HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 8:08 AM
King of the Queen

Charlotte Construction Photos!

a few days late but here are some good updates on uptown construction projects. most important updates include photos of the park, epicenter, and the demolition work at the power building.

photos start off in first ward near the traffic circle at 9th and davidson. here is a photo of the recently completed courtside blending in with the skyline.

the bland backside to courtside. at the bottom you can see construction on court6 [also by blvd centro]

construction shot of court6 from davidson street.

another shot of court6 from 6th and davidson

looking up at courtside.

the corner and 'plaza' or large sidewalk on caldwell street in front of courtside.

caldwell at 6th streets

the next few photos in the series [minus the construction photos] display just how unpedestrian friendly caldwell street is. it serves the city well as a one way 'workhorse' street, but not as anything that promotes any sort of walking.

a shot towards the bell south building. take note of the narrow sidewalks which have large telephone polls take up more of the width.

a large intersection with 5th and caldwell. there is two way traffic on this section as brevard is diverted around the arena. there are large sidewalks to walk on.....but no stores for people to walk to!

a photo of the hearst tower

a photo down outbound 6th street

a photo towards outbound caldwell street

a photo of the sign in front of the first arena out parcel to be developed. concourse will be built here.

concourse will be located on the grassy area in the right of this photo

a photo down caldwell street. you can see the park and the hampton inn condo tower under construction.

the crane to avenue between corporate and 201 south.

the park as seen from caldwell

the park

a shot up 3rd street

the park from 3rd and caldwell

look out towards inbound caldwell traffic

hampton inn condo tower

the large interchange at caldwell/brevard with south blvd and I-277. this will be reconstructed soon to eliminate the cloverleaf design that is currently in place.

a shot down stonewall.

shot towards inbound caldwell traffic. there is the 'single-file' sidewalk in the photo.

the large 277 interchange again

brevard at 277 and stonewall.5 lanes with one going to left to stonewall, two to south blvd, one to 277 and the other turning right onto stonewall. one WIDE street with virtually NO street activity. there is the back of the convention center, the bell south office building and the united way. beyond that the street is VOID of any street activity. five lanes for cars.

here's a photo of the signs directing traffic.

the park from 3rd street

old brick with the new

a photo of a parking lot around the arena near 3rd with brevard and caldwell

a photo of the new light rail line under construction in uptown

they might as well have this sign posted around most parts of uptown! it is posted out of the parking garage exit on 3rd street

the shops at two wachovia which are [in]conveniently located underground and with street access only by entering through two doors. no street presence at all. in fact, the only street presence that entire block has is an ATM wachovia just built. totally a waste of street space. the amount of pedestrian activity really does show on this side of town.

a vacant street. shops are inside!

a pedestrian walkway between BB&T Center and Two Wachovia

the bank of america corporate center garage boarded up for Ritz construction.

site prep at the Ritz and BofA 32 site

part of the steel structure going up on epicenter at college and trade.

one wachovia and the crane to epicenter

the steel structure being erected.

trademark

trademark

trademark

a sea of parking in 3rd ward

more parking along 3rd street

trademark

demolition work for the novare site in third ward

a skyline shot with a dump truck and trademark

demolition work on the power building along mint street for the novare site in third ward

the power building along 1st street

the power building at 1st and church streets

trademark and the Carillon Tower

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 8:11 AM
them bones

What's [bor]_____[/bor]? You forgot the [img] part...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 9:43 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Impressive!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 2:53 PM
Who's Your Uncle??

Are there any PEOPLE in Charlotte??

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 4:42 PM
Thread Killa'

Nope. We just keep building hoping one day someone will move here.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:24 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Nice comprehensive photo thread of a city I haven't seen much of. No people is an understatement, wow. Nice shots, tho.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 5:40 PM
Endless Moments...

Nice shots...

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:05 PM
Technoaddict

Every time i have gone into downtown charlotte there are no pedestrians. And there are so many parking lots down there. Hopefully all those parking lots will eventually become buildings and the sidewalks will be filled with people but that will be like 50 years from now.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 6:21 PM
╬╬╬╬╬╬╬╬

there is not much traffic

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:07 PM
Future God

Bravo Charlotte, you've got a long way to go, but you know what you're doing and how to do it. Good stuff.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:39 PM
Here we stAy

Great tour as usual, Style. Good thing all those condo projects are coming, cause Charlotte needs all the pedestrians it can get.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:41 PM
Thread Killa'

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans14 View Post
Every time i have gone into downtown charlotte there are no pedestrians. And there are so many parking lots down there. Hopefully all those parking lots will eventually become buildings and the sidewalks will be filled with people but that will be like 50 years from now.
Actually, I have to call you on that. The sea of parking that Style pictures here will become 3rd Ward park and the Knights baseball stadium, and it will be surrounded with Novare's condo towers. ImaginOn and the Arena have taken a huge bite out of the surface lots on that side.

Not saying that Charlotte won't have any surface lots left, but the only huge area of surface parking left in 5 years will be Levine's land in 1st Ward. Lord only knows when that will be developed, although the Master Plan has been in place for some time and he'll be speaking soon on development plans.

Oh, and by the way, if you haven't seen any pedistrians, spend some time at the Gateway Center, along Trade, along Tryon, or College.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:46 PM
Thread Killa'

Oh, and if anyone is really curious, go check out Dubone's map of the 88 proposed or under construction projects currently going on in downtown.

You can find it here.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 7:49 PM
Born and raised

With all those condos going up it'll bring Charlotte that much wanted pedestrian friendly urban core, it may take a few years but you're on the right track. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 9:14 PM
Who's Your Uncle??

Its not as easy as saying Condo Towers = Pedestrians galore!!! Look at Miami....they have a shit ton of Condo towers and people living there, but the way the towers are designed is much like a South American city.

You drive into your private garage...take an elevator up to your unit, and never have to step foot outside. This is why downtown Miami has tons of residents and one of the worst street lives in America.

I haven't looked into how the Charlotte bldgs have been designed or how they're coming along, but hopefully they do not follow in Miami's footsteps otherwise you will not see lively streets anytime soon.

P.S. I didn't mean to start a firestorm with my original comment...simply observing the fact that there were NO people in your shots (some photographers like zero people...others a lot....other inbetween, I'm inbetween).

Old Posted Dec 29, 2006, 10:15 PM
Red October standing by

nice pics and tour. yay new money infill!!! Chinese city in the south!!! Trademark looks cool now, reminds me of Lloyd's wierd faux-mechanical tower in London...they should leave it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojans14 View Post
go to 4th Ward, by Fox and Hound, walk around the Square (that's what it's called, w/the 4 statues right? anyway, that's the thing) on a weekday...hell, on a sunday afternoon when it's not too cold (it was rainy when i did it on a summer day and there were plenty of pedestrians.) yeah, there are pedestrians in "Uptown" Charlotte...besides me and whoever i've dragged along for the stroll. as one of my friends said, "This doesn't feel like a sunday afternoon, we're downtown in a bar." this is also the same friend who said Uptown looks like downtown Aiken but with a few skyscrapers. ah Charlotte, my love/hate city.

oh, and Style isn't a people-person photographer. and photographing people in Uptown is really tricky, available light is low. you almost need a flash. a lot also seem camera shy (kind of like Atlanta.)

Two years and 3 or 4 trips worth of Charlotte pics by me...including other pedestrians

photo thread from my last Charlotte trip

here's an example from sunday this summer...before the rain hit

-

-fflint

Last edited by LSyd; Dec 29, 2006 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 12:37 AM
BANNED

If they really want strong pedestrian activity, they need to ensure there's continuous retail on at least some streets. The odd store and restaurant here and there in the bottom corner of a condo tower doesn't do much.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 2:25 AM
Thread Killa'

That is indeed the next piece of the puzzle. Depending upon which numbers you listen to, Charlotte has between 9,000 to 12,000 people living downtown now, with thousands more on the way. We've got plenty of restuarants and bars downtown, several museums (with more on the way), sports stadiums, and office space.

What's missing is real, connected retail. The majority of it now (as Style showed) is either inside away from the street or (worse) part of the Overstreet system. That usually closes after business hours.

Hopefully it's up next.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 3:08 AM
King of the Queen

i'm not a people photographer. if you go through my site and look at most of the photos you will notice that there are hardly any people. for some reason i dont like to paint that sort of picture of a city. its just not what i do. hell, even my photos of DC are rather absent of people (in the georgetown area). that's just me.

also - i'd have to 2nd what LsYd said about taking photos with the light. with how uptown is situated (not true N/S), the light in the winter comes in and gets reflected off clouds, buildings, and the ozone at odd angles which can easily mess up a photo. that is, unless you like a black in white series with a REALLY white sky.

as for the sea of parking - give it three years and almost none of the parking in 3rd ward will be found on a surface lot. that's quick time to turn around 6+ blocks of pure parking. quite astonishing to me.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2006, 4:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHillJames View Post
Oh, and if anyone is really curious, go check out Dubone's map of the 88 proposed or under construction projects currently going on in downtown.

You can find it here.
Nice photos. The amount of development taking place looks to be about the same as most mid-sized cities.

I have a few questions.

1. If that list is for uptown Charlotte, then why are the Target - Home Depot, Best Buy and some of the other projects listed? These projects are hardly uptown Charlotte. When I think of a downtown Target location, I think of the one in downtown Minneapolis.

2. Are taxpayers going to pay for a minor league baseball stadium?

3. Uptown Charlotte should be over 15,000 people by the end of this decade. Do those of you in Charlotte think the uptown area will finally see some descent shopping or will it continue to go the way of SouthPark?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos