HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 3, 2024, 5:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
This area of downtown Hamilton is quickly filling up as a new urban canyon. This area will have a future LRT stop.

Source: Chris R. - https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....32784/page-10
Update

Source: Chris R. @ https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/thread....27799/page-14

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 12:27 PM

Rue Saint-Jacques, Montréal.

Pictutre by Lc17 on agoramtl.com

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 3:35 PM
The Vomit Bag.

love me some Montreal canyons

Old Posted Sep 21, 2024, 10:25 PM
菠蘿油

I was just on St-Jacques today. It has always been an impressive street thanks to the old architecture but the new towers the create a terminal view takes it to the next level.

If only it was livelier at street level. There's plenty of people around, but it's not a destination, despite the architecture. In that particular area, McGill Street is way busier.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 10:22 AM
video et taceo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I was just on St-Jacques today. It has always been an impressive street thanks to the old architecture but the new towers the create a terminal view takes it to the next level.

If only it was livelier at street level. There's plenty of people around, but it's not a destination, despite the architecture. In that particular area, McGill Street is way busier.

Very true. It is second only to Bay Street in built form, but there's that issue.

Something that has changed over my years on the forum is an increasing sense that while buildings are important, they remain secondary signifiers. The primary quality is the human activity they imply. A hypothetical "canyon" of important headquarters, hotels with many international visitors and high-end commercial outlets is thus more impressive than even a much larger canyon of high-rise student residences, holiday apartments and hospital buildings.

In some senses, I think a city like e.g. Toronto is almost topped out in terms of what buildings themselves can provide. To level up, it is now down to what sort of things are going on in the buildings, and how central they are to world affairs.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 12:31 PM
I am the law!

I don't know about that. I find the forum is even more focused on tall development with respects to the increase in number of residents, storeys and, appearance in the skyline over urban form, living conditions and architecture. There's less focus on existing inventory with the even more focus on future taller development.

This could be due to more places booming than when I joined.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 1:07 PM
video et taceo

I worded the above badly, I meant something that has changed in my own thinking on the subject.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 3:13 PM
I am the law!

Well, I interpreted it the way I did as I can't imagine you as more skyscraper enthusiast than urban explorer

Old Posted Sep 23, 2024, 11:48 PM

Some fun shots looking down into the canyons near The One.

Posted by Maldive.

And the video from the drone that took them:
Video Link

Old Posted Sep 24, 2024, 1:52 PM
I am the law!

The global residential skyscraper boom had yet to take off when I joined the conversation around 2000. There were numerous conversations across all the platforms to make commercial cores more attractive and the conversation typically settled on they lack of human scale to compete with mixed use neighbourhood high streets. That lack of human scale is a trade off for expressing commercial prowess but, it's detrimental when it comes to living in this built form. That conversation over human scale residential skyscraper clusters has never been brought up since the boom took off. Rather residential skyscrapers canyons are viewed as indistinguishable from the commercial cores of 20 years ago applying the same might and prowess over the more likely scenario of warehousing people.

In Toronto's case, the legacy of tens of thousands of mediocre, undersized units will be lasting long after this affordable housing crisis is forgotten The percentage increase of even smaller proposed living spaces is way up from 5 years ago. The best thing to ever happen for Toronto is this lull to get new projects in the ground that would have doubled or tripled the extreme limits of undersized units in a few short years. Their sheer numbers would have set the market for generations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada