HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #41  
Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 6:47 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,238
Hoarding visible here:


Source
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #42  
Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 8:27 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,238
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #43  
Old Posted May 7, 2020, 11:46 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,001
Killam is putting the brakes on new construction due to COVID. Unfortunately that means this one is going to sit for a while longer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #44  
Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:08 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Killam is putting the brakes on new construction due to COVID. Unfortunately that means this one is going to sit for a while longer.
Hopefully this doesn't have an effect on the quality of the building long-term. It was looking like it was going to be one of the nicer developments in the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #45  
Old Posted Jun 28, 2020, 7:44 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,900
This one apparently has to be approved again. Something to the effect that permits were not filed for construction before the Old South Suburb Heritage Conservation District was approved. And that approval nullified the existing approval for this development.

https://killamreit.com/new-developme...ax-ns/governor

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #46  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 12:05 AM
Dmajackson's Avatar
Dmajackson Dmajackson is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: B3K Halifax, NS
Posts: 8,499
So this is one is going before Design Review Committee next week for re-approval. The proposal is essentially the same as before but Killam is now proposing few units (larger units) and ground-floor commercial facing Hollis Street (two units on either side of residential entrance).

https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...3021Report.pdf
__________________
Halifax Developments Blog

- DJ
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #47  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:25 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,238
One of the updated renderings:

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #48  
Old Posted Sep 4, 2020, 2:41 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,536
From 48 residential units (2018) to 13 units... that's disappointing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #49  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 12:30 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
From 48 residential units (2018) to 13 units... that's disappointing.
I cannot imagine what those will rent for. They may be filling demand for larger-than-2br units. I think the largest unit in the Alexander is a 2br/2bath, but they start at $1925.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #50  
Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 12:41 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
I cannot imagine what those will rent for. They may be filling demand for larger-than-2br units. I think the largest unit in the Alexander is a 2br/2bath, but they start at $1925.
The application to the DRC linked to above shows nine 2-beds and three 3-beds. And they range from nearly 2,000 sq. ft to about 3,700--very spacious, mansion-y apartments. I imagine they'll be very $$$.

I suppose there's a market for that, and this feels like the right location and type of building. Still, it also feels like you could double the number of units in here and they'd still be pretty sizable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #51  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2020, 9:25 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,238
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #52  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 7:10 AM
alps's Avatar
alps alps is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,536
Very cool shot, with the cranes looming in the background.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #53  
Old Posted Nov 5, 2020, 11:03 PM
bluenoser's Avatar
bluenoser bluenoser is offline
hi
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 592
This article might belong in the housing market thread, but as it pertains to this project: sounds like they are planning to break ground early next month.

ROGER TAYLOR: Killam Apartment REIT CEO concerned about opposition to property development


The Governor, a Killam Apartment REIT six-storey development at the corner of Hollis and Bishop streets in Halifax, will have 13 residential units and ground-floor commercial space. Amenities include a common entertaining kitchen, lounge, library and rooftop terrace. Killam is finalizing permits with the municipality and expects to break ground in early December, with units available by mid-to-late 2022.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bu...opment-517341/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #54  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 12:50 PM
atbw atbw is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenoser View Post
This article might belong in the housing market thread, but as it pertains to this project: sounds like they are planning to break ground early next month.

ROGER TAYLOR: Killam Apartment REIT CEO concerned about opposition to property development


The Governor, a Killam Apartment REIT six-storey development at the corner of Hollis and Bishop streets in Halifax, will have 13 residential units and ground-floor commercial space. Amenities include a common entertaining kitchen, lounge, library and rooftop terrace. Killam is finalizing permits with the municipality and expects to break ground in early December, with units available by mid-to-late 2022.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bu...opment-517341/
Using affordable housing as an excuse to push for less regulation on objectively luxury developments is quite the argument.

HRM has shown they’re interested in reducing costs for apartments that actually meet that need. The money will be there if they want it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #55  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 5:01 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 27,238
I didn't get the sense that Killam was asking for special treatment or subsidies. It sounds like they want timely buildings permits, which seems like a reasonable request.

If you don't build luxury housing then the people who would have lived in it end up bidding up and moving into the next best thing. You get a game of musical chairs that ultimately can affect people trying to rent the humblest apartment. Here in Vancouver it's to the point where lots of well-paid professionals live in what would be considered low-end apartments in Halifax, including basement apartments.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #56  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 6:18 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,789
Certainly there can be no serious argument that the planning processes in Halifax are overly bureaucratic, slow, pedantic, ponderous and very expensive to navigate. Major reform is needed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #57  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2020, 7:09 PM
Good Baklava's Avatar
Good Baklava Good Baklava is online now
Somewhat Pretentious
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 387
Article seems to dramatize the issue into a struggle against some great conspiracy...

No personal objections to the proposal though, the recent render is very nice!
__________________
Haligonian in exile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #58  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 4:17 PM
kzt79 kzt79 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I didn't get the sense that Killam was asking for special treatment or subsidies. It sounds like they want timely buildings permits, which seems like a reasonable request.

If you don't build luxury housing then the people who would have lived in it end up bidding up and moving into the next best thing. You get a game of musical chairs that ultimately can affect people trying to rent the humblest apartment. Here in Vancouver it's to the point where lots of well-paid professionals live in what would be considered low-end apartments in Halifax, including basement apartments.
Basic supply and demand. It seems hardly anyone has any grasp of this concept, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #59  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 12:34 AM
Good Baklava's Avatar
Good Baklava Good Baklava is online now
Somewhat Pretentious
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Basic supply and demand. It seems hardly anyone has any grasp of this concept, unfortunately.
If you’ve read the earlier posts you can see the supply was recently decreased on this project.

Even then, while this valid point has repeatedly been stated I would shy away from calling it a simple concept. An earlier landlord poster gave his view that supply stops housing from getting too expensive, but doesn’t substitute for true affordable housing. Let me raise just one problem with restricting our lens to supply: what about those who purchase a second or third property in speculation and exhaust that supply? This scenario isn’t novel and has played out across multiple cities around the world.
__________________
Haligonian in exile.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #60  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2020, 11:46 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Baklava View Post
Even then, while this valid point has repeatedly been stated I would shy away from calling it a simple concept. An earlier landlord poster gave his view that supply stops housing from getting too expensive, but doesn’t substitute for true affordable housing. Let me raise just one problem with restricting our lens to supply: what about those who purchase a second or third property in speculation and exhaust that supply? This scenario isn’t novel and has played out across multiple cities around the world.
Well, it's unlikely that a "speculative" purchase sits empty. Unless it was purchased to be redeveloped, it remains part of the supply of housing stock and would be expected to be offered on the rental market at whatever rental price the market would support. It may be useful for those in planning schools to have a mandatory course on economics and in particular how the housing market works, if they are going to be recommending regimes that can have a great impact on the housing market in a community.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:01 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.