HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
It's a recent term. I didn't know it was used in Canada, as it was coined in France in the past 10 years or so (you would never have heard this terms in the 2000s). But then again it shows Francophones in Canada keep in touch with what's going on in Francophone Europe.

It can mean that something is crazy and insane in a bad way. Our stupid environment minister recently declared on the French national public radio (which has become a hard-left media over time, think Fox News but the left and radio version of it), after the EU Commission said glyphosate (Roundup) was not dangerous to humans and could continue to be sold in the EU, that it was "une dinguerie" to continue allowing this "pesticide" (sic! apparently the guy doesn't even know the difference between a pesticide and a herbicide, and he's environment minister with a huge portfolio including energy and roads). In his mouth, that was meant to shock and to say how awful and crazy it was.

BUT the term is more often used by people to mean "wow, it's insane" in a positive way, as in "wow, it's insane, I wanna try it". As in "le dernier iPhone c'est juste une dinguerie !", where it means the last iPhone is just too good to be believed. This is probably how the word was used here (at least that's how Acajack and I understood it; in a negative way it's usually followed by something, an explainer, whereas "dinguerie" alone without any further explanation is usually meant positively).

Languages!

Video Link

(only the French forumers will understand this )
That’s a good way to explain it. Can also be used interchangeably with singerie
In acadian french would be follerie ( but slightly different meaning )

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Meh, dinguerie is yet another slang going overused and outdated.
Slangs are funny when they're brand new and kind of confidential, then they turn out annoying when they're too much in everybody's mouth trying to sound trendy.
It is something exclusive and more of a teenage thing, so to speak. So grownups would rather speak correct French.

What's the purpose of a slang? It is not to be understood by regular people. That's why drug dealing, for instance, has been the source of tons of slangs for decades.
It is usually a short-lived type of language. Once everybody knows and uses it, it has lost its basic purpose.
Though I am indeed a teenager so it’s quite age appropriate.
Also some slangs or expressions become so well known they end up just becoming part of the language. For example, j’ai la dalle ( which means j’ai faim ) that has been in vulgar french for now 100 years.
Don’t be hating on slang like that !
https://youtu.be/mq46nSgLf6o?feature=shared

Old Posted Sep 19, 2024, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMonctonEnjoyr View Post
For example, j’ai la dalle ( which means j’ai faim ) that has been in vulgar french for now 100 years.
And now the more recent "dalleux" ("c'est un dalleux"), coined in the ethnic banlieues, which is a word I greatly dislike.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMonctonEnjoyr View Post
Also some slangs or expressions become so well known they end up just becoming part of the language. For example, j’ai la dalle ( which means j’ai faim ) that has been in vulgar french for now 100 years.
Sure, some slang terms even officially end up accepted in the regular language by the Académie Française because they think they make sense.
E.g. kiffe and verb kiffer are now official French words.

I didn't say I hated slang (who cares anyway?), but that it tended to be boring when teens overuse it.
Besides, a lot of kids over here lack vocabulary. I once read about a sociological study in a paper that showed that in worst cases, some knew only 300 words. That's not enough for them to express themselves on a daily basis in regular society.
You'll admit that it's a serious issue.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 4:06 PM

Unless the children were under age five or not native speakers, I'd be sceptical about a 300 word vocabulary.

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Sep 20, 2024 at 4:21 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Unless the children were under age five or not native speakers, I'd be sceptical about a 300 word vocabulary.
Well, I wasn't so surprised...

If I recall correctly, the subject of the study was kids in secondary education, aged 10 to 18.

Obviously, 300 words would be the most extreme, disastrous case with this typical profile:
- born to immigrants whose 1st language isn't French;
- living in ghettos of impoverished suburbs run by the French left wing;
- surrounded by drug cartels and/or hardcore religious Muslims;
- skipping school to get involved in drug dealing, making twice the money of their working parents as of age 12.

Thankfully, that type of profile isn't the most frequent, but it is widespread enough over impoverished suburban areas to be a concern.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If you test a 4 year old and they only have a 300 word vocabulary they almost certainly have serious cognitive issues.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 5:52 PM

So you guys are speech therapists or something?
I'll reckon I don't have that kind of expertise.

Forget the 300 figure that might be an exaggeration, though I'm almost sure it was in the paper I read a long time ago. And it was no dumb tabloid.
It only means that the education system is dangerously failing over rough areas that impoverished immigrants live in.
That's no latest news, eh.

I couldn't tell about the cognitive abilities of a little kid, but there's something sure: they must quickly understand that they want easy money.
Hence the thriving drug cartels in France.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 6:26 PM

Quote:
So you guys are speech therapists or something?
I'll reckon I don't have that kind of expertise.

Forget the 300 figure that might be an exaggeration, though I'm almost sure it was in the paper I read a long time ago. And it was no dumb tabloid.
It only means that the education system is dangerously failing over rough areas that impoverished immigrants live in.
That's no latest news, eh.

I couldn't tell about the cognitive abilities of a little kid, but there's something sure: they must quickly understand that they want easy money.
Hence the thriving drug cartels in France.
Fair enough and see your point. The Finnish system of highly educated and paid daycare workers is proven to get immigrants up to native level vocabularies by the time they start school setting them up for sucess. Another factor is there is a tipping point of too many immigrants. France saw this by concentrating them in specific areas.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 8:19 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I'm sure it's an urban legend but I've heard francophones say that basic functional vocabulary in English is 2000 words, whereas in French it's 5000!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 8:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Fair enough and see your point. The Finnish system of highly educated and paid daycare workers is proven to get immigrants up to native level vocabularies by the time they start school setting them up for sucess. Another factor is there is a tipping point of too many immigrants. France saw this by concentrating them in specific areas.
You're not really allowed to say this in 2024 but it's practical pedagogical reality. Kids who are non-speakers will get up to speed more quickly and even thrive if they're not surrounded by speakers of their own language they can use as a crutch to not learn the new one.

Basic logic.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2024, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I'm sure it's an urban legend but I've heard francophones say that basic functional vocabulary in English is 2000 words, whereas in French it's 5000!
Everyone claims that about their native language. Yes you will know more words in your native language feel fell the other lacks nuance.

English certainly has a much larger overall vocabularly by a huge margin but a bunch of unknown words in a dictionary doesn't mean much.

Objectively one issue in English is the use of both basic romance and germanic words for the same thing that require knowing both.

Which langauge shows nuance better at different education levels is a different debate.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:15 AM

Quote:
English certainly has a much larger overall vocabularly by a huge margin but a bunch of unknown words in a dictionary doesn't mean much.

Objectively one issue in English is the use of both basic romance and germanic words for the same thing that require knowing both.
Moreover, you have to check on the proper term and spelling depending on who you're talking to, so they don't feel offended.

This guy is British. It will be that spelling.
This dude is American, so it will be that one proper word.
Canadians want to stick to their British thing, though they're confused by their American neighbors.
The Australian accent is somewhat "out there"...

We don't have so much problem with French. I mean, Québecois have an accent (or the French may have several), but at least, vocabulary is based on a common standard that we all tend to comply with.
Frankly, it makes it easier.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Another factor is there is a tipping point of too many immigrants. France saw this by concentrating them in specific areas.
France did not "concentrate" them in specific areas (that old cliché). It's just for a variety of reasons (that were never part of a specific plan or policy) they ended up concentrated in specific areas.

These reasons include:
- too many fragmented municipalities (because France refuses municipality mergers unlike the rest of Europe, so where London has only 33 boroughs, Paris over the same urban territory has no less than... 244 independent municipalities! ), with many of these small municipalities being taken over by hard-left parties (whereas in larger London boroughs, which mix up more diverse populations over larger territories, it's hard for non-mainstream parties to win power), and these hard-left mayors (members of the French Communist Party in general) have deliberate policies of building more than 50% of social housing (i.e. more than 50% of dwellings in the entire municipality are social housing) to attract impoverished and working-class populations who will vote for them and keep them in power. More recently those hard-left mayors have pandered to the Islamists and what Québec would call the "ethnic vote".

- a glut of badly built social housing built cheaply in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s on the outskirts of almost all French cities when the French population was booming and lots of new housing was needed. Native French people have quickly left these social housing areas (called "cités" in France, in the US they would be called "projects") because the buildings have decayed, and the native White population has been replaced by mostly African populations (Blacks and Arabs). It's a natural process, not something that the authorities have ever devised or implemented.

- the fact that France's immigration is predominantly coming from Africa since the 1970s, whereas immigration in Germany or the UK was until recently coming predominantly from Europe, and people with a very different culture are harder to integrate than Europeans.

All of these combined lead to the disastrous situation of many French suburbs. It could only be improved if a- we massively merged our urban municipalities to root out extremist parties and have our large cities ruled by mainstream, centrist parties, and b- if we stopped African immigration (which the left and even the center in France consider "fascist" or "far-right"). The new French government to be announced before Monday should have a right-wing conservative as the new minister of the Interior, a guy who would be considered just an average Conservative in Canada or the UK, or an average Christian-Democrat in Germany, but here the left-wing media and parties, and even some centrists, are already saying that we allow a "hard-right" "arch-conservative" guy "whose values we don't share" to enter the government, as if he was some sort of Steve Bannon extremist.

This is France. Far too lax, far too left-wing, as usual. Here QS would be considered just mainstream left, the PQ already rightwing, and Legault probably super right-wing and "ultralibéral" (which is a great insult in French politics, think Thatcher as the quintessential "ultralibéral").

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 3:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Moreover, you have to check on the proper term and spelling depending on who you're talking to, so they don't feel offended.

This guy is British. It will be that spelling.
This dude is American, so it will be that one proper word.
Canadians want to stick to their British thing, though they're confused by their American neighbors.
The Australian accent is somewhat "out there"...

We don't have so much problem with French. I mean, Québecois have an accent (or the French may have several), but at least, vocabulary is based on a common standard that we all tend to comply with.
Frankly, it makes it easier.
Thanks for your snark, but we have our own thing going.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_English

And like it or not, so too do the French Canadians.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acadian_French

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Meh, dinguerie is yet another slang going overused and outdated.
Slangs are funny when they're brand new and kind of confidential, then they turn out annoying when they're too much in everybody's mouth trying to sound trendy.
It is something exclusive and more of a teenage thing, so to speak. So grownups would rather speak correct French.

What's the purpose of a slang? It is not to be understood by regular people. That's why drug dealing, for instance, has been the source of tons of slangs for decades.
It is usually a short-lived type of language. Once everybody knows and uses it, it has lost its basic purpose.
How can it be outdated if it's commonly being used as slang? By definition, that would mean it isn't outdated. It's not dissimilar to how saying "That's wild" has seen an uptick in usage, instead of " That's "crazy" or "insane" in English in the past 5-10 years, even though it's not a new word.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:54 PM

Seen this today in Le Figaro (because of Macron's visit to Canada). The two grumpy New Brunswickian forumers here are not going to like this...

Quote:
« Je suis francofier (...) L'anglais est un virus (..) dès que nous sortons, nous y sommes confrontés », a raconté Martin Théberge, président de la Société nationale de l'Acadie, né à Maisons-Alfort près de Paris et d'origine béninoise.

https://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/au...reuse-20240926
That's the problem with letting in tons of immigrants. You end up with some immigrants being more virulent in terms of language issues than even the Québécois sovereignists.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Brisavoine View Post
Seen this today in Le Figaro (because of Macron's visit to Canada). The two grumpy New Brunswickian forumers here are not going to like this...

That's the problem with letting in tons of immigrants. You end up with some immigrants being more virulent in terms of language issues than even the Québécois sovereignists.
I think they screwed up their article.

Martin Théberge of the Société nationale de l'Acadie doesn't look like he is from Bénin originally. Nor does the name Théberge seem likely to be borne by a person who grew up in Maisons-Alfort in the Paris suburbs.

Martin Théberge seems like an old stock Canadian francophone to me.

Also, as président of the Société nationale de l'Acadie he would no doubt strongly prefer that Quebec stay within Canada, as he'd be outside of the independent Quebec if he stays where he is. Canadian francophones outside Quebec are generally against Quebec independence.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada