HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 12:42 AM
build awesome buildings

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Any heavy equipment on site? Or are they starting work for fall festivities like beer garden, etc?
a crane and some excavators are on site and things seem pretty torn up. this seems like legit prep work based on the amount of debris being moved and not some temporary thing. the work is being done at the north end of the site without much happening at the southern end, though it does appear they’re moving in that direction. there could basically be a completely new neighborhood on the water soon enough if the other potential projects get moving in that vicinity, too.

the amount of development near there on front street between old city and no libs/fishtown is also encouraging. it seems like the fabric of some of these places are finally being tied back together, which is extremely exciting. same thing is happening (to a lesser extent) as you creep west between callowhill and spring garden - walking around that entire area feels substantially different than even 3 or 4 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
a crane and some excavators are on site and things seem pretty torn up. this seems like legit prep work based on the amount of debris being moved and not some temporary thing. the work is being done at the north end of the site without much happening at the southern end, though it does appear they’re moving in that direction. there could basically be a completely new neighborhood on the water soon enough if the other potential projects get moving in that vicinity, too.

the amount of development near there on front street between old city and no libs/fishtown is also encouraging. it seems like the fabric of some of these places are finally being tied back together, which is extremely exciting. same thing is happening (to a lesser extent) as you creep west between callowhill and spring garden - walking around that entire area feels substantially different than even 3 or 4 years ago.
Have you walked up Ridge from Broad to Girard lately? Same exact situation.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
a crane and some excavators are on site and things seem pretty torn up. this seems like legit prep work based on the amount of debris being moved and not some temporary thing. the work is being done at the north end of the site without much happening at the southern end, though it does appear they’re moving in that direction.
Has there been a specific plan released for this site?
I'm assuming it's not the new Phillies Stadium mentioned in this April Fool's article http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...pier-nice-ring

Old Posted Sep 29, 2019, 8:51 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:

I'm wondering if it is the start of the I-95 Cap Park (aka Penn's Landing Park). I think they got most of the funding since it was last reported in the Inky.

Also, agree on the explosion of residential developments between old city and no/libs and fishtown. I have seen old city grow by leaps and bounds over the last 5-7 years first hand. Nolibs/fishtown I think started even before Old City exploded. All very exciting times for Philly. The eventual residential growth on the deleware riverfront should help bring more excitment to the area.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Sep 30, 2019 at 12:00 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 7:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I'm wondering if it is the start of the I-95 Cap Park (aka Penn's Landing Park). I think they got most of the funding since it was last reported in the Inky.

Also, agree on the explosion of residential developments between old city and no/libs and fishtown. I have seen old city grow by leaps and bounds over the last 5-7 years first hand. Nolibs/fishtown I think started even before Old City exploded. All very exciting times for Philly. The eventual residential growth on the deleware riverfront should help bring more excitment to the area.
Unfortunately,, I don't think work on Penn's Landing Park is supposed to begin until 2021. And complete in 2024. It's in engineering and design phase until then.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Unfortunately,, I don't think work on Penn's Landing Park is supposed to begin until 2021. And complete in 2024. It's in engineering and design phase until then.
I believe El Duderino was talking about Festival Pier, not Penn's Landing. Festival Pier is supposed to be developed by Haverford Properties and I've heard that it may be starting soon, and the pickup in sitework seems to support that.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 3:05 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
I believe El Duderino was talking about Festival Pier, not Penn's Landing. Festival Pier is supposed to be developed by Haverford Properties and I've heard that it may be starting soon, and the pickup in sitework seems to support that.
Ah...that's it...https://www.theolinstudio.com/festival-pier

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardeza View Post
"Blake Development Co. is exploring building a mixed-use project on the site where the Trolley Car Diner operated for the last 20 years.

The developer is proposing to build a five-story building that would have 20,222 square feet of retail space and 60 residential units at 7619 Germantown Ave. in the Mount Airy neighborhood of Philadelphia. The property is zoned CMX-2 and would allow for a project of this scope. Efforts to reach Sam Blake of Blake Development were unsuccessful.

In late August, Ken Weinstein announced that he was closing the Trolley Car Diner, which had become an institution over the last two decades. It opened in 2000 as a family-friendly restaurant in what was a blighted neighborhood of Philadelphia. It quickly gained a following and filled a void in bringing a dining option to a neighborhood that had a dearth of them.

Weinstein said the diner was no longer financially sustainable and as a result of an increase in competition from more dining options in the neighborhood. The prospect of selling the diner site to a developer had nothing to do with closing the eatery, he said.

"We closed the Trolley Car because we were losing a good deal of money," he said. “We did know this was a marketable property. While we are sad about the Trolley Car Diner, it’s exciting. It’s a sign of success and not a bad thing."

The diner is scheduled to cease operations Oct. 15.

Weinstein, through his PhillyOfficeRetail and JumpStart Germantown, has been at the forefront of revitalization efforts along Germantown Avenue in Mount Airy, Germantown and Wayne Junction. He has purchased several properties over the years and redeveloped them, laying the groundwork for someone like Blake to come along and see the opportunity the neighborhood offers.

Weinstein said he and Blake have come to terms on the property but nothing has been finalized. "

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:03 PM
Philly Pholly

Festival Pier

I thought I'd go ahead and post these. I hadn't seen them before. I was hoping for more density. A lot of green space and public areas

Festival Pier

Festival Pier 3

Festival Pier 4

Festival Pier 2

https://www.theolinstudio.com/festival-pier

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:18 PM

I think thats a MASSIVE upgrade.

Not every lot can be a skyscraper.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post

i agree. i hope at least one of the buildings is a condominium.

it would nice to have more ownership opportunities in the area.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:

If the open space is even half that nice it will be a huge gamechanger for the Delaware waterfront at large. The forthcoming bike/ped trail will be a nice feature, but having something of this size (appears to be more akin in size to a Penn Treaty Park than a Race Street Pier) gives the river another focal point for those exploring north to south. The ability to enjoy parks as dissimilar as Penn Treaty, Festival Pier, Race Street, Penn's Landing cap park/Spruce Street Harbor, and the existing spaces to the south makes for a pretty darn interesting and impressive waterfront, if you ask me.

As for the density, at this scale it is at the very least as dense as any typical rowhouse neighborhood. A question is whether this plus whatever the Dursts have cooked up creates enough density and sufficient retail footprints to start attracting necessary businesses like a pharmacy, small supermarket, etc.

Exciting to see the waterfront on the verge of becoming a more legitimate part of the city's fabric.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 8:59 PM

Is that a pool I see? Awesome!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 9:54 PM
Philly Pholly

I really hope this has retail along Columbus. This is so massive, homogenized and suburban. Outside of the waterfront, it should be across from a mall somewhere. It looks so cheap, I find it hard to believe they will follow through with all the landscaping. I'm disappointed. I know it's great to see something happening here, but this is so basic and unattractive. Uninspired. All this I would forgive if they just address Columbus Boulevard with retail and pedestrian amenities.

Last edited by SEFTA; Sep 30, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 10:28 PM

This is great. Not super concerned about lower height at this point, that could potentially be added in the future. If we get get more people living on the river, it’ll start to change and gradually become more urban.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:20 AM

^^^^^^^^
Assuming this isn't going to be built all at one shot, does anyone know how many phases are presently scheduled? It looks like it has three main components, if so if this is very successful maybe one of them gets redesigned upward. On that big of a lot it would be nice to have one of the buildings with some good height. What's being proposed for parking?

Looking at this plan again reminds of the need to somehow, sooner then later, get mass transit running along the river. I've got no idea if this is possible, and even if it was the price tag would be BIG----extend the Ridge Ave spur of the Broad St. subway further south, (Washington Ave?) come up out of the ground, cross/go under the expressway and run up Delaware Ave to around Girard Ave. This line would also serve society hill and at least Queen Village. The idea of being able to quickly get into CC before one might need to transfer I think would be key for whatever service might end up being built to be well used.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^^^
Assuming this isn't going to be built all at one shot, does anyone know how many phases are presently scheduled? It looks like it has three main components, if so if this is very successful maybe one of them gets redesigned upward. On that big of a lot it would be nice to have one of the buildings with some good height. What's being proposed for parking?

Looking at this plan again reminds of the need to somehow, sooner then later, get mass transit running along the river. I've got no idea if this is possible, and even if it was the price tag would be BIG----extend the Ridge Ave spur of the Broad St. subway further south, (Washington Ave?) come up out of the ground, cross/go under the expressway and run up Delaware Ave to around Girard Ave. This line would also serve society hill and at least Queen Village. The idea of being able to quickly get into CC before one might need to transfer I think would be key for whatever service might end up being built to be well used.
While I agree with the sentiment, that would be the MOST roundabout route you could take.

How about a spur of the 15? Or a separate trolley if you don't feel like changing gauges.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
^^^^^^^^

Longer term, maybe. Right now this area is very isolated. Foot traffic is very light and most the destinations are drive and park. For this area to really pop, I think we need to see developments connecting Old City and NoLibs along Front thru 5th. That seems to be the missing link to why walkable communities on the Delaware haven’t totally popped yet.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:

There are modest height limits in place along the river anyway- you wont see any real skyscrapers anytime soon

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development