HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 6:25 PM

Noticed this demo permit today:

Quote:
ZP-2024-008076
Aug 29, 2024
501 UNIVERSITY AVE, Philadelphia, PA 19104
CITY OF PHILA 3

The applicant proposes the subdivision of a lot into two lots. The existing lot consists of a three-story building to be demolished to slab and parking. The proposed lots are to be vacant, with the parking use removed. The project is located entirely within the Center City Commercial Mixed Use (CMX-4) zoning district.
That's a pretty big lot near the hospitalsl, not much real estate left over there, and this will create a fairly large vacant lot. I wonder if there are any plans for this site?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
I was in London earlier this month. Me and my wife stayed in Westminster and traveled across a wide swath of the city. We were amazed at the lack of traffic on the streets of London, even within the architecturally congested City of London. We could walk in many of the streets of Westminster without worrying about a car hitting us. The lack of traffic also made riding the buses a breeze--even more convenient than the Tube in many instances.

London provided me insight for what Philly, NYC, DC, Boston, and other older city centers could look like with congestion pricing. The benefits to city residents, pedestrians, cyclists, and SEPTA could be amazing, but it would take a few decades for public opinion to shift to the point where congestion pricing would be supported.
FR, traffic was very pleasant.

I agree with McGrath about tying it to transit expansion and improvements. Philly could make a shift pretty quickly with the right leadership and vision in place.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:35 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Noticed this demo permit today:

That's a pretty big lot near the hospitalsl, not much real estate left over there, and this will create a fairly large vacant lot. I wonder if there are any plans for this site?
The attached zoning plan in eclipse (need a free account login to view attached document) does mention Children’s Hospital by the way.
OWNER/APPLICANT:
CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL OF PHILADELPHIA
3401 CIVIC CENTER BOULEVARD
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19104

The building to be demolished at 501 UNIVERSITY AVE appears in streetview to be the old Medical Examiner’s location; I believe they moved to 400 N Broad with the PPD.

Last edited by Jayfar; Yesterday at 3:49 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
FR, traffic was very pleasant.

I agree with McGrath about tying it to transit expansion and improvements. Philly could make a shift pretty quickly with the right leadership and vision in place.
Agreed -- but the majority of meatheads in this city don't want to be London. They are incredibly unsophisticated and provincial in both their politics and approach to urbanism.

This town has some of the most progressive and interesting people I've ever met -- PLUS-- some of the most xenophobic/can't-believe-you-exist-in-a-diverse-city-of-1millon+ people I've ever met.

Unfortunately, until most of these people die off or move to Pennsauken - we're going to be stuck with Parkers and Kenneys --- even worse --- the idiots on City Council who have the actual power.

Old Posted Today, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reparcsyks View Post
Agreed -- but the majority of meatheads in this city don't want to be London. They are incredibly unsophisticated and provincial in both their politics and approach to urbanism.

This town has some of the most progressive and interesting people I've ever met -- PLUS-- some of the most xenophobic/can't-believe-you-exist-in-a-diverse-city-of-1millon+ people I've ever met.

Unfortunately, until most of these people die off or move to Pennsauken - we're going to be stuck with Parkers and Kenneys --- even worse --- the idiots on City Council who have the actual power.
Philly is definitely an interesting case study. It’s showing promise though; Penn’s Landing, the Boardwalk trail, 676 cap, and now a center city arena. Sure, more can be done. It’s changing much faster than I thought possible though. I’m happy with it’s direction.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development