Stats Canada homicides tables:
http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/cansim/a03...253-0007&p2=31

Click on the table #, and use the Add/Remove Data to customize your table
You can also download the tables by using the Beyond 20/20 Browser
- Select Download,
- Go to option #2, - Download entire table
- Beyond 20/20 Format
- Download entire table
- You have the option to download the file (IVT file format) as well download the Beyond 20/20 Browser for Windows (18.9 MB)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 9:56 PM

Is there any information on what peoples' motivaion for homicide/murder is? I for one would be interested in what causes people to kill each other. Personally speaking, I've often been very angry with people but can't conceive of any situation where I'd want to kill them. Just curious as to what the the thought process is. If any, I know many are impulsive.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
In October, a 38 year old man was run over and killed by someone he knew
this one is interesting. at what point did it become a murder as opposed to vehicular manslaughter? people get killed everyday from idiot drivers but they dont usually get the murder charge.

i guess it probably has to do with it being intentional/ premeditated.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 11:17 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GernB View Post
Is there any information on what peoples' motivaion for homicide/murder is?
Cause and motive are not the same thing. And of course there's information about both- thousands of pieces of research addressing everything from chemical imbalances to social structure to climate.

Take a uni criminology course.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Cause and motive are not the same thing. And of course there's information about both- thousands of pieces of research addressing everything from chemical imbalances to social structure to climate.

Take a uni criminology course.
Far too old to take any university course on anything. Just wanted to know something of peoples' motivations, and of any websites that might offer some easy insight. In many cases it seems to me that murderers are just incompetent sadsacks rather than malicious monsters. An offhand interest of mine if you will. Just rambling here, sorry if I offended anyone.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:40 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintzilla View Post
this one is interesting. at what point did it become a murder as opposed to vehicular manslaughter? people get killed everyday from idiot drivers but they dont usually get the murder charge.

i guess it probably has to do with it being intentional/ premeditated.
It's whether or not there is intent. The man in the car specifically sought out and drove onto the sidewalk with the intent of running over and killing the victim.

Last week here, a bus driver accidentally ran over and killed a woman who was talking down the street at night in dark clothing. He was charged with unsafe driving, and fired. He didn't mean to kill her, though. That's the difference.

Quote:
Is there any information on what peoples' motivaion for homicide/murder is? I for one would be interested in what causes people to kill each other. Personally speaking, I've often been very angry with people but can't conceive of any situation where I'd want to kill them. Just curious as to what the the thought process is. If any, I know many are impulsive.
There has been tons of research into criminal behaviour and why people murder each other, just go to Google and look it up.

Most of the homicides in Canada are domestic violence related. Men just start beating on their wife and don't stop until they're dead. (Women can do the same but it's quite rare and is more often done in self defence.) In one really gruesome case from 2009, the man continued beating and raping his dead girlfriend's body for a week after she died. (This happened in an apartment building, within days everyone moved out and it has sat vacant since.) There was another homicide two years ago where an elderly man had decided he'd simply had enough of his disabled wife and shot her. Immediately after he called 911 and turned himself in.

Local police often remind us that most of our crime happens at about 500 or so "problem" addresses. This is out of 50,000 addresses in the city. If we had a better way to help women get out of abusive relationships safely, and help the men in them get their emotions under better control, we could easily cut our homicide rate in half.

Quote:
Far too old to take any university course on anything. Just wanted to know something of peoples' motivations, and of any websites that might offer some easy insight. In many cases it seems to me that murderers are just incompetent sadsacks rather than malicious monsters. An offhand interest of mine if you will. Just rambling here, sorry if I offended anyone.
You're never too old for university. If you're interested in something and you've got the money, go take a course. I am pretty sure many university lectures are open to the public as well.

There are a few members here who have taken criminology courses, you could try asking the question in the Skybar.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:46 AM

Surrey, BC is livng up to its rep. Not even a day into 2014 and they already have their first homicide.

image from metronews.ca

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Surrey, BC is livng up to its rep. Not even a day into 2014 and they already have their first homicide.

image from metronews.ca
Well it looks like Winnipeg might not be the murder capital as long as Surrey keeps all this crime up! But hopefully Surrey will not be that bad. I predict Surrey will get 18 homicides.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolmak View Post
#24 for surrey when a body was found on 102ave on 27th of Dec.
With a population of 502,000, the murder rate is only 4.8. Not that bad really.
Yes it is.

It's made worse by the fact that it is not an anomaly. Next to Surrey is Langley and then Abbotsford/Mission/Chilliwack..........all extremely high crime rate cities. The entire NuWest to Hope corridor has a very high crime rate by Canadian standards and high by Western standards save the US.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 9:14 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

What's the crime like in New Westminster itself? It always seemed a nice little town when I've visited.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Yes it is.

It's made worse by the fact that it is not an anomaly. Next to Surrey is Langley and then Abbotsford/Mission/Chilliwack..........all extremely high crime rate cities. The entire NuWest to Hope corridor has a very high crime rate by Canadian standards and high by Western standards save the US.
Is it due to the drug trade we hear so much about? Or due to the high growth rate? Here in southern Alberta there isn't much crime publicized, anything that happens is quickly hushed up. A recent exception has been the apparent attempted nurder in Warner. Rifle or automatic weapon fire on a house in that town. RCMP isn't saying much nor are the residents.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 10:27 PM
be nice to the crackheads

^ It's, unfortunately, based on the marijuana trade out of BC. It pains me to say this, but weed has caused a lot of damage in this province. Once it became a multi-billion dollar a year industry, shit got bad. Couple that with a huge amount of pressure put on the Hell's Angels by local and provincial authorities which gave power to a bunch of smaller, more violent local gangs, and a falling share of the marijuana pie in the US, and you have what stands before you now: a violent power struggle between multiple gangs to get a ever-dwindling share of the North American marijuana trade.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 10:33 PM

For 2013:

Regina: 9; Saskatoon: 4.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:04 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

this article on the 30th: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vanc...868/story.html

Indicates:

Vancouver 6
Surrey 24
Edmonton 22
Calgary 19
Winnipeg 23
Toronto 18

A very low 1 / 100k for Vancouver and 0.7/100k for Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:28 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
It pains me to say this, but weed has caused a lot of damage in this province.
I think you mean to say, the prohibition of it has caused a lot of damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
this article on the 30th: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Vanc...868/story.html

Indicates:

Vancouver 6
Surrey 24
Edmonton 22
Calgary 19
Winnipeg 23
Toronto 18

A very low 1 / 100k for Vancouver and 0.7/100k for Toronto.
Toronto had 57 homicides in 2013, so that's not right. No idea if that's also the case for the other cities listed though.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^ It's, unfortunately, based on the marijuana trade out of BC. It pains me to say this, but weed has caused a lot of damage in this province. Once it became a multi-billion dollar a year industry, shit got bad. Couple that with a huge amount of pressure put on the Hell's Angels by local and provincial authorities which gave power to a bunch of smaller, more violent local gangs, and a falling share of the marijuana pie in the US, and you have what stands before you now: a violent power struggle between multiple gangs to get a ever-dwindling share of the North American marijuana trade.
Should just legalize the shit, tax the hell out of it like we do alcohol and tobacco, and use the revenue to pay for our health care. But then the DBs who always seem to be in charge would just f** it up and find trivial uses for the money anyways.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 11:55 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Well, of course. I'm just talking about the reason for the violence within the parameters of this pointless prohibition.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 4:44 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Toronto had 57 homicides in 2013, so that's not right. No idea if that's also the case for the other cities listed though.
Weird, like you said this article also says 57

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/20...r_in_2013.html

but this chart says 18

http://www.cbc.ca/toronto/features/homicide2013/

I wonder why the discrepancy.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Is it due to the drug trade we hear so much about? Or due to the high growth rate? Here in southern Alberta there isn't much crime publicized, anything that happens is quickly hushed up. A recent exception has been the apparent attempted nurder in Warner. Rifle or automatic weapon fire on a house in that town. RCMP isn't saying much nor are the residents.
Except for South Surrey/White Rock, the entire NuWest to Hope corridor on both sides of the river are low income even by BC standards. Poor social services and high Native populations don't help and of course the drug trade is huge.

I wouldn't say the media covers up crime but all news outlets in BC have a tendency to report the news but if it doesn't show things in a positive light it gets little continued coverage. Every media outlook is constantly telling everyone how BC is "the best place on earth" and when the facts don't back it up then they avoid the topic. Just look at the 70 murdered women in Vancouver which got very little press and even less attention from the city, province, or the population in general. That continues to this day with the Downtown Eastside and BC's very high poverty rate.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Anger/jealousy/greed/pettiness/insecurity/fear/pleasure.

Pick your poison. Every murder is unique.

Although if you really need to know, most murders in Canada are of three kinds:

1. Domestic: husbands killing wives, boyfriends killing girlfriends/girlfriends' lovers. Reverse the genders occasionally. Some is accidental ("I only meant to scare her") but most is just pure rage.

2. Alcohol/drug fueled: people do some pretty stupid things when drunk and high on certain drugs. See half of Winnipeg's murders in the 90s.

3. Crime: gangs and the drug trade, mostly. Killing for profit/status.

Add in a smattering of true psychopathy (read: batshit insane that you'll never REALLY understand), and that's pretty much it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada