HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 9, 2008, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by androo3 View Post
Retractable?? Sure doesn't look like it has gone anywhere yet. Unless it lowers into the mechanical roof then we will always see this thing. Unless of course something raises to hide it. Please will this thing disapear!! or will someone shed some light on how they are going to do it?
The penthouse owner got screwed if it ain't going anywhere. Also doesn't this somewhat block the view cone if the building was only planned to be 197m??

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
The penthouse owner got screwed if it ain't going anywhere. Also doesn't this somewhat block the view cone if the building was only planned to be 197m??
Hence, one reason why it retracts.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2008, 6:09 PM

It retracts down into the roof... settle down guys.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It retracts down into the roof... settle down guys.
Can you give us more details, I don't know why everyone is so vague about this. How does it retract and where does it go? By the looks of things it would have to retract the beam then lower down into the mech roof and the remaining beam would go in to that steel box area on the south east corner...Basically a transformer!

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by androo3 View Post
Can you give us more details, I don't know why everyone is so vague about this. How does it retract and where does it go? By the looks of things it would have to retract the beam then lower down into the mech roof and the remaining beam would go in to that steel box area on the south east corner...Basically a transformer!
Haha I was thinking the same thing. I'm guessing it retracts down like a mega sword in power rangers.

As you can see here from a photo that Smooth previously posted that the crane is bolted very tightly.

He noted that there was an opening on the bottom where the crane will retract but I'm not buying it, because thats a 30 foot crane were talking about.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 10:57 PM

Picture from flickr by soulstealer

By thebartons.net

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:00 PM

isn't that just above the 28 million or so Penthouse, the swimming pool is on the other side maybe they can use the crane as a trampoline for that price.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2008, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques View Post
the swimming pool is on the other side maybe they can use the crane as a trampoline for that price.
i was thinking it'd make a pretty sweet diving board

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 12:59 AM

here;s a great shot by hurgleburgle on flickr
http://flickr.com/photos/rtrska/2752116903/

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 1:33 AM

Shangri-La Hotel Vancouver to Open 24 January 2009

Monday, 11 August 2008

The Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver has been “topped off” at 61 storeys or 197 metres (647 feet). The July topping-off coincides with the six-month countdown to the January 24, 2009 opening for the luxury hotel, which will be the first North American property for Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts.

The 119-room Shangri-La Hotel, Vancouver will occupy the first 15 floors of the landmark building, a multi-purpose complex built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) silver green building standards, incorporating innovative residential living, high-end retail shopping, creative restaurants and an outside public art space curated by the Vancouver Art Gallery.

Shangri-La “Tigers”, a group of young hoteliers trained at Shangri-La properties throughout Asia, will lead and train the hotel’s staff to deliver Shangri-La’s style of service, from welcome tea awaiting guests upon arrival to wireless in-room check-in.

Guestrooms and bathrooms – averaging 55 square metres (592 square feet) and 14 square metres (150 square feet) respectively – will be among the largest in Canada, and nearly half the guestrooms will have balconies. The in-room entertainment system will offer state-of-the-art digital technology presented on 40-inch Sony LCD flat screen televisions.

CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La, the group’s signature spa brand, also will make its North American debut. The 650-square-metre (7,000-square-foot) spa will feature five individual suites and one couple’s suite, all with a fireplace and private bath, shower, changing and vanity area. CHI offers a range of therapies based on the ancient healing traditions, philosophies and rituals of China and the Himalayas. The hotel will also have a 1,524-square-metre (5,000-square-foot) fitness center with a yoga and Pilates studio and an outdoor heated pool.

A “Modern Pacific” dining destination on the third floor will provide four distinct experiences – a casual dining bistro, a covered outdoor terrace, a bar and lounge, and a fine dining area with two private rooms. Additionally, there will be a lobby lounge with two-storey floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking Georgia Street and the art galleria.

Meeting venues will include three rooms accommodating up to 130 people, a canopied outdoor terrace, The Library, and the 42-seat Blue Moon theatre.

The hotel is being jointly developed by Vancouver-based Peterson Investment Group and Westbank Projects Corp. Together, Westbank and Peterson Group have developed or have under construction more than $5 billion in projects representing approximately 1.39 million square metres (15 million square feet) of residential, retail, office and mixed-use projects. Their notable Vancouver icons include Living Shangri-La, Shaw Tower and adjoining estates and the development of the legendary Woodward’s property.

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/news08...ancouver.shtml

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:55 AM

For the higher end rooms I think you can expect something like this:

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
For the higher end rooms I think you can expect something like this:
Wow the tv is at such an awkward angle. How inconvenient

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 4:39 PM

Hopefully they start accepting reservations soon. I want to be there opening night

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:08 PM

if someone is filtering the discussion on this page, could they please stop framing the dicussion towards their point of view.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 6:09 PM

Actually that was a nice job of cleaning up G'job anonymous super powerful one.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yume-sama View Post
Actually that was a nice job of cleaning up G'job anonymous super powerful one.

Well no, its not a good thing to be doing on a discussion forum. This is a place to recieve different ideas in order to create a better end-product. If this continues, I will have no reason to continue supporting this forum. It is important to have informed people participating, even if it may offend those with less experience in the matter who have a different point of view.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:41 PM

Well what was deleted was NW2K making a inane comment and me unnecesarily calling him a moron for it... so yeah it was probably justified that it was deleted.... not that I have changed my opinoin on the matter however.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:46 PM

Well that is one issue that I did not see on the board, but I did post a comment regarding the most recent photo that was posted concerning the building height which had been deleted.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 7:53 PM

Well that may have been a mistake... unless it was a comment about the floor count... that is still a bit of a touchy subject around these parts.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc85 View Post
Well that is one issue that I did not see on the board, but I did post a comment regarding the most recent photo that was posted concerning the building height which had been deleted.
i think it was deleted cuz NW2K made a comment on that too

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver