HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:01 PM

Farhi's GM Trim site development was approved by city council yesterday. The first apartment building should start in the late winter, and the residential lot servicing should start in the spring, as per the Windsor Star.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Nothing is happening on site. The case is exactly the same for The Hive on Pelissier, supposedly they got their demo permits in March and "work has started" but nothing has happened yet, as of yesterday when I walked by the site.

My guess it's a lot of newer companies that don't have experience constructing taller buildings, hence why it's taking so long. Right now it's only Piroli and Valente who have been able to get anything off the ground at all.

I think the next one that will get off the ground will be the Amico/Hotel Dieu development on Crawford and University.
The Hive so far doesn't appear to be cancelled. Their Facebook page is very active and posts a few times a week. Apparently they are taking reservations and are stating occupancy should happen starting 2020. With that said, I'll believe it when I see it. Each time I've been by there, I see very little evidence of ongoing work. But supposedly it's all still a go.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 1:33 AM
Rockin' Buffet Tables

In Gordie Howe bridge news, it sounds like it's still awhile away before we get to see the really visible progress get going, but they are starting to put the footings in place for now

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...aking-progress

Their site also has this interesting update: "Material will start to come to site in 1 to 2 weeks, we will be expecting around 200 trucks per day."

https://www.gordiehoweinternationalb...ivities-canada

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:21 PM

Very excited to see this great old highrise downtown getting sold and renovated into residential units with commercial lower!

I was hoping that with all of the renovations happening on those Chatham St. buildings downtown, that it would spill over to those two historic blocks of University Ave. that are begging for some kind of revival.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-917e1223376b/

Last edited by north 42; May 7, 2020 at 2:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 11:45 PM

I also posted this in the Detroit developments thread, but it should be mentioned here:

Officials: Gordie Howe bridge on track to open in 2024 despite construction delays from COVID-19

Quote:
The Gordie Howe International Bridge project is on target to open by the end of 2024 despite the COVID-19 crisis that slowed construction for a time, officials said Thursday.

The Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority held an online community meeting via Facebook Live to give the public an update on the project.

"Work has been able to continue throughout this entire time period at the site," said Heather Grondin, the vice president of communications and stakeholder relations for the Windsor-Detroit Bridge Authority.

Grondin, who appeared with other officials working on the project, said in terms of the "overall schedule we're not behind," but there has been a need to shift some aspects of the schedule to accommodate mitigation measures in place for COVID-19.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 4:14 PM

This looks like it could be an interesting addition to the outer DT area, hopefully it actually happens.

https://windsorite.ca/2020/07/plans-...nal-retailers/

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 11:25 AM

Another one of DT Windsor’s Art Deco office high-rises is to undergo renovations into residential, this time the 14 storey Canada Building.

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-155494c72460/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 8:17 PM

London's Westdell Development Corporation appears to have acquired a bunch of properties along Huron Church, namely University Plaza, Ambassador Plaza, and the two large vacant plots of land nearby. There are definitely some plans in the works, as there is a sign up for a new commercial development in the vacant lot next to Studio 4, and there is currently soil testing happening in the parking lot of University Plaza.

Worth noting that Westdell also appears to be entering the residential development market. They have a couple of highrises planned for some old retail properties in London. However, I doubt that will happen to these new Windsor acquisitions for a very long time.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 11:07 PM

New tower planned for Wyandotte, located in the parking lot adjacent to the Shoppers Drug Mart at the corner of Ouellette & Wyandotte.

See the link for the complete story.

https://windsorite.ca/2020/09/new-co...ntown-windsor/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:39 AM

Five 16-story residential highrises proposed for the southeast corner of Riverside and Crawford.

It's taken a while but with the dramatic rise in rents over the last two years it has now become profitable for developers to come calling...

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-67155de42e74/

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:56 AM

Great news for downtown Windsor!

I'm especially happy that 2 will be basically right on Ouellette. It is the city's main drag and anything that brings people to it is great.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 1:51 PM

Also another possible tower to go up on the corner of Wyandotte and Victoria. It’s about damn time we started to get some serious condo and apartment tower proposals downtown.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 2:50 PM

Wow, that is a lot of new development. I'm so glad to see this happening, it's been a long time coming. I'm working on my Windsor 3D model at the moment and getting it closer to being finished, so I can add these new towers in.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 12:12 AM

Glad to see some new buildings being proposed for downtown,but the design leaves a lot to be desired.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:01 AM

Are there renderings available for the other 5 towers?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:10 PM

Just found this forum! I'm also really happy to see some new development in the downtown area. Hopefully this trend continues!

I had also heard about the Wyandotte and Victoria tower, but haven't been able to find anything concrete except a year-old article in the Windsor Star that had also mentioned it.

Somewhat unrelated, but has anyone heard anything about The Hive? I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but was wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything new? Last post on their Facebook page looks to be from mid-August

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 3:10 PM

There doesn't appear to be much happening with The Hive at the moment. I saw them demolishing the old building back in fall-winter of last year and it looks like they took a couple of floors off, but I was back downtown a month ago, I swung by Pelissier and saw that no progress had been made.

So far for new downtown tower developments we've got 9 potential new buildings (including 2 stagnant proposals):
- The Hive (stagnant)
- Park and Victoria Tower (stagnant)
- Wyandotte and Victoria Tower
- CBC 5-Tower Development
- Inspiration Tower

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 4:58 PM

There was a big crane yesterday at the Hive unloading steel beams, so there is some work being done there.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmateurPlanner View Post
Just found this forum! I'm also really happy to see some new development in the downtown area. Hopefully this trend continues!

I had also heard about the Wyandotte and Victoria tower, but haven't been able to find anything concrete except a year-old article in the Windsor Star that had also mentioned it.

Somewhat unrelated, but has anyone heard anything about The Hive? I saw it mentioned earlier in this thread, but was wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything new? Last post on their Facebook page looks to be from mid-August
Welcome to the forum!

I think the new tower proposal at Victoria and Wyandotte is pretty new, this article was the first I’ve heard of it. The site has just been fenced in recently with construction fencing.

There was a proposal for Victoria and Park St. about a year ago, but it seems to be going nowhere.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
There doesn't appear to be much happening with The Hive at the moment. I saw them demolishing the old building back in fall-winter of last year and it looks like they took a couple of floors off, but I was back downtown a month ago, I swung by Pelissier and saw that no progress had been made.

So far for new downtown tower developments we've got 9 potential new buildings (including 2 stagnant proposals):
- The Hive (stagnant)
- Park and Victoria Tower (stagnant)
- Wyandotte and Victoria Tower
- CBC 5-Tower Development
- Inspiration Tower

I'm not sure if it counts, but the Security Building on the corner of University Ave and Pelissier was also bought by a local developer recently. Same situation with the Canada Building on Ouellette between Park and Wyandotte (purchased by a local developer). Haven't been by those buildings recently, so not sure if there's been any movement.

Security building article: https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/we-re-in-...ence-1.4929912

Canada Building article: https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...velopment-plan

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario