HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:15 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
It's along the mall so I wouldn't expect anything too tall. I'd like to see more residential, apartments or condos.
Might be wrong but I thought the sunlight ordinance or whatever governs shadows on 16th Street primarily affects the south side of 16th, not really the north side. pretty sure they can max out their FAR on height. Seems like a tough spot for residential though. Given it's a Makovsky property, I suspect it will be vacant for quite awhile while they search for a ground lease developer, which is tougher than outright sale but seems to be their marching orders recently.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Might be wrong but I thought the sunlight ordinance or whatever governs shadows on 16th Street primarily affects the south side of 16th, not really the north side. pretty sure they can max out their FAR on height. Seems like a tough spot for residential though. Given it's a Makovsky property, I suspect it will be vacant for quite awhile while they search for a ground lease developer, which is tougher than outright sale but seems to be their marching orders recently.
This is my understanding as well. No height restrictions on the north side.

I just looked it up, and in the zoning code it says that Downtown FAR is 10.0. That seems surprisingly low given that we have 65 story towers but I'm always surprised how much usable floor area is actually lost when mocking up a building for a given site - plus there are also density bonuses in there that I didn't read in detail. So for a relatively small parcel, roughly 20 stories is probably a fair guess for an FAR of 10.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:04 PM

The article says the DDP is planning to plant 500 trees. That is a great start, but the time table of 3 years is kinda long.

"Downtown Denver has about 1,800 trees. That’s good for a canopy that covers just 4 percent of the area. And that’s good for last place among the 20 largest cities in the U.S., according to the Downtown Denver Partnership.

Planting and maintaining 500 trees is a major investment — about $9 million — that will fill gaps in the sparse canopy but only to an extent. Bernstein said raising the shade cover to 10 percent would demand 2,500 more trees."

https://denverite.com/2019/12/08/den...ny-more-trees/

Isn't there some type of requirement for developers to plant trees along their developments? Growing a canopy is a big task for one organization, but seems pretty manageable if divided up.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
The article says the DDP is planning to plant 500 trees. That is a great start, but the time table of 3 years is kinda long.

"Downtown Denver has about 1,800 trees. That’s good for a canopy that covers just 4 percent of the area. And that’s good for last place among the 20 largest cities in the U.S., according to the Downtown Denver Partnership.

Planting and maintaining 500 trees is a major investment — about $9 million — that will fill gaps in the sparse canopy but only to an extent. Bernstein said raising the shade cover to 10 percent would demand 2,500 more trees."

https://denverite.com/2019/12/08/den...ny-more-trees/

Isn't there some type of requirement for developers to plant trees along their developments? Growing a canopy is a big task for one organization, but seems pretty manageable if divided up.
We can plant all we want, but actually making trees grow along most of the downtown streets can be quite the challenge for urban foresters, I'm sure. The mall worked because they put some serious infrastructure in to support the trees. But elsewhere, it seems they often quickly die.

I take it that in the downtown environment with the urban heat island you need A LOT of water to sustain the trees, not to mention accounting for the impacts of pollution/car exhaust.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
Nice hotel proposal in the works for LoHi:
https://businessden.com/2019/12/05/s...block-in-lohi/
Nice enough design, but requires teardown of the last 2 historic structures remaining on Central. In typical Denver tradition it'll probably happen, but I happen to think they add some variety to the street and I wish the developer could incorporate the houses.

In related commentary, the Edge Lohi building next door is turning out to be a disappointment. My main gripe is the ground level retail spaces - they look uninviting and awkwardly fragmented. And I'm not just saying this because it's a new building; the building with Metropolis has nice patios and setbacks making for a much better pedestrian experience.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:01 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Harbinger Devlopment, of 650 17th Street fame, claimed at one point to have control of the 16th Street site and Makovsky did mention that there was an option agreement in place back in October. Hopefully this rumor has some traction and we see a proposal pop up next year.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:08 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
Nice enough design, but requires teardown of the last 2 historic structures remaining on Central. In typical Denver tradition it'll probably happen, but I happen to think they add some variety to the street and I wish the developer could incorporate the houses.
I thought only one of those structures is historical while the other is 90's era faux historical? Regardless, as long as the trees are preserved in the median I'm fine with these two structures being razed.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:23 PM
Landbarge Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
Neither is anything even approaching "historic" - the corner lot was built in 1921 https://www.denvergov.org/property/r...mary/163017641 but heavily modified, and the other is listed as built in 1998 https://www.denvergov.org/Property/r...mary/163017633

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 6:38 PM

SirLucasTheGreat... Love the photo tour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Are we really taking serious a website called SmartAsset now?
Yes, I did do a double-take, twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Harbinger Devlopment, of 650 17th Street fame, claimed at one point to have control of the 16th Street site and Makovsky did mention that there was an option agreement in place back in October. Hopefully this rumor has some traction and we see a proposal pop up next year.
Just checked and Harbinger Development no longer has this property on their site; must have been a quick check, nvm look.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojiferous View Post
Neither is anything even approaching "historic" - the corner lot was built in 1921 https://www.denvergov.org/property/r...mary/163017641 but heavily modified, and the other is listed as built in 1998 https://www.denvergov.org/Property/r...mary/163017633

It's a couple years shy of 100 years old, I'd say that qualifies as historic. What is your cutoff?

Surprising (in a good way) that the other one was built more recently..they both reference the neighborhood's past and are a welcome contrast to the now-ubiquitous contemporary boxes going up. This rendering makes the hotel appear to be a high quality replacement, but it doesn't look all that different from other new builds and the neighborhood is starting to look rather monotonous IMO.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:22 PM

Age alone doesn't qualify something as historic. That is both opinion and city ordinance. Otherwise, a 150 year old wooden shack would out-qualify any 75 year old quality-built, architecturally significant building (edited the dates to put in context with Denver history).

https://www.denvergov.org/content/de...ce_Update.html

To save you some time, here's the criteria.

Landmarks must meet at least three of these ten criteria.
1.Have direct association with a significant historic event or with the historical development of the city, state, or nation;
2.Have direct and substantial association with a recognized person or group of persons who had influence on society;
3.Embody the distinctive visible characteristics of an architectural style or type;
4.Be a significant example of the work of a recognized architect or master builder;
5.Contain elements of design, engineering, materials, craftsmanship, or artistic merit which represent a significant innovation or technical achievement;
6.Due to its prominent location or physical characteristics, represents an established and familiar feature of the neighborhood, community or contemporary city;
7.Promote understanding and appreciation of the urban environment by means of distinctive physical characteristics or rarity;
8.Represents an era of culture or heritage that allows an understanding of how the site was used by past generations;
9.Be a physical attribute of a neighborhood, community, or the city that is a source of pride or cultural understanding;
10.Associated with social movements, institutions, or patterns of growth or change that contributed significantly to the culture of the neighborhood, community, city, state, or nation.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:29 PM

Anyone know whats going on at the Conoco/Jenny's Market at 3550 N Downing St?

Gas pumps completely dug up and convenience store and attached retail space behind fence and vacated.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 8:56 PM

Colorado growth will slow to decade-old levels in 2020, CU forecast says
Dec 9, 2019 By Ed Sealover – Reporter, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
Colorado in 2020 will create the lowest number of jobs the state has put out since 2011 and will experience its slowest pace of economic growth since the Great Recession, according to the annual Colorado Business Economic Outlook from University of Colorado-Boulder Leeds School of Business. But while the forecast continues the “growing but slowing” trend of recent years, it does not predict that the state will slip into recession next year, emphasized Richard Wobbekind...
Maybe for the state but for Denver I'll guess an uptick in growth from last year.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:31 PM
mmmm... infillicious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
This is my understanding as well. No height restrictions on the north side.

I just looked it up, and in the zoning code it says that Downtown FAR is 10.0. That seems surprisingly low given that we have 65 story towers but I'm always surprised how much usable floor area is actually lost when mocking up a building for a given site - plus there are also density bonuses in there that I didn't read in detail. So for a relatively small parcel, roughly 20 stories is probably a fair guess for an FAR of 10.

If a developer takes advantage of all the density bonuses, the max FAR can go as high as 20. Also, parking does not count against the FAR.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
If a developer takes advantage of all the density bonuses, the max FAR can go as high as 20. Also, parking does not count against the FAR.
If parking doesn't count against FAR... could a developer build 8 floors of parking when they only need 5, then convert 3 floors of parking into office space when they suddenly realize it's underutilization? (and after a reasonably short amount of time) Or would the proposed 8 floors get flagged in a planning commission?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
SirLucasTheGreat... Love the photo tour.

Yes, I did do a double-take, twice.

Just checked and Harbinger Development no longer has this property on their site; must have been a quick check, nvm look.
With Harbinger taking this property off their website and the Markovsky's record, is this lot going to remain undeveloped for a while? There is no site development plan filed for this site.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 4:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
With Harbinger taking this property off their website and the Markovsky's record, is this lot going to remain undeveloped for a while? There is no site development plan filed for this site.
http://harbingerdevelopment.com/

It’s still on their website

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
http://harbingerdevelopment.com/

It’s still on their website
I see 650 17th Street. The Cottrell Building I thought was at 601 16th. Am I missing it on the site? I probably didn't phrase my last post well enough.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucasTheGreat View Post
I see 650 17th Street. The Cottrell Building I thought was at 601 16th. Am I missing it on the site? I probably didn't phrase my last post well enough.
Ah my bad. I’m pretty sure that lot is going to be an open area for events and festivals. You can see it in the presentation about the new Upper Downtown.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 5:43 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
If parking doesn't count against FAR... could a developer build 8 floors of parking when they only need 5, then convert 3 floors of parking into office space when they suddenly realize it's underutilization? (and after a reasonably short amount of time) Or would the proposed 8 floors get flagged in a planning commission?
I doubt it would be allowed.

It's a moot point anyway. Parking is often in the 9' range floor-to-floor, and offices about 13'. Nobody would build office-compatible parking. Residential or hotel might be plausible but even that tends to be a foot more. Also, residential and hotel uses like skinny buildings vs. offices.

And then there's the issue of ramps...even if the basic parking floors are flat, you'd still have to tear out the ramps and replace them with new structure.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West