HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
there was a recent WBEZ article which mentioned we've actually lost 100k trees over the past decade and this most recent winter definitely will be exacerbating that.
those trees were lost due to the Emerald Ash Borer (Illinois as a state has lost 90% of it's ash trees due to this thing)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
those trees were lost due to the Emerald Ash Borer (Illinois as a state has lost 90% of it's ash trees due to this thing)
Ash borer decimated some areas. The city has since done a great job saving trees though. We have six ash trees on the parkway around our house and all are doing very well.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
To be more precise, WBEZ said that some of that loss can be accounted for by the Ash Borer mass removal, but not all. The real story is that not only did the city no meet the goal of adding a millions trees, they're not even replacing trees at the same number they're being removed. Trees are removed every year for all sorts for all sorts of reasons, and the city isnt keeping up.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
To be more precise, WBEZ said that some of that loss can be accounted for by the Ash Borer mass removal, but not all. The real story is that not only did the city no meet the goal of adding a millions trees, they're not even replacing trees at the same number they're being removed. Trees are removed every year for all sorts for all sorts of reasons, and the city isnt keeping up.
right this was my point. the goal was 1 million trees over 10 years, we planted something like 100k, and due to all the losses due to disease/age/weather on top of it, our canopy is being lost. and many of the saplings the city plants i doubt make it to maturity, simply look at how many stumps are along major commercial corridors or downtown (to say nothing of the fact that every developer chainsaws everything within a block radius every time they initiate a project). not to mention the city wont plant a parkway tree unless a resident specifically requests one

Last edited by Via Chicago; Jun 12, 2019 at 5:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 5:36 PM

Quote:
it also happens when planting is immediately followed by a winter that gets down to -35F. dont underestimate the cold we had, there are a LOT stressed/dead trees all over the city this spring, and if it was a sapling without an established root system (or non-native) it was especially vulnerable. sadly it dosent seem like the city is moving fast enough to replace them either. there was a recent WBEZ article which mentioned we've actually lost 100k trees over the past decade and this most recent winter definitely will be exacerbating that. but yea, it seems like every tree the city puts in near downtown is surrounded by concrete and tends to not survive more than 5 years.
Yeah, ash borer didn't do much damage to city trees, they were well treated. However, the ash trees in my neighbors yard along the alley are all dead or half deal and dropping huge branches.

The city is absolutely pathetic about planting trees. The worst part is they are dirt cheap and easy to plant if you get like 3' saplings and they tend to take root more vigorously than a juvinille tree that has had half its root ball cut off so it can be transplanted. The city could easily plant a tree in front of every building in the city for like $1 million if they just did a massive order of 3' saplings from arbor day.

One thing I always do at all my properties is make sure there's a tree planted out front in the parkway. Trees can soak up tremendous amounts of water and, given the torrential rains that seem more and more common here, we need them to drink up every drop they can.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:04 PM

For all the mistakes Daley the Younger made, his commitment to planting trees was impressive. Maybe Mayor Lightfoot will be interested and willing to push.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
right this was my point. the goal was 1 million trees over 10 years, we planted something like 100k, and due to all the losses due to disease/age/weather on top of it, our canopy is being lost. and many of the saplings the city plants i doubt make it to maturity, simply look at how many stumps are along major commercial corridors or downtown (to say nothing of the fact that every developer chainsaws everything within a block radius every time they initiate a project). not to mention the city wont plant a parkway tree unless a resident specifically requests one
Where are all the stumps? I rarely see them.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Sometimes you won't. The people developing 717 S. Clark just mowed down all the trees for pretty much the full block and then filled in the open spots in the sidewalk with CONCRETE. Not a sign that the trees ever existed.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Chicago View Post
Sometimes you won't. The people developing 717 S. Clark just mowed down all the trees for pretty much the full block and then filled in the open spots in the sidewalk with CONCRETE. Not a sign that the trees ever existed.
Got it, I definitely don't go to the South loop often where I imagine this is more common.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
The Southport Corridor in Lakeview is full of stumps - I counted roughly 45 trees that were removed in about a 4 block radius from my home this spring.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 8:03 PM

Sunrise photo meet (6/21)

Not sure if this is a good place to share this, but if you're interested in a photo-op, 360 Chicago and I are hosting a *sunrise* meet-up at the observatory on the solstice (Friday, June 21). Tickets are $11.50 and you can get them on Eventbrite here > https://www.eventbrite.com/e/summer-...ts-62511453440

You get sunrise access, coffee & donuts, rides on TILT, and up-and-dow access all-day so you can come back for sunset.

Full disclosure: I'm an ambassador of the observatoy so I do get paid to help plan and promote events and share the work I create from the atop the building. Regardless, I thought this might be a cool opportunity for some of the forums photographers to meet-up and shoot - though everyone is welcome!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 10:48 PM

^ I'm intrigued, but also lazy in the morning... what are the hours?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
it's an all day ticket - I'll be stopping by before and after work. The last time I was up in the Hancock I had to listen to a 60 minute sales pitch (SSL Decryption boards).

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
it's an all day ticket - I'll be stopping by before and after work. The last time I was up in the Hancock I had to listen to a 60 minute sales pitch (SSL Decryption boards).
Good to know!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Elevators start running at 4:30am - sunset is at 5:16am.The observatory normally opens at 8:00am on Friday

But as harry said, you can pop in and out throughout the day. Most people come for sunrise and sunset.

Looking forward to seeing you there, Harry!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:10 AM
Urbane observer

Chicago Has Fewer Burdens To New Construction Than Other U.S. Metros

says the National Apartment Association

story in Bisnow

link to study

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post

You get sunrise access, coffee & donuts, rides on TILT, and up-and-dow access all-day so you can come back for sunset.
This sounds very interesting! So even if I won't be able to make the sunrise, I can still stop by in the middle of the afternoon and evening?

I'll definitely be checking my calendar to see if I can make it downtown!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 5:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing738 View Post
This sounds very interesting! So even if I won't be able to make the sunrise, I can still stop by in the middle of the afternoon and evening?

I'll definitely be checking my calendar to see if I can make it downtown!
Correct! You don't need to come to the sunrise portion in order to get access later in the day. That said, there won't be coffee & donuts all day, and I don't believe the free TILT rides will continue once normal operating hours begin.

But the cost of this ticket is only a couple bucks more than the standard Chicago resident admission price so even if you don't make it to sunrise, it's still a good deal...especially if you visit twice in one day

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Chicago Has Fewer Burdens To New Construction Than Other U.S. Metros

says the National Apartment Association

story in Bisnow

link to study
Thank you for linking yet another website I can visit daily with anticipation of interesting Chicago news lol

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexxed82 View Post
Elevators start running at 4:30am - sunset is at 5:16am.The observatory normally opens at 8:00am on Friday

But as harry said, you can pop in and out throughout the day. Most people come for sunrise and sunset.

Looking forward to seeing you there, Harry!
As they say - if the sun rises in the West, don't pay the rent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development