HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:42 AM

Who paid for the statue anyway?

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:30 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
So is the Regent Street Hotel project officially dead? There hasn't been news about it in ages.
Its been dead fo quite a while. I'm sure something will go there eventually.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 6:31 AM
A.K.A. Vigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Wouldn’t a statue of the founder of the salt lake tribune be more appropriate for that spot? The whole thing seems inappropriate and narcissistic to me. But I get it...if you’re going to erect a statue of the dude, where else are you going to put it? I can’t think of any other building downtown he improved upon. Unfortunately, I can think of multiple buildings he owned which he neglected and let rot. It’s also not incredible to suspect the guy was guilty of arson and attempted to burn down not just one building, but all of arrow press square in order to land the CCH on his property.
A statue of Rocky would be pretty dope. APS was in bad shape it needed to go. I don't think the building next to it was arson. I'm not even sure he owned the building at the time. He wouldn't have needed to burn anything down on the property to tear it down. APS would have been tore down eventualy when he was ready to develop the property... The same way that everything on 100S will be ripped down. The only difference between APS and what he owned on 100S is that APS was not safe and not leasable until development. The buildings on 100S are still usable until development.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:09 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajiuO View Post
Its been dead fo quite a while. I'm sure something will go there eventually.
Correct the previous version is dead. However, Dakota Pacific picked it up this year and buzz is that we will see some drawings in the next few months. I've heard that from the development and city side.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Correct the previous version is dead. However, Dakota Pacific picked it up this year and buzz is that we will see some drawings in the next few months. I've heard that from the development and city side.
Not promising given that most of their portfolio is suburban strip malls...

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 12:02 PM

Wasatch, a few of us made that comment about Dakota recently but Marv pointed out that Dakota also has extensive holdings and partnerships in numerous developments of significant height that are not covered in that website.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Wasatch, a few of us made that comment about Dakota recently but Marv pointed out that Dakota also has extensive holdings and partnerships in numerous developments of significant height that are not covered in that website.
Please share more info/links.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 7:07 PM

I'm sure Marvland would be happy to refresh your memory regarding his post.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2020, 10:41 PM

Concrete footings are being poured today at the Liberty Sky site.

Hopefully the building will be rising soon.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 2:39 AM
Space Magi

Salt Lake City’s inland port lawsuit thrown out by judge

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on the inland port. Seems like the city should be in charge of a huge development on its land but I don't know all of the nuances with this issue.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:20 AM

Quote:

I'm curious to know everyone's thoughts on the inland port. Seems like the city should be in charge of a huge development on its land but I don't know all of the nuances with this issue.
The City had completed a Master Plan for the Inland Port area and began the work to implement it. This action is what caused the State to step in and claim ownership. The State said that the project was too big and too important for a City to own and run because they are too small to grasp the full details.

This is where the fighting started and it escalated when the State decided to give the Port Authority 100% of the increase in property taxes for 25+ years from when the property is developed in the inland port area. This money can go to infrastructure for the port or can be used as incentives for companies and developers.

I do lean more towards the port than away from it as it will lead to growth of the City directly with the possibility of increased focus by companies looking for a Regional HQ or better as their operations increase in the area like Stadler Rail.

I will say that the number of zoning letter requests for properties within the Inland Port area has grown dramatically over the last year and while the City has primary zoning control for the area, the zoning can be appealed to the Port Authority. No appeals have been made to date.

There are a lot of warehouses going up currently in the Inland Port already and this is projected to increase. Additional trucking companies are setting up locations and expanding current locations in anticipation of the coming growth.

I don't think things will really speed up until there is a local Port of Entry staging and holding area is constructed either around the UP facility or a new facility is constructed, tentatively planned for an area near the new Prison. This might be the best choice as it would allow for increased rail competition. I think this is where the State leading the port could be a benefit due to possible regulations and permits that could be needed and possible incentives or course.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:28 AM

It's really troublesome to set a precedent that the state can just carve out part of an existing municipality without the city's consent, then create an unelected board with very little oversight that will determine how best to manage it.

Not to even mention the absolutely massive environmental concerns that come with this.

And frankly I don't buy the economic excuse either. Utah's economy is doing just fine without it.

The inland port is a disaster in the making. I hope the state supreme court will see sense and kill it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
It's really troublesome to set a precedent that the state can just carve out part of an existing municipality without the city's consent, then create an unelected board with very little oversight that will determine how best to manage it.

Not to even mention the absolutely massive environmental concerns that come with this.

And frankly I don't buy the economic excuse either. Utah's economy is doing just fine without it.

The inland port is a disaster in the making. I hope the state supreme court will see sense and kill it, but I'm not getting my hopes up.
A thousand % this. I agree completely.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 6:17 PM
Transit Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post

It's Utah. It's been a good ol' boys club since Brigham set foot here. The old white dudes in the two large phaluses (The capitol and COB) don't give two shits about separations of powers of executive, legislative and judicial or the separation of church and state. Inland port is a bad idea but even bad ideas make that $$, which is all that matters.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 7:35 PM

^^^^
Not to mention the whole Greg Hughes fiasco appointing himself to the board of the inland port or what ever. The whole way the inland port went down with everyone involved was incredibly disappointing regardless of what you think about the port itself.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 8:15 PM

Can't the city try to get around the judges ruling in another court? I agree with you guys about the State abusing their power over the City. This is also similar to the state prison relocation.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:16 PM

^^^^
I very much believe it’s part two of the prison relocation scheme if you will. Opportunists are driving this in my view. I’d have to brush up on some of the articles I read about this project but nothing was done right. I don’t understand how Mr Hughes thought they way he inserted himself onto the board was going to fly under the radar and not create an uproar.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2020, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Can't the city try to get around the judges ruling in another court? I agree with you guys about the State abusing their power over the City. This is also similar to the state prison relocation.
I know a lot people are upset about it, but the state probably did nothing illegal or that would violate the Constitution. In the U.S. there are only 2 governmental sovereign entities, the Federal and State government and everything else are legal subsidiaries of those. The state can create or allow to be created lesser governmental bodies like cities and counties, but because the state is sovereign, they have the power to take away any cities jurisdiction. Where they may get in trouble is if an attorney can prove they didn’t follow their own laws and/or allow due process in creating the IP.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 2:56 AM

On the development front the Marmalade project is coming along nicely and you can already get a sense of the life that project will bring to that area. Downtowns northern entrance has always had a dilapidated feel in that area but this project and all the recent projects around West High have really infused a shot of energy to this part of the city. There are some store fronts just west and across the street of the marmalade project that I hope will soon fill in with businesses. The store fronts sat empty for sometime and I was a little discouraged about this areas future. It didn’t bold well at the time. I’m hoping the Marmalade project turns out as good as I think it could for this part of the city.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2020, 4:55 AM
SLC Lifer

Quote:

Yep. The state sucks in how they instituted it, especially Greg Hughes bullshit ego trip. That guy is an assclown who will be rightfully melted into a pool of sadness in the governor's race.They deserve every protest and lawsuit and bad press they get. That move by the assislature actually illegally impeded already in place development deals like Stadler Rail, putting the city in defualt through no fault of their own.

The state will probably win all of the lawsuits and none of it matters anyway. The port started a decade ago and it is well under way whether any of us likes it or not. Doesn't matter how many deep debates we want or how many people poop on cop cars. It's over. The port is already here. We would be better served to focus on mitigating the negative effects of of it. Environmental, rail traffic increase, pollution etc. We can't stop it but we can shape it.

Last edited by Marvland; Jan 10, 2020 at 1:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West