HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
they were talking about this and the latest info on the radio today, one of the things they found interesting is just how much voters have changed, 40+ voters are more likely to vote NDP where as 40 and below aka millennials and gen z are more likely to be voting conservative, they see it as a big shift in voting demographics, as it was always the seniors and older people who would support conservatives and younger voters would go NDP.
I wonder how much of that is "youngs like Conservatives" and "olds like NDP" versus "youngs hate status quo" and "olds like status quo"?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:20 PM

edit

Last edited by dreambrother808; Aug 17, 2024 at 4:34 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
I wonder how much of that is "youngs like Conservatives" and "olds like NDP" versus "youngs hate status quo" and "olds like status quo"?
I’m hard pressed to think of much the NDP has even specifically done for those over 40.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I’m hard pressed to think of much the NDP has even specifically done for those over 40.
A reputation of the left being better for healthcare, giving cash to homeowners, and building seniors housing. I also imagine that when older people move and or retire, the ones who want to go to BC just tend to be more on the left, and vice versa.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 8:35 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
Similarly the collapse of the tree fruits cooperative is due to the poor yield and damage caused by extreme weather (see climate change, above). In this case the province are taking action. "Tuesday, the province announced a variety of programs to assist farmers across the province whose businesses have been ravaged by natural disasters and other difficult circumstances for several consecutive years.

Premier David Eby said he's asked the federal government for subsidy frameworks taking place in Washington state, where the federal and state governments are heavily subsidizing their farmers.

"Our farmers are expected to compete on what's been called a level playing field … when it's clearly not a level playing field," he said. "One group of farmers is being subsidized, and one isn't. If there's a level playing field, our farmers can compete with the best in the world."

The provincial AgriStability fund will be improved, increasing compensation from 80 to 90 per cent, as well as doubling the cap for the 2024 growing season, said Eby."
[CBC]
Climate change can be a fair argument with the practices the past 5 years (the 2021 head dome killed off many fruit trees) but the fruit industry was already on the decline in the 2000's with the dissolution of many farms/fruit producers.

Having seen the insides of the industry I can say farming has become a vehicle to speculate on agricultural land while doing the bare minimum to grow anything on the land. You see it in the Lower Mainland with many agribusinesses electing to grow blueberries while more farmers in the interior are electing for vineyards which require less water and maintenance. Monster homes with dozens of rental suites are either built or the lands are being purposed for truck storage. Not sure about the current practices but there were instances where you had many new owners immediately applying for ALR land exemptions and throwing tantrums when these were rejected.

Throwing money in the form of aid will help some farmers but there's a hyper focus on gaining a quick return...Not sure what this will accomplish long-term.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:10 PM

Quote:
NEW - Deal has been reached for BC United to suspend provincial election campaign and some of its candidates will run for B.C. Conservatives. Kevin Falcon will not be running in the election. The list is still being worked on for others running for Conservatives. #bcpoli
https://x.com/richardzussman/status/1828871041663607229

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Yikes, this is bad news for the NDP.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post
Wow! I honestly didn't think they would get their act together and come to an agreement.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 7:50 PM

7 years of good government and BC is about to throw it all away. I hate this

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:01 PM

Wow Falcon will go down as one of the biggest loser screw ups in BC Politics history.

Eby will have his work cut out for him.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:21 PM

It's official, per the BC United party:

CBC: B.C. United suspends campaign to merge with B.C. Conservatives

Quote:
The B.C. United Party is suspending its campaign and joining forces with the surging Conservative Party of B.C. in a move intended to unite the right-of-centre vote ahead of the October 19th provincial election.

B.C. United campaign manager Mark Werner confirmed that Kevin Falcon will step down and the party will merge with the B.C Conservatives.
The BC Conservative Party is holding a news conference at 2:40 PM today.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
Yikes, this is bad news for the NDP.
Interestingly, I thought I remembered Rustad rejecting a non-compete agreement a few months ago. I suppose this concedes quite a bit more to the BC Conservatives, but it also might mean that the BC Conservatives weren't entirely confident in their chances on their own.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:46 PM
victory in near

Social Credit party 2024 edition

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:53 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
There is just a fundamental flaw in our system when you only have 2 options for both the provincial and federal elections, and both parties get lobbied hard by special interest groups. These parties can singlehandedly win an election with zero platform or commitments just because the incumbent party sucks.

I haven't been a fan of several moves by the NDP but the BC Cons are absolutely a lunatic party run by members that are absolutely 100% in the pocket of corporations that are aiming entry into the market via privatization (health care, insurance, hydro).

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 8:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
There is just a fundamental flaw in our system when you only have 2 options for both the provincial and federal elections, and both parties get lobbied hard by special interest groups. These parties can singlehandedly win an election with zero platform or commitments just because the incumbent party sucks.

I haven't been a fan of several moves by the NDP but the BC Cons are absolutely a lunatic party run by members that are absolutely 100% in the pocket of corporations that are aiming entry into the market via privatization (health care, insurance, hydro).
To some extent, I blame the NDP a bit for botching electoral reform. The referendum had huge "designed by committee" vibes and was unfortunately set up to fail. (I'm personally unconvinced proportional representation is the way to go, but anything is better than FPTP!)

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:03 PM

Only a 2-party system... I dunno. I like the cut of these guy's jib

"Party of Citizens Who Have Decided To Think For Ourselves & Be Our Own Politicians"

This is a legit registered party. I love democracy.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Only a 2-party system... I dunno. I like the cut of these guy's jib
Although technically due to the nature of our Westminster-style parliamentary system it can't ever truly be a 2-party system (or at least only each electoral district is 2-party, but may be NDP vs Cons or Green vs NDP or I guess Green vs Cons (West Van-Sea-To-Sky?)), it is true that a lot of if not most people don't actually vote for their local politician and instead vote by party instead which makes it look a lot like a 2-party system.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
How? All that's changed is the odds of a Dipper majority sliding from 80% to 78%.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
How? All that's changed is the odds of a Dipper majority sliding from 80% to 78%.
Not sure if you're aware, but that model is two weeks old right now. It's not factoring in the dissolution of BC United, it just looks that way because the model shows BC United getting wiped out, however they are still modeled as capturing 10% of the popular vote. If the BC Conservatives were to uptake that entire 10% (they won't) or even partially, that could make a huge difference in swing ridings like Fraser-Nicola, North Island, or Richmond-Steveston.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2024, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
"Latest update: August 14, 2024"

This development will absolutely change the race.

Your BC NDP overconfidence is misplaced.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics