HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 7:17 PM

Here's the project page on the DNV website

https://www.dnv.org/business-develop...dollarton-road

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 10:01 PM

Wesgroup putting up their Edgemont project on the market.

https://storeys.com/wesgroup-ridgewo...rth-vancouver/

Old Posted Aug 24, 2024, 11:55 PM

Quote:
GWLRA plans to keep building apts. in North Vancouver

GWL Realty Advisors is one step closer to bringing a new purpose-built rental apartment building to market after receiving unanimous approval to move forward with increased density from the City of North Vancouver.

The site of the proposed six-storey, 91-unit apartment at 140 W. 19th St. in the Central Lonsdale neighbourhood is currently occupied by an older three-storey, 32-unit walk-up building. The existing building will be demolished to make way for the new one.

GWLRA is planning to redevelop the site on behalf of its Canada Life Real Estate Fund, which acquired it in 2022 from a private investor for $15.4 million. It’s surrounded by a range of building types, from townhomes to six-storey rental apartments.
Quote:
GWLRA recently completed The Bowline, a larger six-storey rental building on E. 2nd St. in North Vancouver’s Lower Lonsdale neighbourhood.

“After we finished our 159-unit Bowline project, which was really well received, we wanted to continue developing in the market,” Heu explained. “The sub-market has some of the best rental market fundamentals in the Lower Mainland.

“It has good planning regulations that encourage rental and a supportive mayor and city council. We want to develop more in the market, but it's difficult to get scale because all of the sites that you can buy are on the small side. It's not a market where you're building 30-storey towers or you have a lot of large sites.

"You’re buying older apartment buildings to tear down. They're all infill redevelopment sites. So for us to stay in the market, we decided to undertake a smaller project.”
Quote:
Planned amenities for the Integra Architecture-designed Central Lonsdale building include a tenant lounge, a fitness centre, a children's play area and places to park, repair and wash bicycles.

“It's a six-storey wood-frame building,” Heu said. “For this size, concrete construction doesn't work.”

Ten per cent of the building’s units will be priced at 10 per cent below Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation average rental rates for the area to be in compliance with a City of North Vancouver mandate.

“The reason why we're able to make a smaller building work is because we have the other project close by,” Heu explained, referring to The Bowline. “We plan to get economies of scale by sharing management resources.

“From a development point of view, the intent is to keep a similar design template from project to project and not reinvent the concept each time, so the design team and contractor know what the expectations are.”

The size of these mid-rise apartment buildings is also appropriate for some of GWLRA’s smaller investment partners, according to Heu.

GWLRA aims to start construction at 140 W. 19th St. early in 2025 and the building is expected to take two years to complete. Lease-up is anticipated to take less than a year.
https://renx.ca/gwlra-gets-go-ahead-...uver-apartment

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 10:46 PM

*Finally* something "opening soon" in North Van is actually opening. Ramen Danbo on Lonsdale and 15th is opening September 12th.

Last edited by jozero; Sep 6, 2024 at 5:22 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 10:33 PM

New North Van rec centre

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 6:44 PM

Grouse gondola

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 7:56 PM

The only downside of this new gondola is that it's positioned closer to the terrain, so those epic views of Vancouver from the Skyride Gondola will mostly be a thing of the past.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 10:14 PM

Oh I didn't know this was happening! Is this an entirely new gondola? What happens with the old one?

This is probably even more expensive than the previous one eh?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 10:27 PM

They already demo'd the old Blue tram, but the red one will stay I think. I'm assuming it'll be used for deliveries, etc like the Blue one used to be.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2024, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerLonsdaleMike View Post
The only downside of this new gondola is that it's positioned closer to the terrain, so those epic views of Vancouver from the Skyride Gondola will mostly be a thing of the past.
They are keeping the Red Tram in operation after the new gondola opens I think.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 11:38 AM
life in the present

Red Skyride is staying for those who enjoy the views but my guess would be during non-peak times they would only run one of the systems. As a frequent grinder I've been watching the construction and yes, the towers as placed very close to the ground especially the part that crosses below the Skyride where most of the views of the city and beyond will be blocked by trees.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2024, 8:13 PM

Employee said they are keeping the red tram for people to use, particularly for people to bring their bikes up for the new bike park they're building. Grouse has also said the new gondola will basically double upload/download capacity so I'm assuming both will be in use for when it gets busy.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2024, 4:07 PM

I can see them saying it's for people but only having it open on weekends/peak hours/etc. Perhaps more than the Blue Tram was (which was virtually never unless loads were dire), but I doubt it'll be at all hours. Ownership will try to trim costs whenever they can.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 6:56 PM
life in the present

New Grouse Mountain Gondola progress. Cabins installed, top and bottom stations almost complete. From my ride down after an amazing Grind this morning!
Photos by me:

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 8:14 PM

I had no idea these were small, I just assumed it would replace the current big ones. I guess this makes more sense. Hoping to open for this year's ski season?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 8:20 PM

From the most recent photos, I don't think there's much to worry about losing the views of Vancouver from the gondola. Not to mention that everyone gets to sit in the front row seats now!

Pretty excited to take the gondola sometime this or next year.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 8:30 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
From the most recent photos, I don't think there's much to worry about losing the views of Vancouver from the gondola. Not to mention that everyone gets to sit in the front row seats now!

Pretty excited to take the gondola sometime this or next year.
Views for the first 1/3 the way down will be about the same as the current Skyride, after the second tower ( on the way down ) the new gondola gets very close to the ground as it passes under the Skyride, hence very little views for the last 1/3. Grouse is saying it will be operational in time for this year's ski season according to the emails I receive from them as a pass holder.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Views for the first 1/3 the way down will be about the same as the current Skyride, after the second tower ( on the way down ) the new gondola gets very close to the ground as it passes under the Skyride, hence very little views for the last 1/3. Grouse is saying it will be operational in time for this year's ski season according to the emails I receive from them as a pass holder.
The ride between the first and second tower is the best part of the Skyride anyway. There never was really much of a view at the bottom for obvious reasons.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley