HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 2:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

I really wish the bronze or copper around the arched windows was more pronounced to provide some contrast to the overall composition, but other than that, I love it. Looks like it's getting close to topping out, no?
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 5:00 PM
BANNED

^ Agreed on the window treatment, but the light catches it in a nice way two photos up.

Nonetheless, this big black beauty is gorgeous and it's facade as remarkable as its neighbor by Gehry. Great architectural addition to Downtown.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^ Agreed on the window treatment, but the light catches it in a nice way two photos up.

Nonetheless, this big black beauty is gorgeous and it's facade as remarkable as its neighbor by Gehry. Great architectural addition to Downtown.
I'm sure you didn't mean this in a bad way but I chuckled.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post

Credit: Sidestreet
Ok good. I was wondering how they would handle the giant concrete wall. It wasn't cheap I'm sure, but the only way to do it gracefully was to continue the window treatment all the way around

Whew

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 5:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: 5Bfilms

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:18 PM

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 5:05 AM
Everywhere all at once

If I wasn't driving I would've taken a picture, but earlier today (5/15), I saw two facade pieces on a truck that was parked on the side of the West Shore Expressway on Staten Island's South Shore. They were curved at the bottom and flat on top, definitely of the design for the higher floors. So I guess we'll begin to see those facade elements appearing relatively soon.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 4:06 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 17, 2019, 9:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: FC

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:01 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is officially topped out.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:26 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:40 PM

Does anybody know why the blind windows on the west side have glass while the blind windows on the east do not?

Old Posted May 21, 2019, 4:08 AM
New Yorker for life

https://ny.curbed.com/2019/5/20/1863...william-street

David Adjaye’s first NYC tower tops out in the Financial District
130 William Street reached a construction milestone on Wednesday

By Valeria Ricciulli
May 20, 2019

Quote:
British starchitect David Adjaye’s first NYC skyscraper reached a construction milestone: The building at 130 William Street, developed by Lightstone, topped out at 800 feet tall and 66 stories. Adjaye designed the building’s interiors and exteriors, inspired by Lower Manhattan’s historical architecture.

At an event last week, Adjaye and the building’s developers discussed details of its design. “What we found incredible about David’s work is that it’s so rooted in history, but not afraid to be provocative, and he has a unique ability to blend exterior architecture with interior design, something you just don’t see that often,” Mitchell C. Hochberg, president of Lightstone, said.

“We both had a goal to create a building that would be timeless, and not something that would be another glass tower in a sea of glass towers in the city.
Quote:
As far as its exteriors, the building’s hand-cast facade boasts bronze details and large arched windows. Adjaye, along with Hill West Architects, also envisioned a tower that pushes away from the street and provides a public space before the entrance.

“I sought to celebrate New York City’s heritage of masonry architecture, referencing the historical architecture once pervasive upon one of the city’s earliest streets,” Adjaye said in a statement.

“Downtown is so tight, and to be able to have an experience where you can come to a very beautiful space and then really have the distance to see the building was something that for me was very exciting,” Adjaye added during the event. “So we pushed back as much as we could and elongated the building as much as we could to really get that presence and aesthetic.”

The tower’s 242 residences will have wide-plank white oak floors and custom-designed door handles, showerheads, and faucets, all with bronze finishes.

The development launched sales last August, with units ranging between $1.3 million for a one-bedroom to $20 million for a four-bedroom penthouse.

Old Posted May 24, 2019, 10:16 AM

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 2:17 AM

taken yesterday from Brooklyn Bridge, the tower was pretty much topped and cladding is rising nicely

Old Posted Jun 29, 2019, 3:41 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This morning via my TV.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2019, 11:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Lower Center. Can also see 23 Park row. Next to 5 Beekman, which is a travesty with its PVC piping crown. Fortunately, other towers are rising that will hide that rubbish. 45 Park can be seen, hidden but by 99 Church.

Can see 99 Hudson in JC. Also, in the distance, Phase II of Journal Squared, which will be the tallest and 2nd of a 3 tower master plan.

If 30 Journal Square rises, will dramatically alter that neighborhood.

Credit: johnnyvacar

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 1:23 AM

Question - Does anyone know what the William Street street-level plan here is?

I walked by it this weekend and was surprised that there is basically a huge, lot-sized gaping hole in William Street in front of this - with the building set back by a good 50 yards.

They could have left the existing buildings in place, and this building wouldn't be affected at all (unless it plans for some sort of a New Rochelle-style porte cochere on William Street - which shouldn't be allowed at all in Downtown Manhattan).

Old Posted Jul 1, 2019, 9:28 AM

I still really like this building, including the dark concrete cladding. I could see wanting it lighter, but I like the dark, brooding vibe as is too. I'd love to have a new residential condo in Philly that looks like this. White cladding would look great too. And maybe brighter/more noticeable bronze in the window.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2019, 11:36 AM

what's with that goofy-lookin', 5 story
Pink Duck ? . . (may 20th post above) . .
maybe that can go on one of the terraces
of 15 Penn Plaza, or on a step draping around
the Spiral . . Perhaps atop a BIG silly block of
Ingles' 2WTC . . you know, amplify the ridiculousness
of one of the kitchy-lookin' towers . .

Ok, Like the overall proportion of 130 William
. . and yeah, I do like the very dark, brooding,
stone-ish look of this downtown tower also . .
needed contrast for all that cold, glitzy glass . .
that's carelessly hangin' around downtown . .
we gotta amp up a little mystique, please . .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive