HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
My new construction permit map now goes back to the very beginning of 2012 if anyone is interested. That's most likely going to be the furthest back I'll take this map for now:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/drive?...7D&usp=sharing
I keep getting a 404 error trying to access it

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
I keep getting a 404 error trying to access it
Weird..I went to another browser where I'm not logged into Google at all. Clicked on it and it found it. I had an issue a few weeks ago with a friend of mine though and he solved it by copying the link (in this forum you'd have to probably right click and copy link). Try this first maybe though:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...934999999&z=10

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 11:34 AM

North and Elston - SE corner

May 21

there are door openings on the other side of what is obviously an elevator shaft.

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:22 PM

The Al's Beef on the SE corner of Ontario and Wells is moving. Stated reason is "the owners were unable to extend their lease with a new landlord".

Any word on who owns the property and if any plans are in the works? It's a small building with a large parking lot / drive-in and a billboard. Would love to see that redeveloped to a more urban use.

(and don't worry - Al's is moving a block away to the corner of Wells and Ohio, I think where Yu Choy chinese restaurant used to be.)

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:37 PM

I think another new building, but only one story is going to take it's place - another restaurant. Glad Al's isn't going too far!

Old Posted May 29, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelfish View Post
The Al's Beef on the SE corner of Ontario and Wells is moving. Stated reason is "the owners were unable to extend their lease with a new landlord".

Any word on who owns the property and if any plans are in the works? It's a small building with a large parking lot / drive-in and a billboard. Would love to see that redeveloped to a more urban use.

(and don't worry - Al's is moving a block away to the corner of Wells and Ohio, I think where Yu Choy chinese restaurant used to be.)
If you look at the High Rise thread you'll see I have more info on this as does someone else. The building was sold in February to new owners. Those new owners decided not to renew the lease with Al's because they decided to sign on a new lease for a Big Star (One Off Hospitality). Someone else responded to my info by saying a new building might be built there (1 story?) With a small patio in Big Star fashion..

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 7:46 AM

Haven't seen this mentioned online yet, but I went by Old Town Park and there's a "Aldi's Coming Soon" sign in the base of tower 1.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 11:46 AM

RUSH - 121 S Ashland

May 25

Chicago | RUSH by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
Haven't seen this mentioned online yet, but I went by Old Town Park and there's a "Aldi's Coming Soon" sign in the base of tower 1.
Missed that - would have expected a Whole Paycheck. (The Jewel down the street is pretty nice)

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Missed that - would have expected a Whole Paycheck. (The Jewel down the street is pretty nice)
There's a Whole Foods already on Kingsbury a little south of North Ave. Also there is a Plum Market on Wells just north of Division which is more upscale and more expensive than Whole Foods last I checked.

Aldi also has a growing customer base of various types of people so can't say im surprised. They sell a bit of produce now (some organic) that is good quality and cheaper than other stores..thats one reason why it's been growing so much the last handful of years.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 3:21 PM
TL;DR

^ That's great news. That space was always intended for a supermarket, although I agree the neighborhood is already well-served by TWO Jewels and Plum Market within a short walking distance, two Potash locations and Target a little further away, etc.

I also thought this location was prime for a Whole Foods, but I guess with the relocation of their existing store to One Chicago they can serve both River North and Gold Coast. One Chicago is undoubtedly a more luxe location as well.

Old Posted May 30, 2020, 3:55 PM

Also, there is a Whole Foods already a block from the One Chicago Square location. Moving over there probably won't piss many people off.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:23 AM

7152 W North

May 26

Not much progress apparent, but pretty sure it is still active.
Chicago | 7152 W North by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:43 AM

Lightfoot introduced an ordinance to legalize accessory dwelling units (press release) a couple weeks back.

Quote:
The code would also allow at least one ADU per building in all residential zoning districts, however ADUs proposed for buildings in select single-family districts (RS1, RS2) would require a special use permit from the Zoning Board of Appeals.
Anyone have a read on how binding a constraint that special use permit will be?

Either way this is a good step towards more affordable housing.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 3:59 AM
TL;DR

^ That's actually an improvement, I think previous versions of the ordinance didn't allow ADUs in RS1/RS2 at all. Certainly the process of applying for and receiving a special use from ZBA is a complicated one; most people are probably better off hiring a lawyer to help them navigate it, so the cost is a serious issue. It probably ends up at around $5000 in lawyer fees and city fees just to get the special use, which isn't great for low-income homeowners on the Far South Side or Southwest Side who might want to build an ADU. Developers, and homeowners in better-off parts of the city, might have an easier time with the fees but I'm guessing the intent of the law is to allow for true granny-flat/in-law situations. Unfortunate since multi-generational households are much more common in the lower-income areas.

That said, most of the neighborhoods you think of as "single-family" are probably RS3 or higher so a single ADU will be allowed as-of-right, probably 60-70% of the city's land area. RS1/RS2 are mainly neighborhoods on the fringes of the city... basically west of Austin or north of Lawrence on the North Side, and west of Pulaski/south of 79th on the South Side. The entire West Side to the city limit is RS-3 or higher. Also, all lakefront neighborhoods are RS-3 or higher, and parts of the city outside of those boundaries above are RS-3 or higher as well.

Unfortunately the ARO ordinance does not make any kind of accommodation to transit... the are around Harlem Blue Line, for example, is all RS-1 and RS-2 but could greatly benefit from some "gentle density". Same for the Pulaski Orange Line, or the 95th Red Line. These are all bus transfer stations with very few walk-up riders, but it doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited by ardecila; Jun 2, 2020 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 9:59 PM

Logan Square

May 21

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 12:00 AM

121 S Ashland - RUSH

May 31

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:46 AM

^ I wonder if there will be a skywalk across ashland to connect to the rest of Rush. Yeah I know it would be a massive skywalk but would look so awesome.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:15 PM

1122 W Chicago

May 31

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 2:40 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
^ I wonder if there will be a skywalk across ashland to connect to the rest of Rush. Yeah I know it would be a massive skywalk but would look so awesome.
Yes, it's shown in the renderings. There will be an underground tunnel as well to connect utilities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development