HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I rather like the design of the proposed museum. If it is well executed, it will be an interesting addition to the rather bland streetscape that is Congress Ave. I am also not uncomfortable with the growing numbers of Hispanics (mostly Mexican American or Central American) who now call Austin home. I think the Hispanic presence in Austin is vital and interesting. I would be lying, however, if I did not admit to being concerned that, unless this growing presence of Hispanics does not assimilate in fairly short order, there is the real danger that the rule of law in this part of Texas could give way to a corrupt judiciary and corrupt law enforcement who take their cues from the highest bidder. I am also concerned that kidnapping of middle class citizens may become a real threat and that that whole neighborhoods and communities might be held hostage to criminal gangs. That is how things are in much of northern Mexico today and increasingly how things are in the southern third of Texas. It is one of the main reasons, along with economic opportunity, that large numbers of Hispanics from Mexico and Central America come to this country. Unfortunately many of these problems follow them here. These are legitimate concerns, but they probably need to be discussed elsewhere on SSP or perhaps in another online forum.
Actually Houston, San Antonio, Austin and El Paso have been getting the better end of the"drug wars". Lots of wealthy class Mexicans have been moving to Texas, especially from Monterrey to pursue their educations, or continue with their careers because of the rising crimes in the Northern parts of Mexico. Texas has been benefiting so much from it, actually. And these types of Mexicans are the educated ones who already are successful at something. They find it easy to move to Texas because they can afford it, its not expensive, its easy for them to fit in and still close to home.

I just ran into a couple like a month ago who were on their honeymoon here in San Francisco. They had just moved from Monterrey to Austin. The guy wanted to open up a music store, which is what he was already doing in Monterrey. I asked him why Austin and said that he always liked Austin and Monterrey has just been getting too crazy. Keep in mind, that lots of these folks have strong ties to America. They either studied here, or visit regularly and speak English very very fluently. You can basically compare them or even sometimes confuse them to Europeans. These people are making Texas cooler and more diverse.

Now crime and violence may certainly increase but that is always expected for a growing region.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Mods didn't like the branching off into political views.
I didn't either, quite frankly. Let's stick to development, guys.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 10:50 PM
SUSPENDED

Great.

Being new to Austin and having lived in San Antonio, I have a question.

I love San Antonio's Art Museum off of the new Riverwalk addition. I think the size and quality of its exhibits are just perfect and it being free on Tuesdays is sweet(and the only time I went, with a two dollar donation).

Now, I like San Antonio's art museum not because I am some huge art fan, I am not, but I am a huge fan of history, I love that SA's art museum has Roman, Greek, Chinese etc etc exhibits, pretty much covers most of the world and for a large span of time...... now stick with me....

Is there an art museum like this in Austin? Or even better? Also, what would you say would be the best historical museum?

And, of course your replies will show this or not, does Austin lack quality museums?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2013, 11:23 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Austin pretty much has four museums that are currently of note: The Bob Bullock museum, the Blanton, Mexic-Arte, and the LBJ Library.

We have many smaller museums and galleries, though, the Mexican American Cultural Center, The Contemporary Austin, AMOA, Henry Ransom Center, Mondo Gallery, Yard Dog, Umlauf, grayDuck, and probably others.

San Antonio, though, has a significantly better art scene.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 5:15 AM

Yes, Austin lacks quality art museums, especially if you consider that we are now a fairly large and very wealthy city. The problem is that we have recently become large and wealthy. There have not been many serious collectors or benefactors to date. Hopefully that will change in the coming years, but Austin is way behind with regards to museums. Houston, Dallas , Fort Worth, and probably San Antonio have better quality art museums at the present time. Fort Worth is the example that always speaks to me in terms of what can be accomplished by a medium sized city with regards to developing really good art museums. Fort Worth had some very wealthy and very serious benefactors over the years and created three exceptionally good art museums in the process. Fort Worth also has a new and quite good natural history museum. Austin does have the Blanton, which has a fair amount decent art in the permanent collection, including some serious 20th Century American art (thanks mostly to the James Michener estate), and a good Latin American collection. The Blanton also hosts frequent traveling exhibitions from other museums. The art space downtown on Congress (I can't remember what it is called) is a joke; basically it is an empty two story retail space that has been tricked out with a few modern architectural elements.There is no permanent collection, and the temporary exhibits are usually an embarrassment. I really don't know what goes on at Laguna Gloria these days. I was not impressed the last time I was there several years ago. The Ransom Center on the UT campus still has some good Latin American art and a large horde of interesting manuscripts from various periods. The Bob Bullock Texas History Museum is somewhat interesting and a big improvement over the previous Texas history museum on the UT campus, but it is really not all that special. It could be, with more money and better curating. Good luck getting that from the state legislature any time soon. I always piss off local boosters with my assessment of the Austin museum scene, but I think I paint a pretty accurate, if somewhat depressing, picture of what we have to offer here. On the other hand, I think that Austin is a city where a lot of good visual art is being created. In other words, there are a lot of talented artists living in the area, but the local gallery scene is bush league and not up to the job of marketing these artists or making any of them into big names. Probably no city in Texas has a gallery scene dynamic enough to accomplish that task. That is an area dominated by NY and to a lesser degree LA.

Last edited by austlar1; Oct 23, 2013 at 5:31 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 12:08 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I'd like to have a museum of ancient warfare. Ever since taking Military History for 2 semesters at UT, it has fascinated me. I really enjoyed those classes.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 5:19 PM
SUSPENDED

Thanks guys, yeah I am going to definitely check out the LBJ library, I just have been lazy.

You never know what will happen in this town, as i've found out. I mean, look at little ole Fayetteville Ar(well, outside of town), the Waltons recently built a museum which overnight became one of the art museums in the country.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 5:20 PM
Everywhere all at once

But bottom line here, are the plans to build the damn thing in the near future feasible? This debate is tiring, all museums of anything contribute something to a city's cultural offerings, and Austin should work to up its cultural standing as it continues to grow.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 8:13 PM

^well said

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Thanks guys, yeah I am going to definitely check out the LBJ library, I just have been lazy.

You never know what will happen in this town, as i've found out. I mean, look at little ole Fayetteville Ar(well, outside of town), the Waltons recently built a museum which overnight became one of the art museums in the country.
Here is a link to Alice Walton's museum in Bentonville. Holy Cow! That's what I'm talking about! Austin needs this kind of big time patronage for an art museum. Ironically, Alice Walton now resides outside of Fort Worth, but I guess she is putting her money to work on a museum in little old Bentonville.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal...f_American_Art

Old Posted Oct 24, 2013, 11:07 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Here is a link to Alice Walton's museum in Bentonville. Holy Cow! That's what I'm talking about! Austin needs this kind of big time patronage for an art museum. Ironically, Alice Walton now resides outside of Fort Worth, but I guess she is putting her money to work on a museum in little old Bentonville.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal...f_American_Art
Edit on my post: "one of the better art museums"

Yeah man, its a really nice project. Austin has a bright future, for sure, but I wonder if that is not far away or if the financial givings here will take a long time to materialize.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:42 AM
クラブトクヨ

Not a Skyscraper (Mod move if needed)

Does anyone have any further info on this? Looks so cool!

http://www.mexic-artemuseum.org/new_building

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Does anyone have any further info on this? Looks so cool!

http://www.mexic-artemuseum.org/new_building
This is a fantasy/vision project from a few years ago. There may have been a thread for it, but if not there were some posts about it somewhere. I think the consensus was that it is awesome but will never get built.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 2:51 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is a fantasy/vision project from a few years ago. There may have been a thread for it, but if not there were some posts about it somewhere. I think the consensus was that it is awesome but will never get built.
Man that sucks, looks so neat. :/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:47 AM
Meh

I think this is still active. It's still listed on the emerging projects list.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...5_november.pdf

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/DowntownAu...2015-11-18.pdf

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I wonder where the city gets the info for some of the projects on the list. It's certainly not from SSP or even recent building permit filings much of the time. They've had block 52 on the list for years even though there's no project planned.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2015, 4:53 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post

I hope so! I feel like the project is so Austin, its unique and colorful!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin