HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Ottawa might be a great place for developing automated vehicles because of our tech industry but it's definitely not a great place for testing them. 6 months of the year we have potential for inclement weather in which an automated vehicle can not operate. The cameras and sensors they rely upon don't work when they are covered in road grime, ice, slush, snow, etc.
That might actually make Ottawa ideal. Sort of like Iqaluit gets all the large jets from winter testing.

A large automated vehicle test facility has been setup at Woodroffe and West Hunt Club, along with a public road test track in Kanata.

https://www.investottawa.ca/ottawal5/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
Good sleuthing. I think you've nailed it as a Broccolini project. This one could raise traffic complaints from the nearby minivan residents.
This totally makes sense and I was suspicious about Broccolini involvement by the project name. North Gower is Viper Industrial warehouse, now Barrhaven is Python Project. I suppose the next one will be cobra? Are these snakes all indigenous to the "Amazon" jungle? The Viper project went to the LPAT. Maybe their is a client who is impatient so the Python project is the result and Viper will become dead.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 11:12 PM
National Capital Region

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 11:20 PM

https://www.obj.ca/article/shopify-r...-cent-year-ago

Quote:
Shopify confirms new Ottawa R&D centre as stock soars following Q4 profit

By: Craig Lord, OBJ
Published: Feb 12, 2020 8:35am EST

Shopify confirmed plans Wednesday to open an Ottawa-based R&D centre to trial new robotics and fulfilment technologies as the company reported a rare profit in its fourth-quarter earnings.

Shopify's stock skyrocketed to a record level Wednesday morning after the e-commerce company reported 47 per cent revenue growth compared with the same quarter last year.

Ottawa’s e-commerce giant saw its stock spike by more than 17 per cent to reach $771.81 in early morning trading on the TSX, but by the end of the day it had fallen to $705.90

The jump followed Shopify, which keeps its books in U.S. dollars, reporting that its revenue totalled nearly US$505.2 million for the three-month period that ended Dec. 31, up from about US$343.9 million a year earlier.

Shopify executives said on a call with analysts that the revenue lift was courtesy of holiday sales, new currency and payment features and a slew of new merchants using its software, including entertainment giant Cirque du Soleil, apparel retailer Mark's, rapper Travis Scott and footwear brand Toms.

It came as the company has been busy getting ready to go head-to-head with Amazon.com Inc. with a network of fulfilment centres Shopify is building in the U.S. to help merchants lower shipping costs and ensure quick deliveries.

Shopify chief financial officer Amy Shapero confirmed Wednesday that the company is opening a research and development centre for its fulfilment network in Ottawa, an initiative first reported by OBJ late last year. The company will fund the R&D centre’s operations with a "small portion" of the $1-billion pool of cash allocated for the network, she said.

“We opened an R&D Center in Ottawa to learn about fulfillment first-hand, including trialing new warehouse robotics and fulfillment technology. We will be fulfilling a limited number of orders in Canada as part of our learning, beginning later this summer,” a Shopify spokesperson told OBJ via email. The operation will be staffed by a “minimal number of employees,” according to statements obtained by the Canadian Press.

Shopify first let its plans slip in job postings in late 2019, which sought Ottawa-based roles such as warehouse site managers. Sources in Ottawa’s real estate sector confirmed to OBJ that Shopify had been looking around prospective industrial sites in recent months.

Shopify has not responded to requests for comment on where the company’s R&D centre is set.

"We don't just want to make plans from the periphery," said Harley Finkelstein, Shopify's chief operating officer, during Wednesday’s conference call. "We actually want to get into it and really figure out what we need to do, and so the best way for us to do that, as Shopify has always done, is get our hands dirty and get into the trenches."

To help with such research and development, Shopify acquired 6 River Systems Inc., a Massachusetts-based company that specializes in warehouse automation powered by robots and artificial intelligence.

"Even though we are happy with our initial progress, it's important to remember that we are in the early stages of a five-year plan for the Shopify Fulfillment Network. Our merchants need us to get this right and that will take time," Finkelstein said.

Aside from the centre, Shopify is planning on hiring 1,000 people in Vancouver and opening its first permanent office there. It has also announced that it will lease space at the Well complex under construction in Toronto.

Both are signs of the immense growth that Shopify – long considered Canada's tech darling – has undergone in recent years. The company has racked up more than one million merchants using its offering.

CEO Tobi Lütke said during the call that the primary factor limiting Shopify’s growth potential is its access to engineering talent. Though he said adding engineers is a challenge for the company, he also admitted the company’s high profile probably gives it better access to top talent than other tech companies competing for hires.

In 2019, the number of merchants on the Shopify platform achieving over $1 million in gross merchandise value – a term used to measure sales – grew by 44 per cent and the number of consumers buying from its merchants shot up by 37 per cent to hit nearly 300 million.

In its last quarter, the company reported a profit of US$771,000, compared with a loss of US$1.5 million. That amounts to a penny per share compared with a loss of a penny for the last three months of 2018.

Shopify also said its adjusted net income for the quarter amounted to US$50.0 million or 43 cents per share, compared with adjusted net income of US$29.4 million or 27 cents per share for the fourth quarter of 2018.

Analysts on average had expected an adjusted profit of 24 cents per share, according to financial markets data firm Refinitiv.

Shopify now expects a first-quarter revenue between US$440 million and US$446 million and full-year revenue in a range of US$2.13 billion to US$2.16 billion.
From rocketphish's last post in the Amazon Distro thread.

Green is also Shopify's colours. I don't see how this can be anything, but them.

Also the location is pretty good for an urban planning perspective, IMO. You have the possibility of pretty good connections to Fallowfield Station and Barrahaven Centre. Hopefully we see more employment in this node next to Tomlinson's awesome HQ.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 12:10 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeed View Post
https://www.obj.ca/article/shopify-r...-cent-year-ago

From rocketphish's last post in the Amazon Distro thread.

Green is also Shopify's colours. I don't see how this can be anything, but them.

Also the location is pretty good for an urban planning perspective, IMO. You have the possibility of pretty good connections to Fallowfield Station and Barrahaven Centre. Hopefully we see more employment in this node next to Tomlinson's awesome HQ.
Agreed.. this project is going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars and will be the largest building in Ottawa, bigger than the Nortel complex (2.2 million sq ft). It has to be Shopify.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
Agreed.. this project is going to cost hundreds of millions of dollars and will be the largest building in Ottawa, bigger than the Nortel complex (2.2 million sq ft). It has to be Shopify.
The DND Campus (former Nortel) is over a dozen buildings, none of which is overly large. I think the second largest building in Ottawa would be Rideau Centre/Westin/Shaw Centre which IS one single building (maybe larger than this new distribution centre all together?), followed by the Amazon Distribution Centre, followed by Place Bell and Place de Ville 2, but I'm not sure.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 2:13 AM

If this is being spearheaded by Broccolini and based on the Amazon timeline by the time the formal application hits the city website etc, the building will be half built and City planners will be told to keep quiet.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 1:18 PM

I am curious how North Gower plays into this. This new proposal is too different from the N.G. proposal to be a replacement for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
The DND Campus (former Nortel) is over a dozen buildings, none of which is overly large. I think the second largest building in Ottawa would be Rideau Centre/Westin/Shaw Centre which IS one single building (maybe larger than this new distribution centre all together?), followed by the Amazon Distribution Centre, followed by Place Bell and Place de Ville 2, but I'm not sure.
C.D. Howe would beats PdV C and Place Bell.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I am curious how North Gower plays into this. This new proposal is too different from the N.G. proposal to be a replacement for it.

C.D. Howe would beats PdV C and Place Bell.
Yes actually I remember seeing that in the OBJ guide! That building is deceptively large for a 17 story building.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 2:52 PM

I read through more of the planning/site plan/etc documents than I want to admit... but within them, they state more than once that it is their intention to have this project completed by 2021. (yes - I had to triple check that when I read it too).

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 3:48 PM

That is one ambitious timeline. Can't help but think Covid-19 might derail the project.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 7:54 PM

COVID might push it a bit, but it is likely a steel frame building. It can go up pretty quick.

Amazon's didn't take long.

Also we know that these big economically important, job creator projects tend to get their own set of rules. Building and planning approvals tend to be done in parallel.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2020, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_speed3108 View Post
COVID might push it a bit, but it is likely a steel frame building. It can go up pretty quick.

Amazon's didn't take long.

Also we know that these big economically important, job creator projects tend to get their own set of rules. Building and planning approvals tend to be done in parallel.
Build first, then once it is up file the as builts as the building permit set. Pretty standard in Ottawa on projects that are a feel good project politically.

Old Posted May 24, 2020, 10:37 PM

After staying home and local the past 2 and a half months I finally went for a drive today. Grubbing and clearing is full steam ahead. With most of the clearing done I was surprised how much the topography rises steadily from Tomlinsons HQ towards HWY. 416. As I recall from the submitted plans a cut wall face will extend downwards from the HWY. At 5 stories I am guessing only 2 may rise above and be visible from the Highway.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:43 PM

I am sure you folks are wrong about this being Shopify.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 4:54 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
I am sure you folks are wrong about this being Shopify.
Do you know something that we don't? Please share...

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 2:38 AM

I don’t know what it is, but this isn’t how fulfillment warehouses are built.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 11:52 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkArconio View Post
I don’t know what it is, but this isn’t how fulfillment warehouses are built.
True, but according to a quote in the OBJ article reposted above, they aren't planning for a normal warehouse facility:

Quote:
“We opened an R&D Center in Ottawa to learn about fulfillment first-hand, including trialing new warehouse robotics and fulfillment technology. We will be fulfilling a limited number of orders in Canada as part of our learning, beginning later this summer,” a Shopify spokesperson told OBJ via email. The operation will be staffed by a “minimal number of employees,”

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:08 AM

“Limited number of orders” doesn’t warrant a 7 story warehouse. And you can look up the 6river robots - they’re designed to operate in a perfectly normal warehouse. In general, extra floors don’t make sense for warehouses. Better to get move farther out of town and get a larger footprint like amazon did.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus CLS View Post
After staying home and local the past 2 and a half months I finally went for a drive today. Grubbing and clearing is full steam ahead. With most of the clearing done I was surprised how much the topography rises steadily from Tomlinsons HQ towards HWY. 416. As I recall from the submitted plans a cut wall face will extend downwards from the HWY. At 5 stories I am guessing only 2 may rise above and be visible from the Highway.
I was out and about yesterday and exited the 416 NB at Fallowfield and to be honest couldn't even see the clearing as there are some trees next to the off ramp that have leafed out and they screen the moonblasted appearance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs