HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
8th/Fig: 530 feet

Brookfield: 695 feet*

* For reference, 777 Figueroa is 725 feet.
I'm glad 777 isn't being overshadowed. It's one of my favorite Pelli designs.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Wow!!!! With all that’s happening, we could use a refreshed front page. So much to update
most definitely!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2019, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
most definitely!
I'm not on here enough anymore to manage it. If someone can start a new thread, feel free.

I haven't been keeping up much with DTLA at all but it's great to see these projects start up. Freaking LA Grand is under construction, LA GRAND! That's been a pipe dream for decades!

I'm glad 8th & Fig got a slight tweak to it's design. The light up Parapet is a nice touch. Hopefully we see cranes this year.

Onni also has a few projects that are approved right? The 60 story Olympic & Hill tower and LA Times. It would be amazing to see those two start up soon.

What else are we possibly seeing start up this year? I'm seeing a lot of talk about Brookfield and Fig+Pico(my favorite project) seeing as both their lots are seeing demolition of existing structures.

Other than that those projects seems to be the only realistic projects that could break ground this year. Am I missing anything?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2019, 4:36 AM

Which tower is the one that got inspired by LA’s suburban culture?? The tall one in South Park with tree-like podium base?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Updated rendering of the Johnson Fain-designed project at 8th/Figueroa:

highest resolution
Good looking tower but uggh that podium.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 10:56 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
Which tower is the one that got inspired by LA’s suburban culture?? The tall one in South Park with tree-like podium base?
I believe the white ODA Tower, with the cut outs around the middle of the structure.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 11:06 AM

Im excited for the new tower. Also that Kin Dza restaurant looks amazing. I cant wait to try their food. I wonder if it Asian or maybe African by the name.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 6:27 PM

What is all the hate for podiums?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2019, 7:50 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
What is all the hate for podiums?
1) They (often) house cars.
2) They’re usually not pretty to look at.
3) They’re a waste of space.

The city should require that all skyscrapers match the 150’ cornice line of the Historic Core vernacular before becoming tower. See Perla on Broadway as an example.

Or NYC. See how all the buildings meet more or less the same height threshold before “doing their own thing”?

Dezeen

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:03 AM

The city really, really needs to just put in some simple design guidelines in relation to podiums. Parking entrances can only face minor streets or alleyways whenever available, and no garage exposure to a street. And by that I mean units or commercial must cover all exposure of a garage (that said I would also reduce parking minimums a lot).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 5:59 AM

Any skyscrapers you see that will most likely get built in the next cycle or are the least to get built?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:02 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM19 View Post
The city really, really needs to just put in some simple design guidelines in relation to podiums. Parking entrances can only face minor streets or alleyways whenever available, and no garage exposure to a street. And by that I mean units or commercial must cover all exposure of a garage (that said I would also reduce parking minimums a lot).
They have, vaguely, hence why this newest podium is clad in glass

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
They have, vaguely, hence why this newest podium is clad in glass
Agreed...the glass doesn’t look bad in my opinion.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:36 PM

Yes, but I think it should be masked with actual uses, not just glass. If you want to have a parking podium extend half of the whole block, you have to put units masking them for the same extent.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 8:47 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Or they could do what I’ve always advocated, which is to go the route of 888 Hope by building separate but attached parking. That would satisfy current parking requirements/demand and allow the possibility of replacing it with more housing in the future. Meanwhile, the actual building itself is car-free... no parking above or below-grade.

Problem solved.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 9:49 AM

I get some advocation for parking podiums. They keep the lowest residential floors from street noise of cars/people/garbage trucks/smells. Keeps the amenties like a pool/outdoor space at a higher elevation to get sunlight and air/breeze that a ground level might get less of. I wish the ground retail had two levels. or use the 2nd level as maybe small office space for a small business like a dentist or an notary. whatever is small.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Or they could do what I’ve always advocated, which is to go the route of 888 Hope by building separate but attached parking. That would satisfy current parking requirements/demand and allow the possibility of replacing it with more housing in the future. Meanwhile, the actual building itself is car-free... no parking above or below-grade.

Problem solved.
While this may be a bit more ugly in the short term, it could be a good thing long term. If they do bottom floor retail and cover it nicely (which they failed to do at 888 Hope) it could look OK. Also- as for the new Brookfield Tower at Fig @ 7th, while it's great to have another tower, I hate that it is going to pretty much block the view of 777 removing it from the skyline when viewed from the west. Yes, you will only be able to see a slight bit of the top poking out. I find this to be a bit disheartening.... One of my favorite, if not my favorite tower in DTLA.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2019, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunsberger View Post
Also- as for the new Brookfield Tower at Fig @ 7th, while it's great to have another tower, I hate that it is going to pretty much block the view of 777 removing it from the skyline when viewed from the west. Yes, you will only be able to see a slight bit of the top poking out. I find this to be a bit disheartening.... One of my favorite, if not my favorite tower in DTLA.
I agree with this sentiment. The Pelli tower is class personified, and it's going to be blocked by a banal new box. Hard to argue against development for the sake of skyline aesthetics, though.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
I agree with this sentiment. The Pelli tower is class personified, and it's going to be blocked by a banal new box. Hard to argue against development for the sake of skyline aesthetics, though.
Yea it would be nice if Brookfield went to Pelli to design this tower in relation to 777.

On another note. How can we support as a community to get the front page updated? It’s in serious need of a refresh.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2019, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Yea it would be nice if Brookfield went to Pelli to design this tower in relation to 777.

On another note. How can we support as a community to get the front page updated? It’s in serious need of a refresh.
The "Brookfield" tower is the proposed 60 story (695') residential tower? I rather like the design. I don't think it will detract from the Pelli. It will liven up the area with all the people living there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations