HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jan 12, 2022, 3:39 PM

I drive by this site almost every day on the way to work, it'll be a nice addition for sure. I think the road infrastructure might hold this area back from really taking off as a thriving urban hub. There are just so many super wide, high traffic/ high speeding streets. The city has been doing some traffic calming projects with safer ped crossings and more bike lanes in the general area so hopefully that'll help. But it has a ways to go to become an inviting place to walk or just hang out.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2022, 2:33 AM

This could turn out interesting...or just an update to a boring strip mall.

https://montavilla.net/2022/02/01/ma...estment-group/

Quote:
Mall 205 Sells to Investment Group

Last month, Gerrity Group sold Mall 205 at 10100 SE Washington Street to Rhino Investments Group. The Business Tribune reported on the $43.2 million sale, noting the new owners will consider redevelopment opportunities for the property. Target Cooperation maintains its ownership of the attached Target store building and the adjacent parking lot.
...(continues)

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 8:00 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
This could turn out interesting...or just an update to a boring strip mall.

https://montavilla.net/2022/02/01/ma...estment-group/

...(continues)
I don't imagine we would see much of a change since I doubt Target or Home Depot would go away, or any of the restaurants there. I wouldn't be surprised to see the mall portion torn down for a big residential development.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2022, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I don't imagine we would see much of a change since I doubt Target or Home Depot would go away, or any of the restaurants there. I wouldn't be surprised to see the mall portion torn down for a big residential development.
From what I'm seeing on Portland Maps it does looks like all the properties from SE 96th to SE 102nd along Washington are all the same owner. They also apparently own the Home Depot lot. There are small tracks of land owned on the backside of the lot, mostly by Adventist, and then the giant Target piece that they don't control, but that's about it for the main mall site.

I don't doubt that they'll probably keep the rent paying tenants, but it does give them flexibility to design a master plan as it is a large chunk of property. I have no idea if that is their intention, but I could see this area and Gateway growing together to form a more urban east of 205.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 12:30 AM

This could be a big step for the Gateway/Mall 205 area...

... in the next 5-10 years. That mall could be down before Lloyd Center. The race is on. High density residential (5-10 stories, 5 stories on S side please) makes the most sense to me along with city investments in a grid traffic pattern (maybe a central park/gathering place). Lots of bike paths and wide sidewalks please. Maybe good E/W corridor from MAX stop to gathering area at the center and then S/SW to hospital. Of course, first floor commerical would be a given in my mind.

The two stores might remain as super blocks or they find another spots close by (82nd, 122nd). Not a Target/HD shopper anyway so it's no loss to me if they close (HD is near the airport and near Clackamas TC I think.).

Having the hospital/support offices next door is a huge driver for this property going forward. Having workers next door will be too hard to resist for the developers. Affordable housing and condos please!

Cheers!
ESV

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideView View Post
... in the next 5-10 years. That mall could be down before Lloyd Center. The race is on. High density residential (5-10 stories, 5 stories on S side please) makes the most sense to me along with city investments in a grid traffic pattern (maybe a central park/gathering place). Lots of bike paths and wide sidewalks please. Maybe good E/W corridor from MAX stop to gathering area at the center and then S/SW to hospital. Of course, first floor commerical would be a given in my mind.

The two stores might remain as super blocks or they find another spots close by (82nd, 122nd). Not a Target/HD shopper anyway so it's no loss to me if they close (HD is near the airport and near Clackamas TC I think.).

Having the hospital/support offices next door is a huge driver for this property going forward. Having workers next door will be too hard to resist for the developers. Affordable housing and condos please!

Cheers!
ESV
nailed it.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 7:24 PM

Definitely doesn't sound like anything too exciting is going to happen at Mall 205 in the future:

Quote:
Starting This Week, Mall 205 Won’t Be a Mall. Its Tenants Hope for a Second Chance at Lloyd Center.

Portland’s last trick shop and longest-running magic show is packing its bags to journey from one mall to another.

Mark Benthimer can spot a disappearing act.

The owner of All-American Magic has endured no end of developer smoke and misdirection to sustain Portland’s last trick shop and longest-running magic show. He’d brought both to Mall 205 in 2011, after discovering that his store and stage at Jantzen Beach Super Center were scheduled for imminent demolition alongside the rest of the legendary entertainment hub.

At the start of this year, Rhino Investment Group purchased the quietly-renamed Marketplace 205 for $43 million while explaining the recent departure of Bed Bath & Beyond lent the larger property “an exciting repositioning opportunity.” Benthimer reached out to one of the owners with questions about the mall’s future.

“The next morning,” he laughs, “there’s an email saying I had two weeks to leave.”

Benthimer and the handful of small local busineses remaining were eventually given until the end of March to relocate.
...continues at Willamette Week.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Mar 28, 2022, 8:03 PM
BANNED

So why did they buy the mall?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
So why did they buy the mall?
Read the story. Rumor is that they leased the space to Burlington Coat Factory and Hobby Lobby. They're getting their return.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 2:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Read the story. Rumor is that they leased the space to Burlington Coat Factory and Hobby Lobby. They're getting their return.
Yea I saw that part I was just wondering is that still a good investment

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Yea I saw that part I was just wondering is that still a good investment
I was hoping with this investment the company might pivot to more urban development. However, pretty much their entire portfolio is strip malls if you check out their website. I'm sure they know what they are doing...unfortunately.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:05 PM

In the long term this probably is a redevelopment site, but right now, with a) the Target and Home Depot seemingly doing fine and b) the market for development in East Portland being what it is, I'm not surprised that they're not doing something bigger.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 5:29 PM

Notice of a Type II Proposal for TimberView (previously the Glisan Tower) at 9919 NE Glisan St

Old Posted Jan 28, 2023, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Large Mixed-use Development on NE 102nd

Update (January 27th, 2023): In January, crews began clearing the overgrown fields of a new housing development at 811 NE 102nd Avenue. Wood chippers mulched felled trees while fence repair staff replaced broken barriers around the construction site. Recently, demolition crews removed an old dental clinic at 887 NE 102nd Avenue, the last remaining structure on the vast property.

The site will support a 200-unit mixed-use development. Six buildings along NE 102nd and NE Pacific Avenues will contain approximately 10,549 square feet of commercial space and 11,280 square feet of residential amenity area on the ground floors. Residential units are planned on the two floors above. The developer intends to include twelve multi-dwelling residential structures inside the housing complex accessed through a private road. Those buildings will provide one to three-bedroom units. All buildings will be three stories tall. The facility will provide 145 surface parking spaces in the site’s interior.
Continued: https://montavilla.net/2023/01/27/la...t-on-ne-102nd/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2023, 9:20 AM
BANNED

David Douglas school district owns the huge lot behind this land, I bet they’re like “shucks now we really look like we aren’t doing shit with our property”

Old Posted Jan 30, 2023, 5:02 PM

These lots are eyesores, this is welcome development.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2023, 2:01 AM

10451 E Burnside. Traditions at Hazelwood apartments are almost done. 211 units.

9919 NE Glistan. Timberview. 8-story, mass timber building with 115 units.

Old Posted Today, 6:05 PM

TimberView apartments topped out. 105 affordable units in an 8-story mass timber building. Looks great IMO

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland