in a busier spot.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 7:18 PM

Is there a thread for this one?
801-803 King St W and 80, 86 & 90 Carling St (Westdale)
Can't seem to find any info but there's a new building-sized hole on the property.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:36 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
Can't seem to find any info but there's a new building-sized hole on the property.
This Spec story from last April notes a 7-storey rental building proposed at 90 Carling that got financial breaks from the city for including affordable units (10 of 100).

I don't remember what was on that lot, but it's been vacant a long time. The 2007 Streetview of the Carling side shows a couple of houses behind fencing, probably about to be demolished.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9000 View Post
From the cities planning map.

Address 90 CARLING ST
File Year 2020

Construct a seven storey student residence with underground parking

To construct a 7-storey multiple dwelling containing 100 units. A total of 57 parking spaces are being provided for the site, with 45 below grade, and 12 contained on a surface parking area.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:10 PM

There's a thread for it somewhere.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
There's a thread for it somewhere.
It was posted about in the downtown update thread here. 7 storey building by Effort Trust. I'm still curious when was the last time (if ever?) Effort Trust built their own residential project?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:38 PM
It's a nickname from work

With the amount of apartments they one they've surely built a few, right?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
With the amount of apartments they one they've surely built a few, right?
I recall two projects that I believe they built - both on Main Street

this one near Erie

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.25113...7i16384!8i8192

and this one close to Whitney

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.25358...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 3:17 AM
Hamilton Historian

Eh I have definitely seen worse

and yeah the windsor actually has a cornice again! Of sorts.. its more like a ledge as it has bracing underneath, so I am not quite sure WHAT their intentions for that are, but the arches between the iron wrought pillars seems like they've been formed more - with some kinda cheesecloth material - those windows look beautiful though - I hope they re-yellow the brick banding too as parts are almost faded away completely - very interested to see how this one turns out in the end!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2021, 10:38 PM

I haven't seen any discussion about this potentially major proposal. It's about a year old now and it seems fairly preliminary, but do we know anything about these? They all look to be pushing the 30fl limit (appear in line with Stelco tower or whatever it's called now). Sits on a very prime lot as well. I found more information in this report:https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=216784

Old Posted Feb 6, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevbar1 View Post
I haven't seen any discussion about this potentially major proposal. It's about a year old now and it seems fairly preliminary, but do we know anything about these? They all look to be pushing the 30fl limit (appear in line with Stelco tower or whatever it's called now). Sits on a very prime lot as well. I found more information in this report:https://pub-hamilton.escribemeetings...umentId=216784
I believe that's Carmens rough proposal for the convention centre + arena redevelopment. Most of the discussion around that saga has taken place here but some older stuff here too. The deal to hand those venues over to Carmens hasn't even closed yet, so there's no actual detailed plan to speak of here yet.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:21 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
I believe that's Carmens rough proposal for the convention centre + arena redevelopment. Most of the discussion around that saga has taken place here but some older stuff here too. The deal to hand those venues over to Carmens hasn't even closed yet, so there's no actual detailed plan to speak of here yet.
It would be nice because it would revert that land back to a semi-proposed design that was originally supposed to be there way back in the day - with more of an open space concept in front of city hall - not as big and corridory as was originally proposed of course, but would still open this area up, as it's currently just a jumbled feeling lot.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:48 PM

Does anyone know what's going on with the property beside Coppley? Is it owned by Coppley and they don't want people parking here, or is the parking company just not interested right now in managing the lot, or something more interesting planned?

Last edited by TheRitsman; Mar 12, 2021 at 7:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Does anyone know what's going on with the property beside Coppley? Is it owned by Coppley and they don't want people parking here, or is the parking company just not interested right now in managing the lot, or something more interesting planned?

https://i.imgur.com/Zo5aFyMh.jpg
Broken link.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
Broken link.
Fixed!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post

The sign says it's a temporary closure. My guess is with parking demand being as it is with no events at Copps Coliseum, people working from home, no churches gathering, etc etc, this is a temporary way to save on insurance by simply closing the lot. I think most of the lots north of Jackson Square are owned by the same group and so it doesn't matter which of those lots they make their parking revenue from, so if there's not demand for all lots to be used, there's no sense in insuring all of them. That's my pure speculation for whatever it's worth.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 2:47 PM

I used to park there when I worked with the City and paid $80 a month. It had an interesting smell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton