HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 11:05 PM

Demolition permits were issued to wreck multiple buildings from 3170 S Archer to 3236 S Archer, mostly last week but one of them actually almost a year ago. I've talked about this before, but the full scope will be multiple new buildings with 168 total condo units (1, 2, and 3 bedrooms). I believe this will have multiple retail spaces. The whole thing is from Chicago based Chinese developers Skyriver, so potentially expect some new Chinese restaurants and businesses popping up here. The north end of it is near the Ashland Orange Line stop. Southern end of this down to Wood Street

This will replace it:

Currently it's very industrial
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-87.6681059

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
"War on reality" is right. The St Adalberts site is an ideal place to add housing right next to the Pink Line, maybe even a majority or entirely affordable development... the convent and rectory are currently abandoned and the parking lot isn't doing anything for anyone.

There's plenty of things that can happen on this site for the benefit of the community, Sigcho should be working proactively to figure out the next steps for the site instead of this reactionary crap. Why not work with the Archdiocese, or without them, to hold community charrettes?

Also, Related has obligations to build off-site affordable housing as part of The 78, they will need places to put all that housing... St Adalberts is about as a good a site as you can imagine, right next to transit and integrated into a thriving community with plenty of amenities nearby.
The site is one block from a pink line station and two blocks from a Costco - sign me the f*ck up!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:27 AM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR Devlin View Post
Are you serious?? Of all the buildings built is Streeterville in the past 40 years, the ugliest is 220 East Illinois - Optima Signature Apts. Somebody on this board described it as being garish and I completely agree.

The best are OBP and NBC Tower.

Yikes.

Why do I get the feeling this is going to be one awfully long sweltering summer week full of white hot garbage takes....?

This new Treasure Island proposal obviously on point.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
"War on reality" is right. The St Adalberts site is an ideal place to add housing right next to the Pink Line, maybe even a majority or entirely affordable development... the convent and rectory are currently abandoned and the parking lot isn't doing anything for anyone.

There's plenty of things that can happen on this site for the benefit of the community, Sigcho should be working proactively to figure out the next steps for the site instead of this reactionary crap. Why not work with the Archdiocese, or without them, to hold community charrettes?

Also, Related has obligations to build off-site affordable housing as part of The 78, they will need places to put all that housing... St Adalberts is about as a good a site as you can imagine, right next to transit and integrated into a thriving community with plenty of amenities nearby.
The good news is that the rectory and convent could probably be converted to housing under the existing RT-4 zoning given how much open space exists around each building. Basically what will happen is that Sigcho will get his community less units with zero affordable housing and lots more parking and unfortunately the church will likely sit vacant and become like St Boniface...

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Demolition permits were issued to wreck multiple buildings from 3170 S Archer to 3236 S Archer, mostly last week but one of them actually almost a year ago. I've talked about this before, but the full scope will be multiple new buildings with 168 total condo units (1, 2, and 3 bedrooms). I believe this will have multiple retail spaces. The whole thing is from Chicago based Chinese developers Skyriver, so potentially expect some new Chinese restaurants and businesses popping up here. The north end of it is near the Ashland Orange Line stop. Southern end of this down to Wood Street

This will replace it:

Currently it's very industrial
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...!4d-87.6681059
Also, the good news is that according to this page at least and the developer of the future condo building across the street, the big development here is nearly sold out. I'm not sure if that just means one of the buildings or what but still interesting:

https://mckinleypark.news/news/356-d...-archer-avenue

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:33 PM

Good news: that proposed building to replace a gas station (and strip mall?) on Western next to the 606 and just a few blocks south of the Western Blue Line stop scored a new construction permit yesterday. Actually the permit is for the entire building. 6 stories, 109 units, 42 parking spaces, and ground floor commercial/retail.

This is the 2nd building in the last week or so that's been issued a permit for that block of sizable projects. Considering what both are replacing (one mostly a used car lot and the other a gas station and maybe strip mall), that part of Western is about to get a bit better from a ground floor perspective.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 12:59 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
The good news is that the rectory and convent could probably be converted to housing under the existing RT-4 zoning given how much open space exists around each building. Basically what will happen is that Sigcho will get his community less units with zero affordable housing and lots more parking and unfortunately the church will likely sit vacant and become like St Boniface...
Exactly. He’s going to change zoning to something more restrictive, I’m sure, and thus make it impossible to do anything with this church as it deteriorates

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Also, the good news is that according to this page at least and the developer of the future condo building across the street, the big development here is nearly sold out. I'm not sure if that just means one of the buildings or what but still interesting:

https://mckinleypark.news/news/356-d...-archer-avenue
Likely a huge plus activating that area of Archer by removing the existing overgrown Mad Max looking wasteland that currently exists there. My only question would be what kind of construction are we looking at... and what will the layout be of the structures. Hopefully the developer sticks with condos because a quick nascent look at the rendering of all those buildings clumped together like that gives off a bit of a "project" vibe. The horror!

Likely more a product of the rendering and not the reality of what will go up there. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 1:35 PM

The former Michael Reese site gets a boost...

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ll-180-million

Quote:
Golub and Farpoint Development have agreed to pay $180 million, or about $107,000 per unit, for Prairie Shores, buying it from Draper & Kramer, the Chicago firm that built the five-tower complex, according to real estate data provider Real Capital Analytics. It would be the largest Chicago multifamily property to change hands since the 2007 sale of Presidential Towers, a 2,346-unit project in the West Loop.

Farpoint’s interest in Prairie Shores likely stems from its involvement in Burnham Lakefront, a massive mixed-use development planned on the site of the former Michael Reese Hospital next door. Chicago-based Farpoint is part of a joint venture including Draper & Kramer and non-profit Chicago Neighborhood Initiatives that wants to build as much as 12 million square feet, including housing, office and retail space, on roughly 100 acres on the Reese site and neighboring parcels. Farpoint could potentially integrate Prairie Shores into those plans.

In another interesting twist, Prairie Shores sits within an opportunity zone, part of a federal program created in the 2017 tax-cut bill to attract investment to poorer neighborhoods. Under the program, investors can limit capital-gains taxes if they invest in opportunity zones. Farpoint, launched three years ago by former Sterling Bay partner Scott Goodman, recently co-founded a venture, Decennial Group, to raise $1 billion for opportunity zone investments.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post
Likely a huge plus activating that area of Archer by removing the existing overgrown Mad Max looking wasteland that currently exists there. My only question would be what kind of construction are we looking at... and what will the layout be of the structures. Hopefully the developer sticks with condos because a quick nascent look at the rendering of all those buildings clumped together like that gives off a bit of a "project" vibe. The horror!

Likely more a product of the rendering and not the reality of what will go up there. Fingers crossed.
I mean it's definitely a project. I'm sure it'll be better than the rendering but don't expect it to be much more urban than it looks. Positive news is that's 168 condos and all full means a few hundred more people living there than today. They will have ground floor business space so that's good.

The one thing I'd hope for based on the renderings is good landscaping. My wife's parents place in the outskirts of Shanghai doesn't have any restaurants unless you walk 10 minutes, and it's suburban... but it's landscaped really well with zen gardens and stuff around. It's still suburban but not in a depressing way.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 5:43 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio View Post

This is aimed at Chinese buyers, who don't have a negative reaction to tower-in-a-park site plans. Easy access to green space is viewed as a positive.

On a small scale, it doesn't seem to harm the walkability. Looks like there will be convenience retail included with this development, so that combined with the density seems pretty urban regardless of how the site is laid out.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Good news: that proposed building to replace a gas station (and strip mall?) on Western next to the 606 and just a few blocks south of the Western Blue Line stop scored a new construction permit yesterday. Actually the permit is for the entire building. 6 stories, 109 units, 42 parking spaces, and ground floor commercial/retail.

This is the 2nd building in the last week or so that's been issued a permit for that block of sizable projects. Considering what both are replacing (one mostly a used car lot and the other a gas station and maybe strip mall), that part of Western is about to get a bit better from a ground floor perspective.
In case people forgot what this project is that is about to start construction:

What it's replacing: https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9135...7i16384!8i8192

Source: http://lgdevelopmentgroup.com/1744-north-western/

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:42 AM
The City

Definitely an upgrade

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:59 AM

I heard the GEMS 2 project is shut down due to non payment to the contractor. Anyone else hearing the same thing? Too bad, I thought the school was doing well and had good money coming in...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 12:44 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
I heard the GEMS 2 project is shut down due to non payment to the contractor. Anyone else hearing the same thing? Too bad, I thought the school was doing well and had good money coming in...
Seems odd that the school would run out of money this late in the game

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
RS 1 doesn't exist outside of places liek Saunganash or the mansion district in Old Irving Park. What a piece of shit Maldanado is.

Oh well, I'm sure stopping people from building immediately next to the 606 won't just push the developers one block over... What a bunch of idiots... The sooner zoning is pried from the hands of aldercreatures the better...

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockerzzz View Post
loved this gem:

Quote:
But Maldonado insisted he was not being hypocritical in holding Shetty and others to one standard after Maldonado himself sold nearby property along the 606 trail for a reported $300,000 profit in 2015.

Maldonado said the property on the 1700 blocks of N. Monticello and N. Central Park, owned with his wife, in fact earned only a $150,000 profit. The property was purchased in pieces between "the 1990s" and 2004 for $250,000, and eventually was sold for $500,000 to an upscale townhouse developer. "Nobody knew when we bought the property how (popular) the area would become," he said.

However, Maldonado in the interview confirmed that, just months before the sale, the property was rezoned from manufacturing to residential, driving up his value. "I had absolutely nothing to do with the zoning change" and abstained on all votes, he told me. "The people who bought the property" pushed the zoning change.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
This is true.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:20 PM

Losing some historic housing in Lincoln Park

Going to become a 3 story SFH: https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...!4d-87.6489564

At least this is maintingin SOME density as a 4 story, 3 unit bulding (I believe the permit includes both of these buildings): https://www.google.com/maps/place/64...!4d-87.6457993

Last edited by Handro; Jul 18, 2019 at 3:48 PM.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Losing some historic housing in Lincoln Park

Going to become a 3 story SFH: https://www.google.com/maps/place/22...!4d-87.6489564

At least this is maintingin SOME density as a 3 story, 4 unit bulding (I believe the permit includes both of these buildings): https://www.google.com/maps/place/64...!4d-87.6457993

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development