HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 2:34 PM

don's drag debut is tonight...

...so if you have nothing better to do with your time, and wish to be suitably scarred for life, join me and the Imperial Court of Arizona at Charlie's at 7th Ave & Camelback at 7pm for our annual Turn-about Show. We are raising money for charity. The poster for this event is here:

The whole point of Turn-about is the boys dress as girls and the girls dress as boys. I've never done drag before so this will be a new experience. My costume is Joan Jett, and I'm doing the Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This" techno remix song (but see note below - now changed). Note I don't perform or do numbers, I normally just take photos and help support the organization, so this will be bad on so many levels! Another court member is doing my make-up (as I have no flippin' idea how to do this) and my costume is all picked out.

I've been a member of the court for over a year now, and I'm a line title holder this year (Count) of the Court. More information can be found here about the court in general:

http://www.imperialcourtaz.org/

Info about the monarchs and line title holders here:

http://www.imperialcourtaz.org/Monar...les/Reign3.htm

Hope to see some of you there tonight!

Now I have to go practice walking in 5 inch-high heels (boots with a really nutty heel - how do women walk in these damn things?)...

--don

P.S. Disclaimer: You may need counseling afterwards. I am not responsible for any mental distress or other expenses you may incur from attending this show, and by showing up, you expressly "assume the risk" of the consequences. Your mileage may vary...etc. ad nauseum.

Last edited by Don B.; Jan 3, 2009 at 9:20 PM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 5:00 PM

That sounds like a ton of fun. I saw the posters when I was at Charlies about a week ago. I don't know if I can make it tonight, but I'll try.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2009, 9:18 PM

^ Cool.

In other news, I'm doing a diffeent song now (Charlie's, after all, is a country and western bar; and this has more lyrics than the original song):

Video Link

Egads, this is going to be bad. I have no rythym, can't sing, can't dance and I will be nervous as hell. Should be like a train wreck, I think.

--don

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 7:29 AM
Always running Late

looks hot...

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:55 PM

^ Not as hot as your avatar, methinks.

Anyway, it was a blast. I have newfound appreciation for what women go through every day. I am so glad I was born a male and not female. The makeup was the worst part, and my feet didn't like the bizarre angle they were forced into for three hours last night. We raised $500 for charity, not bad in these difficult economic circumstances.

--don

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 2:56 PM

So, how did it go other than the makeup and shoes?

Did you turn into a superstar the minute you got up on stage? I think in that situation some people find that another person comes out, I've always heard the whole drag thing is addicting(source: from Barbara Seville.)

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 3:20 PM

It seems like I did great, and I enjoyed it. In terms of "becoming a superstar" -- not really. I wasn't too nervous or anything, and I'm told I did really well. I had fun and made a lot of tips while performing, with people giving me not just the usual ones, but fives and tens as well. I had lots of compliments (some more fresh than others) and people were really intrigued by my look from the moment I set foot in the place. Every head in the bar turned to look at me (6'6" and 230 lbs) wherever I walked, with my leather miniskirt, bustier, blonde wig and knee-high boots with the 4" heels.

Do I really want to do it again? No - too much hassle, and I need help with it - I couldn't have done it on my own. But, there will be another turn-about show next year at this time, so it won't be my last time at the rodeo.

--don

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 7:20 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicelord John View Post
The way I see it, if you don't want to read it, don't look at it. No big deal. Just pass by. That would be common courtesy, but instead you whine and complain about it. Do you also complain when you read a billboard you don't like? or watch a TV show you don't like?

General rule in life, if you don't like something, don't look at it!
Good advice

Old Posted Jan 4, 2009, 11:09 PM

So did anyone make it out last night? I don't remember seeing anyone, but there was a pretty big crowd there.

I will not be posting any photos in this thread, but I will put some up in the post your photo thread in the skybar, which is the appropriate place for them.

--don

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 4:30 AM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
^ Not as hot as your avatar, methinks.

Anyway, it was a blast. I have newfound appreciation for what women go through every day. I am so glad I was born a male and not female. The makeup was the worst part, and my feet didn't like the bizarre angle they were forced into for three hours last night. We raised $500 for charity, not bad in these difficult economic circumstances.

--don
sweet... raising money for charity in a pair of heels... that's fucking precious...
good on ya!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 8:15 PM

I wish I could have been there to support you!! I love the annual Charlie's drag show! Unfortunately I had a pretty serious auto accident driving up to Salt Lake City to see my parents for the Christmas Holiday. I'm still at there house recovering and not sure when I'll be returning to AZ.

I'm sure you did well, so congratulations!

Old Posted Jan 5, 2009, 9:07 PM

When you see a thread with a title like this one, you just have to take some time to stop and leave a comment. I have never done drag...and have no intentions of every doing so, not because of a moral issue but more because of the pretty serious hair removal that would be required.

It looks like you had fun, and that is really what matters.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2009, 1:35 PM

We did have fun, and I won the title for "greatest transformation." Thank God I don't have to do this again for 12 months.

Our Closet Ball is coming up at the end of the month, on 1-31-09 at the Days Inn on Camelback. Starts at 7 pm. More info here:

http://www.imperialcourtaz.org/Reign...tion%20ICA.pdf

This is a fundraiser for the Imperial Court itself. We have about 20 contestants, so this should be a hoot.

--don

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest