HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 6:57 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeGuy View Post
I'm all for large low-rise projects, but do either of these developments have a retail component? If not, the developers may as well be building suburban townhouses that require residents to drive elsewhere to do anything. I don't think the city should be allowing/encouraging this type of development as it's antithetical to the existing land use patterns throughout the city. If we have more residents driving cars then we're going to need more grocery stores/retail with parking. It would be a lot better if residents of these huge developments had places to walk to within their own neighborhoods/developments.
The Capri drive project does not and its not anything great in person. That could have easily been oriented to access Penrose Ave and allow for retail frontage on a very dead stretch of roadway. Instead its mediocrity...

At least the pier project has a few retail spaces.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:49 PM

Does anyone have the site plan of the full University Place project?

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 1:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
wow at the south philly project. Never heard of that.
Yes I'm from here/live here. There are a few multi-unit projects down here actually. One on 19th/Geary behind the Catholic Church, one up St Monica's next to the Shoprite, a recently announced project also up st Monica's on 18th/Oregon, and the Siena Homes build-out. The parents aren't happy about it (they think the "skinny jeans people are invading"), but my guess is it's born-and-bred SP young people leaving their parents' row homes (at 29).

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
These are both terrible retail locations - especially in this economy. There's virtually zero foot traffic in either spot. Not sure any tenants would want to be there.
I think the point is that adding 900 residential units will increase the viability of retail. The question isn't "who would want to go there?" it's "how would 900 residential units not be able to support a cafe?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I just snipped it
Thank you.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
I think the point is that adding 900 residential units will increase the viability of retail. The question isn't "who would want to go there?" it's "how would 900 residential units not be able to support a cafe?"

Yeah this is exactly what I'm talking about. The developers are essentially building an entirely new neighborhood with limited neighborhood amenities. All this does is increase the pressure on surrounding commercial developments to cater to people who get there by car.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post

Thank you.
Not to mention, there is development happening up and down Delaware Avenue without Retail so this will potentially serve as an anchor for those developments as well. (And when you look at the surrounding plots, it's easy to imagine similar development following quickly).

Unlike other "neighborhoods" that have been built on the river, this will be totally open to the outside (i.e. not gated) with a true street grid, public spaces, and an extension of the Delaware River trail.

I think it's going to be a success.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 7:10 PM

This is promising :

https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...g-piece-106830

It states that the life science community is focusing on the need for manufacturing space. Not much space in the city or state currently exist for it at all, so it's gotta be a custom build or a conversion. If the multiple entities involved are smart, could be a win win.

The article also says there's potential sites in North Philly. What about the Northeast? Plenty of land there to build and accessible to SEPTA and highway

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:05 PM

It has sort of gone under the radar, but Spark recently bought a former UPenn Lab Facility in Glenolden Delaware County to build a manufacturing facility.

I never realized anything like that existed in that part of Delaware County...but looked it up on google street view...it's a cool old mid-century facility on a bunch of land.

If that's the sort of thing that gets re-used and adapted, I'm all for it.

Great way to bring jobs to all the nooks and crannies in our region...not just the usual suspects (KoP, Conshy, Center City, West Philly, Navy Yard, etc).

Super promising.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:14 PM

Studio House Philly, A 47-Unit Development, Complete At 1613 Germantown Avenue In Olde Kensington

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/12/stud...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:16 PM

404 Units + Commercial Proposed on the Border of Northern Liberties and East Poplar

Rendering:

Current site:

Aerial view of project:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/404-uni...d-east-poplar/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:17 PM

231-Unit Project Proposed in Port Richmond

Rendering:

Current site:

Aerial view of project:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/231-uni...port-richmond/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:18 PM

114-Unit Project Planned Next to Beury Building

Rendering:

Current site:

Aerial view of project:

Read/view more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/114-uni...affiti-4-ever/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:20 PM

Two Apartment Buildings Will Soon Rise at 3045 Richmond Street in Port Richmond

Current site:

Rendering:

Read/view more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...ichmond-street

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:22 PM

They were doing test bores I believe on the site of the planned "Ridge Flats" apartment building in East Falls last week

Here's the project for those that forget:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ridge-fl...al-renderings/

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:32 PM

Eastern Lofts is Getting a New Neighbor at 3029 Glenwood Avenue in Brewerytown

Current construction progress:

Rendering:

Read/view more:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...lenwood-avenue

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It has sort of gone under the radar, but Spark recently bought a former UPenn Lab Facility in Glenolden Delaware County to build a manufacturing facility.

I never realized anything like that existed in that part of Delaware County...but looked it up on google street view...it's a cool old mid-century facility on a bunch of land.

If that's the sort of thing that gets re-used and adapted, I'm all for it.

Great way to bring jobs to all the nooks and crannies in our region...not just the usual suspects (KoP, Conshy, Center City, West Philly, Navy Yard, etc).

Super promising.
Indeed.
There's a small pharma hub in the Far Northeast that would be nice to grow . Check out 3001 Red Lion. AstraZeneca and others have what I imagine are at least packaging facilities there. It would be great to see that grow a lot,maybe even get an institution involved like Penn does down by Greys Ferry.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 9:48 PM

Goose Island Brewhouse in Fishtown permanently closes in Covid-19 fallout

Arghh! That one hurts. That's a tough blow to that development over there with the Filmore and such. This was a nice addition. Sad to see it close down...

Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ia-closes.html

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
They were doing test bores I believe on the site of the planned "Ridge Flats" apartment building in East Falls last week

Here's the project for those that forget:

https://www.phillyvoice.com/ridge-fl...al-renderings/
Very Halloween-y

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:04 AM

I found myself in West Philly yesterday afternoon, so I thought I'd run around and take pics of one of my favorite interests: covering development in some of the less-gentrified parts of the city.

At the intersection of 39th and Pennsgrove, which is just behind the SEPTA/Amtrak (Keystone Corridor) tracks:

Active renovations are occurring on both corners of the north side of 40th and Girard:

An excellent example of a historically-accurate new construction project on the 1700 block of Marlton Avenue:

A project has begun at a long-vacant parcel along the 4100 block of Parkside Avenue:

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post

An excellent example of a historically-accurate new construction project on the 1700 block of Marlton Avenue:

[/img]
Parkside is such an incredible part of town. The new building really pales in comparison to the genuine article they're trying to copy, but I nonetheless appreciate the effort. A lot better than most new construction in that part of town.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development