HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:42 PM

September 11 memorials

Have September 11 memorials ever been documented or recorded? We are a day away from the 18th anniversary of the terror attacks. It seems like almost every city and town, at least in the US, has a memorial to the attacks. What do your local September 11 memorials look like? Do they incorporate actual parts of the World Trade Center or Pentagon?

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:58 PM

The one in Phoenix-metro is in Tempe. It's relatively simple--~3000 flags representing the victims of the attacks, with a small biography of the victim affixed to the flag, set up in Tempe Beach Park. There is a ceremony with a speaker.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-so...mpe-beach-park

https://tempehealingfield.org/

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/new...d98710f39.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Eagle Rock Reservation in NJ has a 9/11 memorial. Its located in West Orange.

The memorial has the name of the Essex County residents who perished on that terrible day.

When the 9/11 Tribute In Lights are on, as they are now, its a very surreal site to see, especially at night.

This was taken by me. If you look closely, you'll see the memorial along the edges prior to the cliff, with the names inscribed.

20181013_155653 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 10:38 PM

There's recovered debris from the towers in most towns of the metro area, usually in a park or civic center. To my knowledge, ceremonies are held every year. A lot of educational institutions also do memorials.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:53 AM

The link takes you to the 911 memorial in Gander Newfoundland. Gander is where most of the international flights bound for the USA were forced to land on 911.

https://brea-homes-for-sale.com/911-...dland-labrador

The following link takes you to a picture of the 911 memorial in Beechwood Cemetery, Ottawa Canada, dedicated to the 24 Canadians who lost their lives in the World Trade Centre on 911.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/canadian-f...lects-1.638695

The following link takes you to a picture of a 911 monument in Appleton Newfoundland

https://www.thecentralvoice.ca/news/...-of-911-25964/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
When the 9/11 Tribute In Lights are on, as they are now, its a very surreal site to see, especially at night.
They've been on for at least a week and for whatever reason I didn't notice until tonight on my way home. Seeing them always puts me in a mood.

On another note, this is the first time I've noticed just how many birds are attracted to the lights. It seems like a lot this year. I wonder if this is above normal? They shut the lights off when there are too many birds, so that might be why I missed them on the other days.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:03 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Could be the light pollution also drowning out some of the luminosity of the lights, like if your in Queens or parts of Brooklyn. Varies depending on the weather too at night, and how bright they are. Angle as well.

Although the bummer this year is that the "Oculus" skylight will remain closed tomorrow due to a leaking problem. Bummer, given that the structure costs a fortune.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Could be the light pollution also drowning out some of the luminosity of the lights, like if your in Queens or parts of Brooklyn. Varies depending on the weather too at night, and how bright they are. Angle as well.
I was in west SoHo earlier this evening, which is when I noticed the lights and all of the birds that they are attracting. I live fairly close to lower Manhattan so I would see them under most conditions. I was either not paying attention, or they were not on while I was outside after dark.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

9/11 Memorial by ( dropiso ) Photography, on Flickr

For those that haven't seen this in person. When the skylight opens.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:47 AM
Dryer lint inspector

We don't have one ironically. Only a bust of the Houston woman who died in the WTC.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2019, 4:22 AM

Delaware's September 11 Memorial is located in Commemoration Park, next to the Air Mobility Command Museum, at Dover Air Force Base. The memorial features steel beams from the World Trade Center, a concrete block from the Pentagon, and a stone from the crash site near Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Delaware lost one resident in the attacks, at the Pentagon.

Having our state memorial at Dover Air Force Base is appropriate, since fallen soldiers killed in the War on Terror first arrived/arrive on American soil here at the base, usually from Ramstein Air Force Base in Germany.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions