HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 6:07 PM

Wonderful article!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2019, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
This needs to happen. I-980 is a scar on the city that serves as a little used 2.5 mile shortcut between other freeway.

What If a City Decides It Can Live Without a Freeway?

https://grist.org/article/oakland-ca...nterstate-980/
I was having a drink with an architect that's tangentially involved with this and they made it sound like it's not a matter of if, but when. Some connected people really pushing to make it happen.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyMucho View Post
I was having a drink with an architect that's tangentially involved with this and they made it sound like it's not a matter of if, but when. Some connected people really pushing to make it happen.
That is excellent news! I know Libby Schaff is on board.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 10:49 PM
Show me the blueprints

Love me some Freeway Removal--->Urban Blvd

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 4, 2019, 2:55 AM

That development looks nice. Just curious, who is going to pay for removing the bridges, roadway, new grading, and new roadway. Also, what is the city's track record on developing city owned land and building infrastructure of this scale? Any issues with FHWA? It is part of the national highway system. Any capacity issues diverting traffic onto I-580 and through the I-80/ I-880 interchange, which is already at capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
This needs to happen. I-980 is a scar on the city that serves as an underused 2.5 mile shortcut between other freeways. Removing it would open up 17 acres of city-owned land for new development that could and should include affordable housing, which remains in short supply regionally.

What If a City Decides It Can Live Without a Freeway?

https://grist.org/article/oakland-ca...nterstate-980/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:20 PM

This Neoscape link has some good things to say about Oakland, along with a few new renderings and video.

https://neoscape.com/blog/2019/01/07...de-of-the-bay/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:45 PM

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 10:50 PM

Still struggling to post images, but that model of a proposed uptown tower is here:

https://www.instaguz.com/post/205830...61_13131686732

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 6:15 AM
heavy user of walkability

test

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:27 AM

That's it! What a beautiful monstrosity!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 6:08 PM

Love it!

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tall/awkward View Post
Still struggling to post images, but that model of a proposed uptown tower is here:

https://www.instaguz.com/post/205830...61_13131686732

If you right click on the picture in the link, you can copy the image address then paste it when you click on "insert image"

Old Posted Jun 9, 2019, 10:29 PM

It's the building detailed in this article, potentially Oakland's new tallest. Does it have its own thread?

https://socketsite.com/archives/2019...own-tower.html

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:30 PM

Kaiser Permanente to build new $900 million Oakland headquarters

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...photo-15828186

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 5:32 AM
heavy user of walkability

being only somewhat familiar with Oakland and its many projects, maps like this one from the article in the previous post are helpful to me. posting in case helpful to others too

Old Posted Jun 19, 2019, 6:05 PM

I highly recommend taking a walk around that whole area. Lots of construction action to take in.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 4:24 AM

Nice picture from SPUR/Sergio Ruiz looking down Broadway/Telegraph - 1640 Broadway (left foreground), 1314 Franklin, and 1100 Broadway.

Broadway and Telegraph, Oakland
by SPUR, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 3:02 PM

Another residential highrise about to get going in Downtown Oakland:

With new developers, 23-story Oakland tower to break ground this summer

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...-tower-to.html

After gaining approval from the Oakland City Council earlier this week, developer Holland Partner Group plans to break ground on a 223-unit residential project at 2016 Telegraph Ave. later this summer.

Holland took over the project from Lane Partners, which had a development agreement with the city and gained approval for two residential towers at 2015 and 2016 Telegraph Ave. two years ago. City council voted to transfer that development agreement from Lane to Keller Holland Telegraph Investors LLC — a partnership between Holland and Dick Keller. Holland will lead the development efforts while Keller will provide equity capital, with PNC Bank expected to provide debt capital, according to the city’s staff report.

The Vancouver-based developers are in the process of finalizing building permits for the 23-story building — designed by SCB Architects — and plan to break ground by late August or September, according to John Wayland, executive managing director for Holland’s Bay Area office. The units will be market-rate with Holland paying a $2.6 million fee for affordable housing. The project will also include retail space. “Holland is very excited about starting construction and believes that this project will significantly contribute to the vibrancy of Oakland's Uptown District and Telegraph Ave," Wayland said. He declined to share construction and development costs.

Oakland Councilmember Lynette McElhaney, who represents District 3, said in an email that the project will turn an underutilized lot into “much needed housing and retail,” while also helping to address affordability in the city through its $2.6 million fee payment. “This development fits within our vision of a vibrant downtown that serves the needs of Oaklanders and the region,” McElhaney said.

The project is located a block away from the former Sears retail store at 1955 Broadway, now known as the Uptown Station. Uber Technologies Inc. bought the building from Lane Partners in 2015 with the intention of opening its first East Bay office, but sold it in 2017. Last year, Square Inc. fully leased the building.

The site at 2016 Telegraph Ave. has long been dormant. In 2005, the Oakland City Council came to an agreement with Sears on a ground lease at the site for the retail giant to build an auto center and parking garage. In exchange, Sears sold its building at 1911 Telegraph Ave. — a site with its own history of delayed and failed developments — to the city for $12.5 million. But, the new auto center at 2016 Telegraph was never built and it has remained a parking lot to this day.

In 2017, Lane Partners and the city came to a development agreement, and Lane proposed the two residential towers — an 18-story, 230-unit building at 2016 Telegraph Ave. and a 14-story, 144-unit building at 2015 Telegraph Ave. Despite gaining approval from the city, the two residential towers did not progress. In December 2018, Holland sought to have the development agreement transferred to them, but its equity partners fell through — delaying the transfer until this week with its new equity partner, Dick Keller.

Holland has several other residential development projects in Oakland that are currently under construction. A mixed-use, 419-unit building with 60,000 square feet of retail at 24th and Harrison Sts. is expected to deliver in May 2021, and two other mixed-use projects — a 247-unit building at 1721 Webster St. and a 261-unit building at 226 13th St. — complete construction in February 2020, according to the city’s staff report.

Holland is not involved with the 2015 Telegraph Ave site. Property Markets Group (PMG), a Manhattan-based developer, are the new developers there and have gained approval for an 18-story, 112-unit building as part of its co-living strategy, called PMG X Social Communities. Fitzgerald Architects are the architects of record on the project and Studio KDA are the design architects. The project is PMG’s first in Oakland.

PMG did not respond to requests for comment by the time of publication.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2019, 4:49 PM

Oakland is on a roll

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 10:19 PM
A Man In Dandism

Time to show Oakland some love! I am attaching a map from the Chronicle that I am reposting for reference. Enjoy!

Not sure which project this is - on the corner of 12th and Harrison

1261 Harrison (on the left), 1314 Franklin on the right

1314 Franklin

In the background

1640 Broadway
From afar (on the right)

1700 Webster (background left center), 1721 Webster (background far left)

1700 Webster
Background

1721 Webster
From afar (on the left)

1900 Broadway

Kaiser HQ, 2100 Telegraph
Would be just a block down from this photo, behind the Paramount Theatre

Uptown Station, 1945 Broadway
From afar

1100 Broadway

1100 Clay

601 City Center

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations