HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 10:19 PM

New parkland on the lakefront at Fullerton Avenue: 5.8 acres. From Curbed:
Quote:

Some big changes are on tap for a quarter-mile stretch of lakefront near Fullerton Avenue. At last night's community meeting, officials from CDOT, the Chicago Park District, and the Army Corps of Engineers were on hand to unveil the Fullerton Shoreline Redevelopment Project. The plan, part of a larger effort by the three agencies to restore 9.2 miles of city shoreline, was developed to protect Lake Shore Drive, Fullerton Avenue, and the historic Theatre on the Lake from erosion and flooding hazards. It calls for the installation of 1,700 feet of new revetment that will connect to the existing stepped revetment just north of the Theatre on the Lake. The revetment, wheelchair-accessible, will gradually narrow from a width of 60 feet to 28 feet as it curves southward, ending its journey at the northernmost jetty.

The most exciting element of the plan: the replacement of a failed beach cell just south of Fullerton with 5.8-acres of new parkland (pictured above). Reused limestone boulders will placed at the southern tip of the park, which will feature a historic sculpture that once stood outside the Theatre on the Lake. Coursing through the center the park is the bustling Lakefront Trail, repositioned to ease congestion at one the busiest parts of the lakefront, notorious for its biker-pedestrian conflicts. In addition, secondary pedestrian trails will meander through the park, providing a much-needed escape valve from the busy Lakefront Trail. As for the timetable, the project has not yet gone out for bid, but work is expected to start in February 2014, with completion scheduled for December 2015. No word yet on the total cost.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
It's not out in the middle of nowhere if you are catering to the 1,000,000 or so people who live on the South Side... If that's who you are catering to, then you are nearly dead center at this location. South Shore, just to the East, is a massively dense area and is practically walking distance to this. The other trick is that I've heard they are securing massive amount of parking in one of the enormous vacant lots nearby. They are targeting the buildings across the street for redevelopment as well as the theater and plan to build a mini entertainment district.

The South Side will rise again.
Speaking of the South Side, L.A. Fitness to Expand to Douglas

The 40,000-square-foot fitness center at the northeast corner of 35th Street and Martin Luther King Jr. Drive will open in the spring. I hope the owner, Draper and Kramer, still pursues adding 7,000 housing units to the neighborhood.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...expand-douglas

Old Posted Aug 23, 2013, 10:52 PM
TL;DR

Yeah, I saw this.

It's not a good sign for the Lake Meadows megaproject - the first phase of that project was supposed to be a total replacement of the Lake Meadows Shopping Center, which would be mixed-use and include enough new apartments to relocate some tenants from existing buildings so they could be torn down/replaced in future phases.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

Anyway, I hope if they do redevelop the theatre, it can make a bid for some award shows. BET, NAACP, Soul Train, etc. Anything to start building up Chicago as a media capital.
I've driven by that building a number of times and I just don't see it being big enough to host an award show. It doesn't seem like it's big enough for that, at least not from the outside. What is its seating capacity?

Edit - I found this pic of its interior and it does look fairly small:

Balcony by MattLambros, on Flickr

Last edited by ChiTownCity; Aug 24, 2013 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 4:02 AM

capacity is 2250.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 7:21 AM

The place has been the center of some very notable performers and it's also on the landmarks list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Regal_Theater

People who have performed here:
Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, James Brown, Jerry Butler, Cab Calloway, Gene Chandler, Nat King Cole, Bill Cosby, Miles Davis, Sammy Davis Jr., Earth Wind & Fire, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, The Four Tops, Red Foxx, Aretha Franklin, Marvin Gaye, Dizzy Gillespie, Al Green, Herbie Hancock, Isaac Hayes, Billie Holliday, Whitney Houston, The Impressions, The Isley Brothers, Jackson 5, Etta James, Louis Jordan, BB King, Gladys Knight & the Pips, Ludacris, Curtis Mayfield, The Nicholas Brothers, Pearl Jam, Richard Pryor, Lou Rawls, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, The Temptations, Dionne Warwick, Dinah Washington, Jackie Wilson, Stevie Wonder, etc

That is an incredibly impressive lineup history.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 8:29 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post
I've driven by that building a number of times and I just don't see it being big enough to host an award show. It doesn't seem like it's big enough for that, at least not from the outside. What is its seating capacity?
There are now so many damn award shows, I'm sure we can find something that fits. I suggested Soul Train, which has been held at similar-sized venues in recent years, and the TV show began here in Chicago so it has a strong connection.

This is all kinda wishful thinking after reading The Third Coast, though... to the extent that America can tolerate a third media capital, Atlanta's already got a huge leg up, especially (but not exclusively) for the black community.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 1:09 PM
Show me the blueprints

I think some of the those oldest performers actually performed at the original Regal Theater.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 2:31 PM

New Bulls' practice facility, 15 S Wood, issued a building permit yesterday ($25 Million) about 1.5 months after the ground breaking.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 2:54 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
There are now so many damn award shows, I'm sure we can find something that fits. I suggested Soul Train, which has been held at similar-sized venues in recent years, and the TV show began here in Chicago so it has a strong connection.

This is all kinda wishful thinking after reading The Third Coast, though... to the extent that America can tolerate a third media capital, Atlanta's already got a huge leg up, especially (but not exclusively) for the black community.
I'm not sure why you've gotten so sour on this Chicago being a media center thing. Perhaps this book you are talking about has had an outsized influence. Forest for the trees I guess.

I really hope to see More investments such as this one for the south side, that part of town badly needs it that's for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 5:38 PM

Anyone know if the Clark park boathouse is open, I remember reading that they planned on opening August 3rd. I am curious how it looks

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I think some of the those oldest performers actually performed at the original Regal Theater.
I'm pretty sure you're right about that.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:15 PM

Wow, the price for the theater was only $99,000. Some real cool pics here. I really love the Middle Eastern/Moorish architecture of this thing. The place looks like a gem.

http://afterthefinalcurtain.net/2012...gal-theatre-2/

Speaking of Theatres. I wish some of these would be restored and re-opened so badly:
http://www.chicagomag.com/Chicago-Ma...Movie-Palaces/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2013, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownCity View Post

Edit - I found this pic of its interior and it does look fairly small
It's comparable in size to the Gateway/Copernicus Center, except with a bigger lobby and balcony, and overall much more elaborate. And, importantly, it has a large stage and ample support spaces. Many people may not realize there are several other large theaters still on the South Side, all of which are now churches (Beverly, Highland, Grove). At this sale price, I really thought the New Regal would wind up as a church too.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 3:06 AM

Fulton Market

Old tower going down 8/13

8/23 - down

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 4:48 AM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcpamba View Post
Anyone know what's going on at the Northwest corner of Wabash and 8th Street?
Columbia's doing a sort of park there as a temporary use until they can build their campus center. But being careful to not make it too nice, so they don't end up with a People's Park situation.

Jones College Prep High School opens Monday:

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 3:15 PM

^^nice. I was happy to see they got rid of the all white facade choice on Jones Prep. I think it appreciates the neighborhood.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2013, 8:05 PM
THAT Guy

Children's Memorial redevelopment

We haven't heard much news on this one lately. Ald. Smith's attempts to kill off economic development in her ward seem to be working:

Lincoln Ave. a Dead Zone Without Children's Memorial, Business Owners Say

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 1:15 AM
Urbane observer

St. James Catholic Church demolition

Sic transit gloria mundi.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2013, 2:38 AM

Sad to see it being demolished. Beautiful structure along with the rectory. A hold out from Chicago's past until it became very institutional around there with IIT and public housing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development