HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 12:02 AM

I used to listen to cbc radio all the time but it seems like the programming has just gone down the drain, I miss all the old good shows, the thoughtful insightful journalism is gone. Ever since the jian ghomeshi scandal it’s been a steady decline.

Tv is even worse.

Watched the Olympic opening ceremonies on gem and wow, just terrible coverage. The only version they had was an asl one, so half the screen is an interpreter. Then it’s just endless gaps of Paris skyline again and again and again, and you couldn’t fast forward it. Lots of cut footage too. Middle of a performance and they zoom out to the Paris skyline. No budget to broadcast the whole event or what? Worst part is that no one at the cbc could have spent a few hours and cut down the run time and eliminate the endless nothingness. Just brutal.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
So, who exactly do you think is going to replace the local news coverage if you have the CBC vacate that space? It certainly won't be Global, Bell or the other private broadcasters who are steadily slashing their news operations.
This is a question that those who want to defund or eliminate the CBC seem to never have an answer for, and they seem to not be aware of the massive cutbacks private broadcasters and print media have been making in recent years. Just earlier this year CTV eliminated weekend news on most of its stations. And that's not just conventional television, this also impacts what's available online.

There is a misconception in this country that all markets are well-served by CTV and Global, people in big cities just assume that there's a CTV Prince Edward Island or a Global Ottawa that would fill gaps left by CBC, but there isn't. And they're certainly not lining up to start operations in those places either.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
people in big cities just assume that there's a CTV Prince Edward Island or a Global Ottawa that would fill gaps left by CBC, but there isn't.
There was a CTV (ATV/ASN) news bureau in PEI for decades (no longer there). That bureau had three employees (two reporters/cameraman and one cameraman/editor) They contributed to several newscasts (ATV 1, 5 and 6pm) (ASN 10 pm) and CTV Canada AM and CTV National News when necessary. If their story was of sufficient interest to other CTV affiliates it went over the DNS (Daily News Service) feed.

I would defund local CBC TV news to that level and not a full newsroom or station. That number of people could contribute to a regional newscast that could be done in Toronto.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
....a regional newscast that could be done in Toronto.
The reason you have regional newscasts produced in the regions is because they know what's relevant to those regions. Toronto-based newscasts end up being Toronto-centric; I still recall an editorial cartoon from decades ago joking that the top story on a national newscast was about the Toronto library (rather than some serious events in the regions).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:03 AM

Quote:
That number of people could contribute to a regional newscast that could be done in Toronto.
I think this is evidence that you either live in Toronto or you're a bot, because nobody outside of Toronto would think that a regional newscast done in Toronto is a good idea.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:18 AM

Quote:
The reason you have regional newscasts produced in the regions is because they know what's relevant to those regions. Toronto-based newscasts end up being Toronto-centric; I still recall an editorial cartoon from decades ago joking that the top story on a national newscast was about the Toronto library (rather than some serious events in the regions).
I am curious as to how many of you commenting on this subject actually have any experience with it.

Where it is broadcast from is irrelevant. You could have a regional news director put together the lineup. I am describing what has already been done and works.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
I think this is evidence that you either live in Toronto or you're a bot, because nobody outside of Toronto would think that a regional newscast done in Toronto is a good idea.
And this post is evidence of someone who has never worked in a TV news operation.

I am obviously not posting what will be done but what could be done via my own experience. And with today's technology it could be accomplished much easier than previously. I also haven't sat down and planned this, there are too many variables. Are SRC and radio getting defunded" Is it just English TV?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
And this post is evidence of someone who has never worked in a TV news operation.
Why on earth do you think producing regional newscasts out of Toronto for the rest of Canada is a good thing?

A large part of local news programming is actual interaction with the community. Local media presenters do all kinds of things outside of the studio. They interact with school kids, they bring attention to community events and fundraisers. They are often doing charitable things to help raise money for all types of causes.

Nobody at a desk in Toronto could do that.

We need to create more opportunities for people all across Canada, Not less.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:46 AM

You guys seem to be mistaking with what I think would be ways to deal with a defunding against what I want to happen.

I am offering up ideas to keep a semblance of regional news over not having any at all. It's where I got my start, I don't want to see it die but CBC has become basically irrelevant to viewers (and that is with a regional presence). They have entrenched unions and fat cat execs, and a biased workforce, something has to be done.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I am curious as to how many of you commenting on this subject actually have any experience with it.
And here I was thinking that the avatar was too on the nose...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:03 AM

Quote:
You're not the only one here with direct experience in news production.
Well, I'd love to hear their suggestions for dealing with a large defunding which many are speculating.

I'd be especially interested to read what they suggest in terms of whole stations being offloaded and how to keep any semblance of local news running.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:06 AM

Quote:
And here I was thinking that the avatar was too on the nose...
Great, happy to hear from you in more precise terms on what to do with a drastically cut budget.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:24 AM

Quote:
You guys seem to be mistaking with what I think would be ways to deal with a defunding against what I want to happen.

I am offering up ideas to keep a semblance of regional news over not having any at all. It's where I got my start, I don't want to see it die but CBC has become basically irrelevant to viewers (and that is with a regional presence). They have entrenched unions and fat cat execs, and a biased workforce, something has to be done.
I don’t think the cbc is entirely a lost cause. I think with the right leadership it can correct its course… but there’s a lot of people that need to get tossed before that can happen, on both sides of the camera. From execs and bureaucrats to the hosts, Rosemarie Barton needs to be stopped. lol I generally prefer listening to female presenters but i just can’t stand her biased commentary. English cbc would do well to follow the French formats. They seem to do a much better job at engaging listeners of all ages from all backgrounds. But I think the reason radio Canada does well in Quebec is because it is provincially focused producing almost all of its own content.

Honestly i think where the cbc is failing is with the local market. So many cuts to provincial programming while the mother Corp in Toronto sucks it all up. I genuinely think a focus on more regional programming would save the CBC by creating exciting and engaging programming in each province/territory you’d slowly win back the national audience. Instead of pumping everything out of Toronto, regional networks could be exporting the best of their programming to a national audience so Canadians can learn more about each other and the country.

Win back the provincial audiences and you’ll save the cbc.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:12 PM

With the demise of newspapers and cutting back of other news stations, the need for CBC is greater than ever imo. It is a shame that there is a liberal bias there that has gotten worst in recent years and turned off a good portion of the population. At least here in NS, I wish they'd focus much more on local politics (which can actually be interesting/exciting stuff if framed in the right way) and less on the liberal-bent fluff pieces (saying this as a left winger myself).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
With the demise of newspapers and cutting back of other news stations, the need for CBC is greater than ever imo. It is a shame that there is a liberal bias there that has gotten worst in recent years and turned off a good portion of the population. At least here in NS, I wish they'd focus much more on local politics (which can actually be interesting/exciting stuff if framed in the right way) and less on the liberal-bent fluff pieces (saying this as a left winger myself).
The thing is, it’s the local newspapers in NS that do a better job of local coverage in NS; CBC would just kill them off entirely, and leave us all worse off.

Compare the coverage on DFO officers not being supported to enforce: CBC’s coverage is over a week later, and only a cursory glance compared to the ongoing reporting from the Chronicle-Herald:

Quote:
DFO officers refusing to enforce Fisheries Act, cite lack of support from brass, politicians
https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-ca...ans-100986259/
Aaron Beswick · Reporter | Posted: Aug. 12, 2024, 5:39 p.m. | Updated: Aug. 12, 2024, 6:51 p.m. | 4 Min Read

DFO front-line officers in Nova Scotia are refusing to conduct enforcement patrols, citing safety provisions in the Canada Labour Code.

According to sources who did not want to be identified, the officers are seeking drug training, ballistic armour capable of stopping high-powered rifle rounds and body-worn cameras.

Supervisors in the affected detachments have also reportedly refused to conduct enforcement patrols in solidarity with the officers.

The work stoppage has been going for at least two weeks.

The refusal comes as rampant unlicensed lobster fishing occurs on St. Mary’s Bay in advance of the commercial season that opens in November.

DFO confirmed the work stoppage Monday.

“Some fishery officers in Fisheries and Oceans Canada’s Maritimes region are refusing work due to concerns about safety of their work,” reads a written response by the department to Chronicle Herald questions.

“Workplace safety is of the highest importance to Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO). The department makes every effort to provide for a secure and healthy work environment for our employees. DFO respects the right of employees to refuse dangerous work, and we take reports of dangerous work seriously.”

The response said that when a refusal to work occurs, the department is obligated to investigate it under the Canada Labour Code.

Sources tell The Chronicle Herald that any participating officers who speak to the media about the job action have been threatened with suspension by DFO.

“It’s a refusal to work under unsafe conditions,” said Dan Fleck, who retired from his job as a conservation and protection field supervisor in 2020 after 32 years with DFO.

“Our minister has labelled our officers as racist, then is sending them out to work.”

Fleck was referring to a July 8 announcement by federal Fisheries Minister Diane Lebouthillier of an independent review into two unlicensed Indigenous elver fishermen allegedly being left without boots at a Shelburne County gas station on March 26.

“The Government of Canada will be launching a comprehensive external review to examine the events of March 26, 2024, the conduct of the DFO fishery officers involved, as well as DFO policies, enforcement practices, and procedures to eradicate the potential for systemic biases or racism,” stated Lebouthillier.

“In the coming weeks, a whole-of-government team comprised of representatives from Indigenous Services of Canada (ISC), Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada (CIRNAC), Public Safety Canada (PS) and Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) will establish a framework for the external review, including the terms of reference, membership and scope of the mandate of the individual(s) identified to lead the work.”

Fleck stated that the Public Prosecution Service of Canada is refusing to prosecute additional Fisheries Act charges against Indigenous persons, citing changes made to guidelines for their work.

“Why would officers go out and risk life and limb to arrest people and lay charges when there is no prosecution?” said Fleck.

Asked earlier this year by The Chronicle Herald whether the Public Prosecution Service would be prosecuting charges laid by DFO against Indigenous persons claiming a moderate livelihood right, spokeswoman Nathalie Houle said in a written response that “the (guidelines) chapter on the decision to prosecute was updated on March 7, 2023 with the intention of recognizing bias, discrimination, and other factors contributing to overrepresentation of Indigenous, Black and racialized persons.”

South Shore-St.Margarets MP Rick Perkins said Monday that a succession of six federal fisheries ministers over the past nine years have failed to support front-line officers.

“When (conservation and protection officers) pursued enforcement around the elver fishery this spring, they were pretty upset when their own minister and the prime minister implied they were racist,” said Perkins.

“Secondly, the federal Crown has chosen not to pursue any charges they lay for poaching lobster or elvers. So these officers are saying ‘What am I doing this job for if I lay charges and the government won’t even pursue the charges?’ Organized crime has become involved, you’re talking about armed people. Numerous occasions of people being assaulted. We’ve seen shots fired in people’s houses.”

DFO would not confirm whether its officers are laying Fisheries Act charges during the work stoppage.

“The department makes every effort to minimize operational impacts and continue enforcement activities as normal. We continue to investigate Fisheries Act offences.

Fishery officers are deployed using a risk-based approach and undergo rigorous training to prepare them for field work."
C-H actually did interviews, got sources amongst the affected officers, and provides background. Whereas CBC only reports over a week later, after DFO itself came out with a statement acknowledging the situation, and doesn’t even interview anyone from DFO or its officers, it just quotes the statement - that was only issued by DFO in response to the original work from the C-H reporter!

Quote:
Some fishery officers refusing work in N.S., citing dangerous conditions, says DFO
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...work-1.7301971

Southwest N.S. fishermen's group says there's no enforcement on road, water or wharfs to stop illegal fishing

Anjuli Patil · CBC News · Posted: Aug 22, 2024 5:26 PM ADT | Last Updated: August 22

Some fishery officers with Fisheries and Oceans Canada are refusing work in Nova Scotia out of concern for their safety, the federal department said Thursday.

While DFO said in a statement it is "making every effort to minimize operational impacts," a group representing fishermen in southwest Nova Scotia said enforcement officers are nowhere to be seen to prevent illegal fishing during the off-season.

"There's illegal fishing occurring and there is no enforcement staff on the road or on the water or on the wharfs. And it's out of hand," Dan Fleck, executive director of the Brazil Rock Lobster Association, told CBC News in an interview Wednesday.

The statement from DFO did not elaborate on the safety concerns, but the department said it has already begun investigating reports of dangerous working conditions as obligated.

"Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) respects the right of employees to refuse dangerous work, and we take reports of dangerous work seriously," said the department.

Enforcement work ongoing: DFO

The department said enforcement work is still happening, but it wouldn't disclose how many officers are out working and if there is a change in the number of officers working compared to last year. DFO said that information would not be released in order "to maintain operational integrity."

Fleck, whose group represents fishermen in lobster fishing areas 33 and 34, said while the lobster fishing season is three months away, he's concerned about how the stock could be negatively impacted by illegal fishing.

"We need to support these officers, and we need these officers on the water and out there doing the job they've been trained to do," Fleck said.

In an email, the Union of Health and Environment Workers, which represents fishery enforcement officers, said it is involved in helping resolve the issue and that "due process related to work refusal is being followed."
Agree everyone is better served with a CBC that is bias-free; but in the N.S. context, local issues really are where local papers and media can survive best. A bias-free CBC that is instead more nationally and globally focused (think BBC, DW, France 24, etc), and not competing with local media, would be best for everyone.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:25 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Within a year, the CH will likely be a shadow of it's former self (once Post Media completes it's acquisition of Saltwire).

Post Media bought out Brunswick News several years ago, and now has monopoly coverage in NB. They have butchered the print media in this province, closing the offices for the T&T and the Gleaner (I'm not so sure what's left of the Times Globe). Almost everything is online now. It is still possible to receive print editions, but Post Media is doing everything in it's power to discourage this.

In Moncton, the T&T used to be a decent regional paper for eastern NB. Now the coverage of the city has been reduced to court reporting, and, secondarily covering news that popped up on social media several days earlier. I swear they get a lot of their content from SSP! The T&T building has been sold and is vacant. I think there may be two reporters left in the city, working from home.

The CH may survive, but you will be appalled at what it will become.

I am a conservative, and hate what the CBC has become, but, in small markets especially, the CBC can have a vital role to play in local news coverage. I wish the CBC would see the light and get rid of it's left leaning activist agenda. This makes it very difficult for me to support them (even though I really, really want to).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:36 PM

I'd say Atlantic Canada used to have excellent coverage from ATV/ASN back in the day, especially with Live at 5 (One hour regional news/information show) PLUS News at 6 (one hour of actual news focused more on Canada/International as well as local News) each weekday, and the Midnight wrapup and Weekend news shows.

CTV's been cutting them back to the bone for years now. And the most recent slap was cutting half an hour off of Live At Five to put in a Toronto "National" news cast that basically prepeats everything that would be done at 6 anyways.

I haven't watched TV news in years, but my parents were/are loyal ATV viewers, and they were pissed at those changes.

I think News Coverage in Canada is rapidly getting to a breaking point. Everything's consolidating into Toronto and Montreal, and the outer regions are hurting for it, and we're clapping back by tuning out. Ideally CBC would be able to spread out to pick up the slack as their mandate should be; but they seem to be as infected with that centralizaation thought as the commercial networks.

Reforming the CBC I'd be all for it. Force it to have a presence across more of the country and not just be regurgitating Toronto news across the country. Maybe set up regions that it has to give local coverage to and things like that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I am a conservative, and hate what the CBC has become, but, in small markets especially, the CBC can have a vital role to play in local news coverage. I wish the CBC would see the light and get rid of it's left leaning activist agenda. This makes it very difficult for me to support them (even though I really, really want to).
Amen.

Liberalism (now leftism) has changed. I often judge story bias on what if the shoe was on the other foot. It seems modern leftism no longer cares about this, pretty much to the point of self destruction. We can't see far enough ahead that Conservatives could do the same thing to us if they had the opportunity, and we don't care. The threat of MAD is gone. JMO

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 6:59 PM

I would love to see reform.

The CBC ship will continue to sink the more people that it alienates, all in a (inauthentic) effort to appeal to certain groups. Until it can be seen as an unbiased source of news, and information, people from across he spectrum will continue to tune out and/or call for funding to be pulled. Part of the problem is the CBC trying to create click worthy content and thus is just doing a worse job of this style of "news" than other companies.

Politics, and current events need to be reported as found and left to the viewer to make opinions. You can have opinion pieces and narratives, but as much as possible the news needs to be presented without a spin/political leaning.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I would love to see reform.

The CBC ship will continue to sink the more people that it alienates,
And you can alienate those who might be on your own "side". I recall when CBC was getting very blatant about their coverage (no where near like it became) and Sun News started a news channel. I thought "this is ok, it's something to balance out the CBC and geared more toward me" But it became too right wing even for me. If there's one thing I can't stand more than activist leftists, it's the real far right wing who make the rest of Conservatives look bad. So I stopped watching them, there must be some old school Liberals who feel the same way about the CBC.

When I do see CBC or CNN, it is very rare when at the end of a segment I say to myself "that was fair". Another question I often ask about the CBC is, when in human history (aside from dictatorships etc) has the media ever "protected" or run cover (for the lack of a better word) for a ruling party? And if anyone thinks it will disappear when Trump or PP is gone, it won't. CDS (Conservative Derangement Syndrome) went on long before Trump and will continue after he's gone. It really ramped up under Bush and Trump himself helped it along. It won't matter who is in there as a Conservative they will be demonized and vilified by a leftist dominated mainstream media.

Last edited by elly63; Aug 23, 2024 at 8:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada