NEW YORK | 570 Lexington Avenue | 640 FT / 195 M | 50 FLOORS | 1931
Lost in the canyons of Midtown Manhattan, the old General Electric Building stands as a monument to art deco architecture and New York zoning. A stepped, almost ziggurat base, culminating in an extraordinarily small floor-plated tower, capped by a whimsical crown. The detailing by this tower by Cross & Cross far exceeds that of their other huge tower, the City Farmers National Bank in Lower Manhattan, and the crown has almost the feel of a gothic cathedral.
please add more pictures to this thread, this is just what I have in my collection
This art deco fantasia looks like it originated on Flash Gordon's Planet Mongo.
This is arguably the best example of an art deco skyscraper in the world.
when i think of gotham, there are several buildings which come to my mind: ESB, chrysler, rockefeller center, ARB, woolworth, AIG, trump tower, ... and this one! a masterpiece of art deco.
I'll second that, but not just for New York! I want some of that here out west again.
The details... No matter what you think of modern architecture, you have to admit that this level of craftsmanship is just unheard of nowadays.
Mostly because of how expensive that kind of craftsmanship would be today. Beautiful towers like this one were built when labor was cheaper than materials. But nonetheless, we should definitely be going out of our way to save as many of these beautifully crafted buildings as we can because they are truly irreplaceable.
IIRC, that was Central Park West, or one of the apartment buildings near Central Park.
Here's what I hate about New York: There's so many highrises that gems like these tend to get lost among the crowd. Not that that's a bad thing per se, I just wish other cities had this problem.
IIRC, that was Central Park West, or one of the apartment buildings near Central Park.
Here's what I hate about New York: There's so many highrises that gems like these tend to get lost among the crowd. Not that that's a bad thing per se, I just wish other cities had this problem.
I wish other cities had some of these buildings that get lost in the crowd...could you imagine how awesome this building would look in downtown Portland, Oregon...actually I wonder if we could just ship the building over to Portland.