HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
the other changes mentioned - more pedestrian-friendly, better connections with surroundings - I find much more important than an arbitrary max height number. sounds like this is moving in the right direction.
Agreed there is a tendancy for towers in suburbs to be built in a non walkable pattern, think Irivine high rise cluster. Which doesn't work well for people living there to do anything other than drive in drive out. Views can be nice since lack of other towers means you can see for many miles, but still auto dependent. This is a noted improvement, regardless of what skyline enthusiasts think.

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 8:55 PM

Huge credit to Davodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodd View Post
Unanimous MV City Council approval.

The Prometheus development replaces:
- A Defunct hydroponic greenhouse complex
- A 5-bay auto repair building
- a Public Storage facility

Mountain View wasn't lacking the money to support the project. Earlier in the evening, the City Council gave a unanimous approval to a large, 471-unit market-rate housing development that would occupy all of the property along East Evelyn Avenue known as the Flower Mart site. Developer Prometheus Real Estate had offered the city an unorthodox deal last year to "pre-fund" $22.7 million in affordable housing in-lieu fees, significantly more than what it was obligated to pay under the city's fee structure.

PDF of Approved Proposal

Former use:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davodd View Post

950 West El Camino Real
Request for a Planned Community Permit and Development Review Permit for a 71-unit affordable studio apartment development, with a Density Bonus Request, Provisional Use Permit for roof-top amenities above the third floor and residential accessory uses utilizing the ground-floor commercial setback, and a Heritage Tree Removal Permit to remove eight Heritage trees on a 0.61-acre project site. This project is located on the north side of West El Camino Real between Castro Street and Oak Street in the P-38 (El Camino Real) Precise Plan.

Currently looks like:

Completion: Est. Sept 2020

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 9:28 PM

Milpitas update (Inbetween San Jose and Fremont for those who are not familiar with the area)

The Fields Phase 2:

Next to The Fields:

Apartments next to BART:

Piper Drive:

The new Hotels in Milpitas. It will have a "Milpitas" signage facing the freeway which I'm excited about.

Senior Care Living (Close to The Fields)

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 9:59 PM
Metal Up Your !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
The new Hotels in Milpitas. It will have a "Milpitas" signage facing the freeway which I'm excited about.

I'm intrigued. Got a link with a rendering?

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
I'm intrigued. Got a link with a rendering?
https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...-element-0504/

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/04/...-l-hotel-0406/

http://www.ci.milpitas.ca.gov/_pdfs/...ttachmentC.pdf

I remember the Milpitas City Council pushing for them to add a "Milpitas" signage somewhere facing 880

Old Posted May 15, 2019, 9:21 PM

Santa Clara will break ground on their new mega village this month. They are expected to go vertical sometime next year and phase 1 is projected to open to the public in 2023.

Quote:
When complete, the new village would dramatically reshape the north side of Santa Clara and potentially bring 25,000 jobs to Silicon Valley when it’s fully built out and occupied. The early stages of construction will begin this month on the 240-acre project, located near Tasman Drive and Lafayette Street.

All told, the project will include 5.4 million square feet of offices, 700 hotel rooms, 1,680 residential units and 1 million square feet of retail, food, beverage, and entertainment spaces.

The first phase of the project is expected to consist of a 440,000-square-foot office building, a 430-room hotel, and some residential units. A hotel operator hasn’t been picked for the first hotel.

The development is expected to begin site preparation during May, and vertical construction should start sometime in 2020.

The first phase of the development is expected to be open to the public by 2023, Related executives estimated.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...n-santa-clara/

Old Posted May 16, 2019, 3:23 PM
Metal Up Your !

Holy... That came out of no where. This is a development I am talking about. This destroys anything built around transit (in terms of pedestrian activity). Looks like the pedestrian experience is a priority, as well as it should be. Bay area needs these, specially in the south bay, where it is a lot more car-centric.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:29 AM
heavy user of walkability

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Holy... That came out of no where. This is a development I am talking about. This destroys anything built around transit (in terms of pedestrian activity). Looks like the pedestrian experience is a priority, as well as it should be. Bay area needs these, specially in the south bay, where it is a lot more car-centric.
if I am understanding this post correctly, the developers agree with you:

Quote:
... Stephen Eimer, a Related executive vice president, said the developer was attracted to the site because of its proximity to transit from the Santa Clara Valley Transit Authority and Amtrak and Altamont Corridor Express trains. VTA light rail trains will connect to Caltrain stations in Mountain View and San Jose and a soon-to-open BART station in Milpitas. ...

Old Posted May 22, 2019, 9:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Santa Clara will break ground on their new mega village this month. They are expected to go vertical sometime next year and phase 1 is projected to open to the public in 2023.

Amazing development and apparent designs! However, there are only 1600 residential units relative to 5.4 MILLION SF of new office, among other uses with more jobs. Thats at least 3200 SF of offices per residence. I would think the region could prioritize (and permit) sites like these for more housing.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwill89 View Post
Amazing development and apparent designs! However, there are only 1600 residential units relative to 5.4 MILLION SF of new office, among other uses with more jobs. Thats at least 3200 SF of offices per residence. I would think the region could prioritize (and permit) sites like these for more housing.
You keep saying the region, the region, county level doesn't do land use, never have never will. Santa Clara (the city not the county) zones it this way specifically.

This is a bad development for the region, and only marginally better than Jay Paul's Moffett xxxxx (Towers, Place, Towers 2) in Sunnyvale put together. Light rail is a poor transit option and has lead to significant traffic increases on 101 and 237. This will be worse for traffic and has significant environmental issues, Capitol Corridor and ACE are barely used in this corridor, Santa Clara could have targeted this kind of development near SCU, and BART, but didn't.

This is exactly the thing the South Bay doesn't need.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
... This is exactly the thing the South Bay doesn't need.
What the South Bay (and Bay Area as a whole) needs are more places to live, near places to work, near mass transit.

This chicken and the egg style criticism is ignorant.

All of the above needs to be built and/or improved, but arguing that one is lacking and, therefore, should not invest in the other is absurd.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
What the South Bay (and Bay Area as a whole) needs are more places to live, near places to work, near mass transit.

This chicken and the egg style criticism is ignorant.

All of the above needs to be built and/or improved, but arguing that one is lacking and, therefore, should not invest in the other is absurd.
Your critique here is lacking. I complain about huge development far from transit and your response is
Quote:

What the South Bay needs specifically is less of this kind of huge development away from transit, and more development geared towards transit, like what is going on in San Jose, but in other cities. Instead of office towers near Lockhead Martin, Sunnyvale should've double down on rebuilding downtown Sunnyvale with office towers, and not 8 stories, 10-12 or more. Mountain View instead of expanding more offices for Google and LinkedIn in the suburbs, should have started rezoning the parking lots near Castro St for similar office buildings. All these cities have mass transit, and they turned their backs on it, and then a developer chooses to add a big development with about as much office space as downtown San Jose combined, out in the north end where there are only offices parks and not really mass transit and you're all like this is what the South Bay needs.

That is ignorant, and completely ignorant of the issues here, well either that or you just don't care. The roads are already clogged during rush hour that now starts before 3pm in the afternoons, and we want more road dependent development?, 9.8Msqft of office space is enough for 49000 employees, only up to 3200 of which can live there, the rest all driving in from San Jose, Milpitas, Fremont etc, since they have no real way to get there otherwise.

Let's not pretend they will take light rail that averages 14mph, and is not a short or friendly walk to their office, or Capitol Corridor or ACE that run about 3 trains during rush hour at best.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:33 PM

Quote:
I complain about huge development far from transit and your response is
I guess I'm not sure what your point is. Are you making a hypothetical argument in favor of an ideal scenario where trains go everywhere and large developments only happen in dense, transit-rich areas?

My point was that criticizing a project because of traffic or lack of transit will not fix congestion or bring in mass transit. If anything, there's a better chance it (better transit infrastructure) would follow a large scale development like this (near a stadium mind you).

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
I guess I'm not sure what your point is. Are you making a hypothetical argument in favor of an ideal scenario where trains go everywhere and large developments only happen in dense, transit-rich areas?

My point was that criticizing a project because of traffic or lack of transit will not fix congestion or bring in mass transit. If anything, there's a better chance it (better transit infrastructure) would follow a large scale development like this (near a stadium mind you).
Trains don't go everywhere, so we (the South Bay) needs to focus on building on where they do go. It isn't rocket science, TOD has been discussed in the Bay Area for over 15 years. There has been a handful of development like that, but it has been outsized by these kind of mega developments in the suburbs away from transit, it has lead to gridlock in the South Bay, and it is time to change things not double down on that pattern.

Quote:
My point was that criticizing a project because of traffic or lack of transit will not fix congestion or bring in mass transit.
Not now, but hopefully those in charge will listen and the next time another comes along they will realize we told them so, and now traffic is here and maybe move the next development to focus near transit next time.

Saying nothing is much worse, building more auto-dependent jobs means workers have no choice. We as a region need to move beyond that, and focus on the huge investments in Caltrain and BART by VTA and leverage that, instead of acting like we can just dump another 45000 cars on the road and pretend everything will be okay. Criticism is more than fair.

The dislike of TOD here is bizzare, especially given how much worse traffic has become in the last 10 years.

As a resident of Santa Clara County I actually have a vested interest in not having VTA having to double down in widening every highway here, it costs a ton of money and doesn't really help that much, but when jobs are nowhere close to transit, that is what you get. In the meantime we are spending what $8B on BART and we shouldn't put jobs there? Come on.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Trains don't go everywhere...
Yep, yep. Totally.

I'm not arguing against TOD. It's absolutely paramount but it's not (nor should it be) a realistic prerequisite to a project's merit.

Not everything can be built near a station, but new stations, in fact, can be built near population centers—hence the chicken/egg thing I mentioned to start.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2019, 6:55 AM
heavy user of walkability

a glimpse of some of the new housing going up near Redwood City Caltrain. this is looking roughly north from El Camino, near Jefferson. the train tracks run behind the buildings in the distance

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 5:56 PM

Wow... well this is big news in my small town

The City of Milpitas is proposing a "Personal Rapid Transportation" (PRT) for its residents. This will be a FREE service for residents and it will be paid for by donations, advertising and add-on services. There will be 2 phases if everything gets approved. The first phase will be a 5 station "mini-loop" around the Milpitas BART station, The Fields and Great Mall. If the first phase is successful, they will build out 7 additional stations around the area.

The mini-loop is estimated to cost $22.5mil and the 2nd phase will be an additional $37.5mil.

I am going to estimate that this will take 6-10 years for it to be built out. I hope this gets built out so people can easily go around The Fields future shopping center, Great Mall and BART easily.

PDF: https://sunnyhillsneighborhood.org/poster.pdf

Memorandum: https://sunnyhillsneighborhood.org/mou-milpitas.pdf

Site: https://sunnyhillsneighborhood.org/crossing.html

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 8:14 PM

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 9:50 AM

Now THAT is freaking cool! Are there any examples of something like currently in operation elsewhere? I'd make the drive up from the spend some money there as an excuse to try this out.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutonicpanda View Post
Now THAT is freaking cool! Are there any examples of something like currently in operation elsewhere? I'd make the drive up from the spend some money there as an excuse to try this out.
Apparently it's still in the planning stages so we shouldn't get too excited. That's why I believe IF it does get approved, EIR, funding etc, it would probably take 10 years haha.

They're trying to mimic that of Disneyland/Las Vegas but of course in a much smaller scale

It would be a great addition to the city and I'm sure will increase the property value around the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations