HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:08 AM

Oh btw I come into Chicago at times on either Amtrak's California Zephyr or the Southwest Chief so it will be cool coming in beneath it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:03 AM

BMO expanding in Chicago and RBC (via Harris Bank) is looking to expand it's presence developing the Gateway tower in Minneapolis....Oh Canada!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBob View Post
BMO expanding in Chicago and RBC (via Harris Bank) is looking to expand it's presence developing the Gateway tower in Minneapolis....Oh Canada!
I'm not following. RBC has nothing to do with Harris Bank.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
I'm bummed we're not getting the gorgeous SOM design but actually prefer the programming of this – time to get more mixed-use in the area.

Maybe this will compel Sterling Bay to go for another site in West Loop Gate for their proposal. They could site it two blocks south at Harrison & Clinton, on the full block where the Holiday Inn and parking lot are, across the street from the Old Post Office.
Horrifying design. Terrible buildings. Chicago can do better than this....

barf.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 5:01 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
Horrifying design. Terrible buildings. Chicago can do better than this....

barf.
Wished GP switched it up a little bit, I get that they have a certain style, but at this point it’s just getting repetive.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
Wished GP switched it up a little bit, I get that they have a certain style, but at this point it’s just getting repetive.
It's funny that you say that as your signature quotes the guy who believed that a universal aesthetic language could be used for every building on every site.

I think while some of the big moves on this building are the same as used at 110 N Wacker, the specific details of the base, lobby, curtainwall etc. are going to make them feel like very different buildings, especially when experienced from the street level. And 110 no longer has this 3 step massing, it's more about the way that the facade steps horizontally to follow the river.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:02 PM

Is it feasible that the old Florshiem building North of Union Station can be developed? Is it currently apartments or condos?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:04 PM

Duplicate

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
Is it feasible that the old Florshiem building North of Union Station can be developed? Is it currently apartments or condos?
condos

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 9:53 PM
MPLSXCHI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
It's funny that you say that as your signature quotes the guy who believed that a universal aesthetic language could be used for every building on every site.

I think while some of the big moves on this building are the same as used at 110 N Wacker, the specific details of the base, lobby, curtainwall etc. are going to make them feel like very different buildings, especially when experienced from the street level. And 110 no longer has this 3 step massing, it's more about the way that the facade steps horizontally to follow the river.
I dont have a problem with GP buildings they are always pretty well done, and turn our nice . However they have shown that they are capable of something different (UBS, Transbay etc.) Excluding 150n Riverside, recently I’ve felt their office tower designs have been looking very similar in Chicago.

And I hope you’re right about tje details, something interesting like 150’s Curtain wall would be nice.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:20 AM
THAT Guy

Looks like they are borrowing some elements from Viceroy for the facade.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Nice touch on the columns!

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 1:28 PM

I didn't realize they were going to have matching column trees on both sides. Details are excellent on this one, should be a stunner haters be damned. Glad we are getting the 3 tier structure we lost on Wacker.

Also, this is going to be a big skyline changer as it's the furthest West 700'+ building in the city. From the South it will help bridge the gap to the West Loop and from the West on 290 it will fill in the space between Sears and 311.

Last edited by LouisVanDerWright; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 2:36 PM
BANNED

^That is a nice touch.

I hope the contrast between light and dark window panes is as defined as the rendering shows. I also hope the two colors of glass comes out as a very dark blue and a shade of silver. No more blue glass!

EDIT: Disregard my observation. See JC's post on next page.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Dec 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 3:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i love that the column "trees" now come together and touch the ground at a single point as opposed to the crisscross pattern seen in this earlier rendering below.

and yes, double cool that the column trees will be on both the park and street sides of the tower! that's one dead sexy base.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Dec 12, 2018 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:09 PM

I hope this development plus the post office redevelopment prompts the city to improve the Clinton blue line station. It's pretty dingy as-is.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Does BMO have sizable offices in the suburbs? I assume most employment is bank branches out there.
They have a pretty big operations center in Naperville.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^That is a nice touch.

I hope the contrast between light and dark window panes is as defined as the rendering shows. I also hope the two colors of glass comes out as a very dark blue and a shade of silver. No more blue glass!
If you are talking about the hue differences on the faceted portion of the rendering it almost certainly is not different glass color; that is just light and shadow.

To that end, silver glass is just going to look blue anyways. Unless it has a very strong color profile most glass going to look blue in a ton of lighting conditions. Hand wringing over blue glass is pretty pointless in that regard.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post

Nice I am glad to see they've been refining the design. That facade is gonna look dope.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2018, 5:10 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
I hope this development plus the post office redevelopment prompts the city to improve the Clinton blue line station. It's pretty dingy as-is.
Yeah and it should have a Canal Street exit if possible. Direct office to the post office would be even better (and I think would allow covered access to Union Station as well via a platform).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive