HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
it's an all day ticket - I'll be stopping by before and after work. The last time I was up in the Hancock I had to listen to a 60 minute sales pitch (SSL Decryption boards).
Good to know!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
^ I'm intrigued, but also lazy in the morning... what are the hours?
Elevators start running at 4:30am - sunset is at 5:16am.The observatory normally opens at 8:00am on Friday

But as harry said, you can pop in and out throughout the day. Most people come for sunrise and sunset.

Looking forward to seeing you there, Harry!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:10 AM
Urbane observer

Chicago Has Fewer Burdens To New Construction Than Other U.S. Metros

says the National Apartment Association

story in Bisnow

link to study

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post

You get sunrise access, coffee & donuts, rides on TILT, and up-and-dow access all-day so you can come back for sunset.
This sounds very interesting! So even if I won't be able to make the sunrise, I can still stop by in the middle of the afternoon and evening?

I'll definitely be checking my calendar to see if I can make it downtown!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing738 View Post
This sounds very interesting! So even if I won't be able to make the sunrise, I can still stop by in the middle of the afternoon and evening?

I'll definitely be checking my calendar to see if I can make it downtown!
Correct! You don't need to come to the sunrise portion in order to get access later in the day. That said, there won't be coffee & donuts all day, and I don't believe the free TILT rides will continue once normal operating hours begin.

But the cost of this ticket is only a couple bucks more than the standard Chicago resident admission price so even if you don't make it to sunrise, it's still a good deal...especially if you visit twice in one day

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Chicago Has Fewer Burdens To New Construction Than Other U.S. Metros

says the National Apartment Association

story in Bisnow

link to study
Thank you for linking yet another website I can visit daily with anticipation of interesting Chicago news lol

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Elevators start running at 4:30am - sunset is at 5:16am.The observatory normally opens at 8:00am on Friday

But as harry said, you can pop in and out throughout the day. Most people come for sunrise and sunset.

Looking forward to seeing you there, Harry!
As they say - if the sun rises in the West, don't pay the rent.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:41 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...rkets-west-end

Three new buildings proposed at the western edge of Fulton district, including a 21-story at the corner of Randolph and Ogden.

This is great news. The area around Union Park has a lot of potential to be a cool res area, especially if (when) they rehab the Ashland green line stop. I wonder when the lot on the northwestern corner of Madison and Ashland is going to go? Can’t stay a gravel wasteland for long with all this development happening nearby, right?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 6:03 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...rkets-west-end

Three new buildings proposed at the western edge of Fulton district, including a 21-story at the corner of Randolph and Ogden.

This is great news. The area around Union Park has a lot of potential to be a cool res area, especially if (when) they rehab the Ashland green line stop. I wonder when the lot on the northwestern corner of Madison and Ashland is going to go? Can’t stay a gravel wasteland for long with all this development happening nearby, right?
Absolutely. Right now the Ashland station is more than slightly dilapidated, but it wouldn't take too much to modernize it. At that point, the development directly along Ogden Ave. would have nothing stopping it, opening up areas to the west and toward the U.C...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Absolutely. Right now the Ashland station is more than slightly dilapidated, but it wouldn't take too much to modernize it. At that point, the development directly along Ogden Ave. would have nothing stopping it, opening up areas to the west and toward the U.C...

Aaron (Glowrock)
Do you really think the station is an impediment to development? I use the Ashland Green line station more than any other. It's not modern, but it has some shabby charm. And the trains will arrive no matter what kind of platform I'm standing on.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Do you really think the station is an impediment to development? I use the Ashland Green line station more than any other. It's not modern, but it has some shabby charm. And the trains will arrive no matter what kind of platform I'm standing on.
Ashland station ( please don't put up glass on the bridge )

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago in the morning by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Good Morning Chicago by Harry Carmichael, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 7:58 PM

^^ Ashland station is awesome! They could maintain it better (goes for all CTA stations; they seem to take the approach of $50 million rehab... do nothing for 30 years+... $75 million rehab... etc), but they intentionally saved the historic station when it was last renovated.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:00 PM

Also, I'm happy for the proposals around Ashland, but do we really need to knock down another charming low rise? There are plenty of parking lots to build on. We really need to de-incentivize teardowns in this city.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
Also, I'm happy for the proposals around Ashland, but do we really need to knock down another charming low rise? There are plenty of parking lots to build on. We really need to de-incentivize teardowns in this city.
Which low rise is charming? I guess the bellyq restaurant is charming in that it's old, but it doesn't really have any discernible historical features, I don't think?

Certainly the other is not going to be missed, basically just a blank brick structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
^^ Ashland station is awesome! They could maintain it better (goes for all CTA stations; they seem to take the approach of $50 million rehab... do nothing for 30 years+... $75 million rehab... etc), but they intentionally saved the historic station when it was last renovated.
Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 10:45 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Views and details are great, but it could definitely use some love... I would hope it would never be replaced, just updated a la Quincy brown/purple line station.
Quincy had to be upgraded as it was not ADA-compliant. It was renovated in the 90s, but somehow they managed to avoid putting in an elevator. Ashland is already accessible. It just needs a fresh coat of paint and a thorough cleaning...

CTA was doing deep station cleans a few years ago, I remember them posting dramatic before/after photos. I guess that approach died out?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:02 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
To be more precise, WBEZ said that some of that loss can be accounted for by the Ash Borer mass removal, but not all. The real story is that not only did the city no meet the goal of adding a millions trees, they're not even replacing trees at the same number they're being removed. Trees are removed every year for all sorts for all sorts of reasons, and the city isnt keeping up.
Several years ago, the City removed two trees outside my building and only replanted one, despite multiple calls requesting a second.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:09 PM

Application was filed to replace this vacant 3 story building on Southport near the Southport Brown Line stop with a new 6 story (64 feet 1 inch) building with 35 units (efficiency) with 36 bike parking stalls and 0 car parking. Ground floor commercial space.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 12:45 AM

This is what is supposed to go in what's currently the parking lot for Meet Fresh (and a few other things) at 2020 S Clark St in Chinatown. I think ground floor is commercial and the rest might be office.

Blech

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 1:09 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Which low rise is charming? I guess the bellyq restaurant is charming in that it's old, but it doesn't really have any discernible historical features, I don't think?

Certainly the other is not going to be missed, basically just a blank brick structure.

I agree that the views are fantastic, but it definitely needs some cleaning, upgrading (albeit probably mainly cosmetic, but still!), that kind of thing. It's not that I think it's necessarily a deterrent to development nearby, but a relatively small investment could pan out remarkably well in terms of new activity, you know?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 2:07 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
This is what is supposed to go in what's currently the parking lot for Meet Fresh (and a few other things) at 2020 S Clark St in Chinatown. I think ground floor is commercial and the rest might be office.

Blech

Wow that is truly an ugly building. That area will never look good aesthetically though until something is done about the Hilliard grounds.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development