HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 9:39 PM
You talkin' to me?

HRM to review request by Bedford developers

HRM to review request by Bedford developers

By AMY PUGSLEY FRASER City Hall Reporter
Thu. Feb 7 - 5:47 AM

Permitting a new residential development in Bedford before a highway interchange is built to enable easy access to it is unacceptable, a councillor says.

"When I first received this, I was shocked," Coun. Linda Mosher (Purcells Cove-Armdale) told councillors Tuesday night about a request to review the possibility of adding 2,000 building lots in Wentworth/Bedford South without a required Highway 102 connector.

"I don’t see why we should review this."

Despite her vocal opposition, council voted in favour of staff reviewing the situation that now prevents the 2,000 new units from going ahead without a proposed interchange linking Larry Uteck Boulevard to Highway 102.

The lots have been on hold because of a clause in the Bedford South Secondary Planning Strategy that says developers have to wait until the interchange is in place.

But city planners have received several requests to permit development of a 190-hectare area, planner Andrew Bone told council Tuesday night.

A councillor who regularly uses the Bedford Highway says traffic counts and capacity studies don’t always paint an accurate picture.

"You only have to travel on it to know that, for many of us, we feel it’s already reached capacity," said Coun. Debbie Hum (Rockingham-Wentworth).

"Critical to this (development) is the Larry Uteck interchange. We need to ensure that that moves forward."

A staff report written for Tuesday night’s council meeting said the proposed interchange is to be in place by January 2010. But another councillor noted that timelines aren’t carved in stone.

"What if the interchange is not built in time?" said Coun. Reg Rankin (Timberlea-Prospect).

Another asked if staff will also research the strain that new developments place on other infrastructure.

"What about the septic capacity at Mill Cove?" asked Coun. David Hendsbee (Preston-Lawrencetown-Chezzetcook), pointing out that schools and community centres also bear the brunt of an influx of new residents.

"The developers want to push through with their investment, and I can understand that," he said.

But all aspects of the development should be researched, he said.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2008, 10:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Who is responsible for building the road extension and the interchange? Are they extending Uteck Blvd right now or is it still nowhere near the 102?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2008, 4:50 AM

In all the months ive been on this forum i never noticed this thread before.

Just to answer "someone 123"'s question the interchange is cost shared between the developers (Armco and Clayton are the major ones) and the province.

According to the new Bedford West Plan the interchange is set to begin construction next summer. Larry Uteck is slowly climbing up the hill but its still not near the interchange. Its likely the Ravines will encounter the interchange location first since it is being expanded right now and is at the top of the hill.

The connector from the interchange is planned to connect to Kearney Lake Road as well.

The 2'000 household limit is also affecting Bedford West and Southgate Village. One of Bedford West's parcels cannot be built until it is under construction and Southgate Village cannot start construction until the interchange construction is started

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues