HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 3:10 PM

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 7, 2024 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurs_ag View Post
The letter to MLB states 4,500 fixed seats and capacity for up to 8,000 for Missions games. I'm hoping that is an error.

https://sanantonioreport.org/wp-cont...10421629.1.pdf

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 7, 2024 at 11:49 PM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 6:35 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Doubt it's an error if it made it into the letter, but maybe it could change in another iteration. For context, the Chihuahua's stadium in El Paso has 7500 fixed seats with capacity for 10,000. And Wolff Stadium is 6,200 seats... honestly wild they want to build a smaller stadium.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 6:40 PM

Seating can always change but many new venues are building smaller. Look at college basketball for example, many schools are going to smaller because attendance is down everywhere. Why play in a cavernous space when you can have a sold out space. Also, El Paso is AAA and SA will only be AA

Old Posted Aug 7, 2024, 9:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan-B-SATX View Post
removed
Fundamentally different land costs, for starters, which is out of the control of city leaders, but I do agree that there's zero point in spending money on anything that isn't a major league team. I'd wager it makes it less likely in the long-run that San Antonio lands a major league team of any sport at all, because their predictable bad attendance, fan engagement, and financials will make it appear as if San Antonio cannot support professional sports beyond the Spurs. That's strategically a poor choice. Just wait for San Antonio metro to grow more, invest in the local economy to raise income across the board, keep housing costs low (the primary cost of living input that local governments can control) so that that extra income is expendable income, and then wait for the major leagues to approach you because it makes financial sense for them.
San Antonio: 1495k (+4%) + MSA suburbs: 1209k (+8%) + CSA exurbs: 82k (+3%)
Austin: 980k (+2%) + MSA suburbs: 1493k (+13%)

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 7, 2024 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 1:15 PM

If a 4500 seat stadium is true, and pushed by Mission ownership, then it is apparent that they are not interested in moving to AAA. A stadium of that size would never fly.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 2:51 PM

If we are to spend 200M for a 4500 seat stadium, make it expandable to meet AAA or MLB standards. Nothing else makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 6:41 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

*removed*

Guy who apparently hasn't heard about Project Marvel

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; Aug 8, 2024 at 11:33 PM.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2024, 9:11 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ret_77375 View Post
If a 4500 seat stadium is true, and pushed by Mission ownership, then it is apparent that they are not interested in moving to AAA. A stadium of that size would never fly.
That's not necessarily true. And, it's not that simple.

There is one AAA team per MLB team. Just as there is one AA team per MLB franchise. One of those AAA franchises would have to want to move to SA or get bought by the Missions ownership for SA to get a AAA team. Another way for SA to get a AAA team is that a MLB team does not renew their partnership with their current AAA franchise and signs with the Missions - elevating the Missions and potentially relegating the franchise who lost their partnership.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 6:51 PM
JACKinBeantown

I just came across this. I still say use the ITC shell as the base of the new Spurs arena; it's the perfect size and shape, and retaining it would satisfy the three people in San Antonio who actually like the fugly ITC building.

And put some solar panels and windmills on top!

As Spurs arena rumors swirl and a ballot deadline looms, architects reimagine downtown SA
by Shari Biediger and Iris Dimmick
August 4, 2024

https://sanantonioreport.org/as-spur...e-downtown-sa/

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 5:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
I just came across this. I still say use the ITC shell as the base of the new Spurs arena; it's the perfect size and shape, and retaining it would satisfy the three people in San Antonio who actually like the fugly ITC building.

And put some solar panels and windmills on top!

As Spurs arena rumors swirl and a ballot deadline looms, architects reimagine downtown SA
by Shari Biediger and Iris Dimmick
August 4, 2024

https://sanantonioreport.org/as-spur...e-downtown-sa/
Things have evolved since August 4. It looks pretty definite that the baseball field will be built on Weston property next to the creek. It also looks pretty definite that the baseball field will be accompanied by dense residential development (plus yet another hotel) surrounding it.

New downtown Missions ballpark would cost $160M, but officials say it ‘pays for itself’

https://sanantonioreport.org/new-dow...ys-for-itself/

"The price tag and plans for a new baseball stadium in downtown San Antonio — anchoring a private development project that will partially fund the facility — were revealed at a City Council meeting Wednesday.

The cost of the San Antonio Missions home stadium and the land in the northwest quadrant of downtown is estimated to be $160 million. The 7,500-capacity ballpark would be built on mostly vacant parcels of land at North Flores, Camaron and Kingsbury streets, south of San Antonio ISD headquarters and adjacent to the San Pedro Creek Culture Park.

The new ballpark is expected to open in 2028...."

This is huge and I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion about it.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 1:48 PM
JACKinBeantown

^^ Good. That's the way it should be.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 4:49 PM

This really would be a great development.

Yet, it seems that this would get off the ground before the Spurs arena in downtown would

Do we think the city can do both at the same time?

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkill34 View Post
This really would be a great development.

Yet, it seems that this would get off the ground before the Spurs arena in downtown would

Do we think the city can do both at the same time?
YES! ABSOLUTELY!!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 2:25 AM

[IMG]Future San Antonio Mission Stadium by Raul Medina III, on Flickr[/IMG]

I walked around the future site today. There was not a human in site anywhere. This area would benefit greatly with the addition of the stadium and entertainment district.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2024, 5:29 AM

Old Posted Sep 5, 2024, 10:08 PM

Angry

Yknow, I really can’t stand how dismissive certain characters online and in person are being about tenants concerns of being displaced just for a shiny ballpark. Didn’t we learn anything from other cities not mentioning our own on kicking people out for jumbo projects that are a financial gamble (Hemisfair 1968)? I know some of the people living there and they’re good and honest working people, who did not know about these plans of displacement until it broke out on the news (and my understanding is the Soap Factory is still taking applications and the $$$ deposit with them…why?)…and now you have the Express News writing todayThat vote (CoSA and the Missions) was initially set for Sept. 5. But concerns about the fate of residents of the Soap Factory Apartments, located near San Pedro Creek Culture Park in the northwest corner of downtown, got in the way.

Got in the way? That’s real dismissive language. None of the people involved with this ballpark project I sincerely doubt have ever been homeless, I was for years through childhood into adulthood. It’s a terrible and scary thing that traumatizes you for life and in a bass ackwards state like Texas you have better odds moving out than trying to make it work with the state resources. If you’re a woman forget about staying at the Haven Courtyard, an unregulated hotbed for criminal activity trafficking and sexual deviancy being the most heinous. These people are GENUINELY SCARED of being out on the streets (as a decent amount of those tenants are moving there from the streets from shelters for the first time)…they’re not chess pieces to be pushed around.

San Antonians are supposed to be all in this together. Weston Urban should consider provide allowance to the existing tenants (or at least half decided by random lottery, but the Express News says they’re not helping at all) to move wherever they want when this time comes (Express News says they’re not but they will waive application fees into the new Continental property hurray!) and if this property will soon be razed, why are you still accepting tenants?

Last edited by SpiritofSeguin; Sep 5, 2024 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Citing Express News story

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 12:43 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritofSeguin View Post
Yknow, I really can’t stand how dismissive certain characters online and in person are being about tenants concerns of being displaced just for a shiny ballpark. Didn’t we learn anything from other cities not mentioning our own on kicking people out for jumbo projects that are a financial gamble (Hemisfair 1968)? I know some of the people living there and they’re good and honest working people, who did not know about these plans of displacement until it broke out on the news (and my understanding is the Soap Factory is still taking applications and the $$$ deposit with them…why?)…and now you have the Express News writing todayThat vote (CoSA and the Missions) was initially set for Sept. 5. But concerns about the fate of residents of the Soap Factory Apartments, located near San Pedro Creek Culture Park in the northwest corner of downtown, got in the way.

Got in the way? That’s real dismissive language. None of the people involved with this ballpark project I sincerely doubt have ever been homeless, I was for years through childhood into adulthood. It’s a terrible and scary thing that traumatizes you for life and in a bass ackwards state like Texas you have better odds moving out than trying to make it work with the state resources. If you’re a woman forget about staying at the Haven Courtyard, an unregulated hotbed for criminal activity trafficking and sexual deviancy being the most heinous. These people are GENUINELY SCARED of being out on the streets (as a decent amount of those tenants are moving there from the streets from shelters for the first time)…they’re not chess pieces to be pushed around.

San Antonians are supposed to be all in this together. Weston Urban should consider provide allowance to the existing tenants (or at least half decided by random lottery, but the Express News says they’re not helping at all) to move wherever they want when this time comes (Express News says they’re not but they will waive application fees into the new Continental property hurray!) and if this property will soon be razed, why are you still accepting tenants?
Start a petition saying this to Weston Urban and the city.

FYI, I agree with what you said. I just want to add the reality that, as you said, monied people generally don't care what happens to the poor as long as they make "progress." So I recommend wording your petition (if you choose t write one) in a way that offers a viable solution (e.g. - Weston Urban creating housing units, etc.) and makes those with the power feel good about themselves, as opposed to shaming them.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
Start a petition saying this to Weston Urban and the city.

FYI, I agree with what you said. I just want to add the reality that, as you said, monied people generally don't care what happens to the poor as long as they make "progress." So I recommend wording your petition (if you choose t write one) in a way that offers a viable solution (e.g. - Weston Urban creating housing units, etc.) and makes those with the power feel good about themselves, as opposed to shaming them.
Sorry, but in their proposal they state the will provide housing for misplaced people.

This situation appears to reflect a recurring issue of subpar journalism, inadequate communication from the City of San Antonio (COSA), and a lack of informed public discourse, leading to widespread frustration.

The backup:

Quote:
Weston Urban has committed to offering residents displaced by phase one of economic development to move to another unit at the Soap Factory, and for all residents who will be displaced by phase two of economic development to be moved into affordable units at the Continental Block Hotel — also owned by Weston Urban — or to be given housing navigation assistance to find somewhere else to live.
But then you have all of the articles quoting the same person who does not "want" to leave the Soap Works.

Quote:
Alvarado said he doesn’t want to leave Soap Factory, and that he’s not convinced the housing navigation assistance that Urban Weston — the real estate developer that both owns the Soap Factory apartments and is on the Missions’ ownership group — has promised as part of their displacement plan will help him.

“I know for a fact that I would not be able to get somewhere else, and I would end up in the street yet again,” he said.
Unfortunately, when neither you nor the government own the property, the decision is ultimately not within your control.

And yes, I have this attitude as someone who lived out of his car at 21 and do well enough now 15 years later.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2024, 2:46 PM
James

I have friends who just moved out of the soap factory and stated that it was disgusting and in dire need of renovations. They had things stolen multiple times. I didn't know Weston Urban was assisting the current soap factory tenants when that time comes.

I agree that when you don't own or the government doesn't own the property you're subject to things like this but they definitely should have communicated this before they found out on the news. I can only imagine the office calls. It's a hard decision all around hopefully; WU will make good on its promise to assist.

I would have preferred the ballpark on the Alamodome side as the empty parking lots make more sense to not displace anyone but the decision has been made.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio