HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
Air travel within Canada is really quite ridiculous... why is it okay that a 45 minute flight from Saint John to Halifax costs $450?
It is ridiculous. Even with competing airlines and airports, a flight from St. John's to the west coast of Newfoundland costs nearly $900 return. I think it may have to do with low passenger volume and high overhead, even with aircraft that are essentially hatchbacks with wings.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
These flights started up last year I believe, with the intention of serving workers going to and from the mines in Labrador West and Schefferville. It is definitely a needed service.

PAL Info Sheet on Halifax-Charlo-Wabush-Schefferville Service
stared last october/november. It was a 3 month trial but i guess the company liked the numbers

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Eastern Provincial Airways (EPA) used to operate some really great and interesting routes in Atlantic Canada before they were bought out by Air Canada.
A couple of steps in-between: EPA was bought out by Canadian Pacific which in turn was bought by PWA becoming Canadi>n who were then taken over by Air Canada.

Quote:
For some reason I'm reminded of an old gauntlet flight offered by AC or EPA way back when. It started in Toronto and made 8 stops between there and St. John's. Toronto-Ottawa-Montreal-Saint John-Moncton-Halifax-Stephenville-Gander-St. John's I think it went.
Now that would have been fun and it was an Air Canada flight operated with Vanguard equipment. EPA had similar routes and a favorite was a Dart Herald routing: Moncton-Charlottetown-New Glasgow-Halifax-Sydney-Deer Lake-Gander-St. John's.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2013, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
A couple of steps in-between: EPA was bought out by Canadian Pacific which in turn was bought by PWA becoming Canadi>n who were then taken over by Air Canada.

Now that would have been fun and it was an Air Canada flight operated with Vanguard equipment. EPA had similar routes and a favorite was a Dart Herald routing: Moncton-Charlottetown-New Glasgow-Halifax-Sydney-Deer Lake-Gander-St. John's.
Ahh yes, thanks for the clarification on the EPA to AC, I knew there was a company in between but didn't have the slightest idea who it was. Just googled this for fun and found a TCA Vanguard taxing into the old terminal here, this goes way back. Notice how there is no fence separating the tarmac from the beach.

Source

Somebody should definitely bring back those flights, if nothing else, just for the fun of it, haha

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
It is ridiculous. Even with competing airlines and airports, a flight from St. John's to the west coast of Newfoundland costs nearly $900 return. I think it may have to do with low passenger volume and high overhead, even with aircraft that are essentially hatchbacks with wings.
A few years ago myself, my boss at the time, and another guy went on a day trip from St. John's to Deer Lake for a conference. Left St. John's at 6am, back again by 3pm. She paid for it all, but in total for the three of us was close to $2500. Insane. Especially considering the flight is only like 30 minutes long.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Somebody should definitely bring back those flights, if nothing else, just for the fun of it, haha
Thanks for posting that great shot at Stephenville.......here's the schedules for those flights:

TCA Vanguard Flight #701 w/b and #700 e/b

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/...d/tc62d-08.jpg

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/...d/tc62d-10.jpg

(interesting how CN's intercity schedules were included in the TCA timetable!)

Quote:
........Notice how there is no fence separating the tarmac from the beach
And only a low fence at Halifax

Last edited by ghYHZ; Feb 27, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for posting that great shot at Stephenville.......here's the schedules for those flights:

TCA Vanguard Flight #701 w/b and #700 e/b

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/...d/tc62d-08.jpg

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/...d/tc62d-10.jpg

(interesting how CN's intercity schedules were included in the TCA timetable!)

And only a low fence at Halifax

I love this stuff, makes me sad that I am too young to have actually seen things this way. I think it was a travel agent here, maybe, that had timetables like those framed and hung in the front entrance to their office. Really cool stuff, in my opinon anyway.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
........EPA had similar routes and a favorite was a Dart Herald routing: Moncton-Charlottetown-New Glasgow-Halifax-Sydney-Deer Lake-Gander-St. John's.
Here’s that EPA Schedule from May 1965. (A Dart Herald was a high-wing Turbo-Prop similar to today’s Dash-8)

And you didn’t have to go back to 1965 to get a good tour of the region’s airports......Air Bras d’Or had the Maritimes pretty well covered for a year or so in the mid ‘80s. (DHC-6 Twin Otter at Port Hawkesbury in Dec 1986)

Old Posted Mar 12, 2013, 5:56 PM

Quote:
The Georgian - Technical Stops Important to Airport

While Stephenville Airport Corporation remains focused on efforts to increase air access and capacity to serve people in western Newfoundland, the facility is also attentive to business relating to aircrafts making technical stops.
Since March 1, with inclement weather systems in other parts of the province, the airport also serviced five WestJet 737 passenger flights, with more than 600 passengers passing through Stephenville.
Ms. Martin is hoping to see more WestJet Airline landings in Stephenville in the future.
The Georgian

It goes on to say that military traffic accounted for 67% of airport revenue last year, so great to see that legacy is continuing! Seeing 3 C-130's on the ground together was awesome.

It's the last line that grabs my interest - are they actually speaking with WestJet again, or just hoping St. John's gets fogged in the other 65 days a year?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I read in the Globe & Mail today that Porter will likely announce shortly a deal to purchase as many as 30 of the new CS100 mid range jets from Bombardier.

It will be interesting to see what this might mean for expanded service to our region. In particular, a jet like this might be ideal for something like a St.John's-Moncton-Toronto run.....

From the sounds of it though, this aircraft might not be able to land at Billy Bishop unless the runway is extended at least 500 feet. I wonder if this means that Porter will be starting to fly out of Pearson?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 2:29 PM

If they do, the ticket prices would probably skyrocket.

Maybe they could make due with landing at another airport near Toronto instead? London would be a bit far but they'd probably love that sort of traffic.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
If they do, the ticket prices would probably skyrocket.

Maybe they could make due with landing at another airport near Toronto instead? London would be a bit far but they'd probably love that sort of traffic.
Hamilton could make sense

Old Posted Apr 9, 2013, 5:15 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Yeah, Hamilton seems like the logical alternative if Porter wants to keep its cost advantage on landing fees. Although considering the marketing power (and very tangible advantages) behind their Billy Bishop hub, I wouldn't count out them investing in a runway expansion to accommodate the Cseries jets.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 7:47 PM

Re: Porter Expansion / Jets

https://www.porterplans.com/

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 8:05 PM

I really hope they have a plan B if they can't increase the runway in Toronto. Hamilton would probably be their best bet; but then they're becoming Westjet 2.0, for better or for worse.

Should be interesting in any case.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
I really hope they have a plan B if they can't increase the runway in Toronto. Hamilton would probably be their best bet; but then they're becoming Westjet 2.0, for better or for worse.

Should be interesting in any case.
I think they were looking at expanding in Peterborough a few years ago if my memory is correct. They expanded their main runway not that long ago too, though it is admittedly more out of the way than all of Billy Bishop, Hamilton and Pearson. Using Peterborough kind of goes against the whole convenience factor that Porter prides itself on, so I think Hamilton would make more sense.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 8:32 PM
BANNED

Westjet tried to make Hamilton a type of alternate hub to Toronto.

It lasted for a few years and then faded away into nothing.

Porter is also considering Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg as expansion cities in the next year or two.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 9:59 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by magee_b View Post
Re: Porter Expansion / Jets

https://www.porterplans.com/
Here's Porter's proposed route map after fleet/service expansions, from that website:

The cartography's a little ambiguous, but I think I can make out a seasonal Toronto-Moncton direct (that already exists?), a new seasonal Toronto-Halifax direct, and what's either a new Toronto-St. John's direct or a Toronto-Moncton-St. John's route.

These expansions along with WestJet Encore would definitely improve competition and hopefully translate into lower airfares for Atlantic Canada as a whole.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post

The cartography's a little ambiguous, but I think I can make out a seasonal Toronto-Moncton direct (that already exists?), a new seasonal Toronto-Halifax direct, and what's either a new Toronto-St. John's direct or a Toronto-Moncton-St. John's route.
That would be a new Toronto-St. John's direct. The idea that Porter would only fly seasonal direct from Halifax-Toronto once they have jets makes little sense. There can be anywhere between 15-20 direct flights a day to Toronto from Halifax with other airlines (some planes as large as Boeing 767 with 200-260 seats approx.).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2013, 11:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
That would be a new Toronto-St. John's direct.
Are you absolutely sure about this, or just presuming.....

As I have said before, there is a Newfoundland ex-pat community here in Moncton and back when CanJet had a scheduled Moncton-St. John's flight, I am pretty sure it was successful.

Maybe Porter can be convinced to make a pit stop in Moncton along the way....

I like St. John's. If there was a direct airline connection between the two cities I would certainly be inclined to visit much more often.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces