HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:17 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Pleasing to see it looks like there will be a lower level riverwalk too.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:19 AM

If this, WPE, and WPS all get built, this confluence at Wolf Point is going to be quite the jaw dropping experience on boat tours/ground level.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:23 AM

Great structural detail on the river. Should be another interesting addition for the boat tours.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyked3 View Post
I don't understand how a 52 story office tower will be 800 feet tall. 300 N. LaSalle has 60 stories and is 785 feet. Have floor heights gone up by that much?
From recollection, I believe that it was said 52 'occupiable' floors.

Yes, the floor-to-ceiling height is more generous in this tower, so I was told. Also remember that the lobby will be 40' high.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:36 AM

Quote:
-Stepped core because of the dynamics of the sight

-three columns get transferred to one along the riverside of the tower
Stepped low-mid-high or do you mean south to north staggering?

Also, "9 into 3" sounds even more impressive than three into one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris11 View Post
If this, WPE, and WPS all get built, this confluence at Wolf Point is going to be quite the jaw dropping experience on boat tours/ground level.
To the point where they'll want to linger - and there'll be a jam of boats at the confluence.
Not a bad problem to have.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 5:58 AM

Looks good. I love the little bit of structural expression on the riverside. It will be great if this one gets built though I hope 130 N Franklin is able to land an anchor before this one.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:02 AM

IMG_1737 by mike viamontes, on Flickr

IMG_1738 by mike viamontes, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 6:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlw777 View Post
Looks good. I love the little bit of structural expression on the riverside. It will be great if this one gets built though I hope 130 N Franklin is able to land an anchor before this one.
Why? This looks like a fantastic plan for the site, and any future re-attempt by another developer could end up much more bland, whereas 130 N Franklin is reasonably good but would probably only improve if it gets pushed into the future.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Pleasing to see it looks like there will be a lower level riverwalk too.
Maybe this project along with 150 and RP will get the city to start work on the north/south riverwalk and have wrap-around paths from lake to roosevelt. Or at least to the riverline project.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE View Post
Maybe this project along with 150 and RP will get the city to start work on the north/south riverwalk and have wrap-around paths from lake to roosevelt. Or at least to the riverline project.
That's up to the Army Corps. They make the decision as you're narrowing the width of the river and the south branch is already smaller than the main.

Remember there are standards as this is a navigable waterway.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 9:01 AM

doooooooooooooooo it!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 10:03 AM

Just my mind going...

And I'm being totally greedy, but I'd like to see one more setback section tier of 14-16 stories and it be a hotel. Why not make it truly iconic? I heard that word several times at the meeting. Chicago doesn't have a 300-room hotel in the sky. The developers may have maxed out all their FAR, but I think with the changes in zoning made last year, you can $purchase$ additional FAR. Also I don't know if they're done Adopt-a-Landmark, but the Washington Blvd bridge houses could use some major TLC.

THE STAIR-STEP

A few images regarding logistics.

Here you see the vertical fins in the renderings are in fact a serrated facade.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 11:30 AM
The Moon Rulez! #1

Maybe they'll use barges like they did on 150 North Riverside to move equipment and stage certain phases of construction, float a crain on the river perhaps?

Not a fan of the Northern portion of the base, it just kind of ends. Not really sure they need a park on this site along Randolph. If you're going for open space at this location, how about some large scale public art, or perhaps a fountain. Enough with the small plaza's and planters.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 1:11 PM
Ascension

^ Build it nao.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 1:13 PM

Quote:
From recollection, I believe that it was said 52 'occupiable' floors.

Yes, the floor-to-ceiling height is more generous in this tower, so I was told. Also remember that the lobby will be 40' high.
Interesting. Seems like O'Donnell and Hughes are trying to position this tower as a really premium product - like 150 Riverside. Even more premium than 130 N Franklin, which I assume is their main competition. Too bad Sidley decided to stay. I'd feel more optimistic about one or both of these towers happening then. I don't know who else is shopping for anchor sized space right now.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:45 PM
BANNED

I'm a little disappointed that it's another box. I appreciate the detail and the riverwalk is great, but I'd like to see something proposed that breaks the mold. I honestly think most of the people on the forum could design this, or better. There are some very good attempts at original design with office towers under construction or proposed in San Francisco, Philly and Seattle, and so it should be in Chicago.

Yes, the City has its own design aesthetic, but that doesn't preclude it from producing something new. We're seeing some great strides forward in residential stuff, but it hasn't happened yet with office. WPS is a good step in that direction but I'd like to see something bolder announced. It can still be big and broad shouldered, but it should be challenging.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 2:52 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ if 150 N riverside isn't "challenging", then i don't know what the hell you're looking for.

and river point certainly broke out of the box mold too.

and those are the two most recent major office towers built in this town.

anyway, boxes are good. boxes are true. boxes are RIDICULOUSLY efficient. it all comes down to detailing and execution.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:00 PM

Or we can just keep building really high quality buildings that perfectly fulfill the roles they are designed to play instead of chasing novelty. Not sure how this qualifies as a "box" with all the set backs and the serrated river edge. Other than having 90 degree corners, it has nothing in common with a box. I also see no reason to ever build anything other than 90 degree corners unless you have a very specific requirement that demands them because all other shapes are extremely inefficient.

Let everyone else have their blobs and dildos, I'm just fine with building practical designs that effectively address their requirements. This one has quite a stunning lobby and siting to boot, we don't really need any other structural acrobatics.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2017, 3:01 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

This continues the trend of tall bulky, yet elegant, buildings on the river, River Point and 150 N Riverside have a major presence on the skyline looking from the west but they look absolutely massive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive