HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Those are 2 dinky looking arenas. I doubt they have locker rooms anywhere near appropriate for the NHL. And how do you set up cameras in those small confines? The ceiling is so low the puck will hit something up there an inordinate amount of times.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:26 PM
Community Guy

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:34 PM
the first stamp is free

^ you would assume that the hub cities would all be in the same country. I doubt the NHL wants to have to deal with teams crossing over the border once this thing starts.

I wish Edmonton luck - but to me, it would make the most sense for all the hub cities to be in one country - and if that's the case, it would almost certainly be a US-only based event.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:40 PM

Jets could be a real Darkhorse this playoffs with such a strong finish in their last dozen games or so and now we had a lot of time to heal up our massive amount of injuries I could see Scheifele really tearing it up this summer and Helly on top of his game this year in net.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 8:42 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ you would assume that the hub cities would all be in the same country. I doubt the NHL wants to have to deal with teams crossing over the border once this thing starts.

I wish Edmonton luck - but to me, it would make the most sense for all the hub cities to be in one country - and if that's the case, it would almost certainly be a US-only based event.
Who knows, that does make sense, but I am hearing about more developed plans each day here...

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:36 PM
Community Guy

Frank Seravalli
@frank_seravalli
·
1h
#NHL commissioner Gary Bettman expected to formally unveil the league's 24-team return to play format this afternoon at 4:30pm, followed by a media availability at 6pm.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 5:59 PM

Jets will have to use an invisible white out this playoff year

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 6:17 PM
arf

I can't really think of a good location in the East right now to hold this so I'm going with Gary's love children of Las Vegas and Phoenix.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 6:36 PM

Not to be too cynical, but I am looking forward to our two weeks of hockey before people start getting sick and the whole season gets axed.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 8:42 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Not to be too cynical, but I am looking forward to our two weeks of hockey before people start getting sick and the whole season gets axed.
I too would like to see some hockey. I love the game. I'm not sure about this plan, but isolate everyone involved and it should be fairly safe those involved.

Just not sure they can actually do the isolation.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:13 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Jets will have to use an invisible white out this playoff year
Maybe that will work better than the actual whiteout does.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Maybe that will work better than the actual whiteout does.
Fingers crossed, we play Calgary in the first round so hopefully we beat them again like the Jets did in the 80's

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:04 PM
ハルウララ

Nevada has the most lax laws regarding workers during COVID IIRC so Vegas will probably be one of the hubs depending on what happens with the NBA. My other guess would be Dallas. Can't imagine California signs off on LA and I highly doubt any Canadian locations are selected with the restrictions and health guidelines we have today and moving into the future.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Fingers crossed, we play Calgary in the first round so hopefully we beat them again like the Jets did in the 80's
Beat Calgary and then lose to the Oilers, the good old days for Jets fans!

‘I believe in science’ is a statement generally made by people who don’t understand much about it. - Judith Curry, Professor Emeritus GIT

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Beat Calgary and then lose to the Oilers, the good old days for Jets fans!
Sums it up too bad Fergie never drafted a goalie to help Hawerchuk out while the Oilers had Fuhr and Andy Moog

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:12 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 1:17 AM

I heard on Pat MacAfee's show today that because of the federal government requiring 14 day player quarantines that Canadian hub cities are likely out of the running. Vegas and Columbus OH are looking like the front runners due to hotel space and close practice facilities.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:06 AM
Community Guy

I'd agree.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:40 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
I heard on Pat MacAfee's show today that because of the federal government requiring 14 day player quarantines that Canadian hub cities are likely out of the running. Vegas and Columbus OH are looking like the front runners due to hotel space and close practice facilities.
I'm guessing the NHL probably isn't trying too hard to get the federal government to change its mind. This is going to be about trying to get a ton of publicity in the US while there is a lack of alternative sports coverage. They'll want the league to look as American as possible.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 10:48 AM

If the league is talking about training camps not starting until after July 1, they can make the hub city decision enough in advance for the players to be positioned in those cities and quarantined. They are going to have to quarantine wherever they go anyway. By the time the Stanley Cup Final rolls around, travel restrictions will likely be relaxed somewhat, or the league will be able to show one or the other government they have their stuff together with this that the teams can travel to wherever the Final will be. But I won't be surprised if the league picks 2 US cities instead of 1 in each country. Definitely not 2 Canadian cities.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada