HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 9:36 PM
Community Guy

It was actually quite divided when they asked the Inuit, many were fine with it from what 'the report' shared, but I'd say that ship has sailed and so let's focus on the rest of it.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:49 PM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 7:57 PM
Community Guy

I like the cut of his jib.

'revamped or new facility'

Hmmmmm

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 10:18 PM

Best Seat In The House: Larry Thompson’s journey to Elks’ ownership
Chris O'Leary Senior Writer cfl.ca August 15, 2024

Larry Thompson remembers his first steps into Clarke Stadium in 1972. He was 12 years old and remembers sitting alongside his stepfather in the old stadium’s grandstands and watching streams of larger-than-life athletes take the field. He was captivated.

In 1978, when Commonwealth Stadium opened, their seats improved. They were season-ticket holders, front row, right behind the Edmonton bench.

“I thought that was pretty cool,” Thompson recalled. “We still have those same two seats today.”

Now, Thompson has those two seats and control over about 56,300 other ones.

Football has very much been a family affair for Larry Thompson, from days at Clarke Stadium as a child to being a longtime season ticket holder at Commonwealth Stadium (GoElks.com)

Thompson was announced as the new owner of the Edmonton Elks on Thursday, bringing a 75-year run of community ownership to a close. While questions will naturally surround the team’s brand new owner, fans of the team and the CFL at large can rest easy knowing that Thompson is in many ways just like them: a passionate fan who wants to see his team and the league as a whole thrive and grow.

“Well, what I want to bring to the team is hard work. When you’ve got hard work, you’ve got success and I want the team to get back to their winning ways. We want to start winning football games,” he said.

“I want to increase the amount of fans we have in the seats too, because fans are so very important to our team. We need to have our fans support us. And in order for that to (happen), we’ve got to be good on the field, the whole clubhouse to be good. We all have to contribute and work hard.”

Thompson doesn’t just talk about hard work; he knows firsthand what it is. Born in Gibbons, Alta., Thompson said he’s lived in all four corners of Edmonton before he and his family settled in Spruce Grove, just outside of Edmonton. Having worked in construction his entire working life, he founded Thompson Construction and turned what started out as what he described as a handful of people into a company of 1,500 employees and over 2,000 pieces of equipment. After 45 years running the business that bears his family name, he sold it in 2023.

Through a life spent in Edmonton and its surrounding area, Thompson is a part of the pulse of the city. He understands what the Elks mean to the people of Edmonton and the pride that the city has taken in its extended success over the years. In building his own successful business, there’s a lot that he can apply to this new venture.

“The largest thing that I’ve always worked off of is getting the best people I can find, to get the best team,” Thompson said. “I’ve done that all my life, it’s all people. I have to have the best people. I want the best people and I’ve been very successful with the best people and so have they. That’s kind of the bottom line, right there, is people.”

While Thompson and the Elks have eight rivals in the CFL, he looks one province to the West for an example of the type of owner he’d like to be for his team. Thompson has admired the work that BC Lions owner Amar Doman has done since he took control of that team in 2021.

“I think Amar has done a lot of super good things with the club,” he said. “He’s very good at entertaining fans. He’s brought entertainment back into BC and he’s hired the right people. They’ve got a good quarterback, and they just got another good one back from down south.

“I think he’s attracting talent and I think he’s doing a tremendous job in BC.”

As he takes control of the team that he’s spent the bulk of his life watching as a fan, there’s a great sense of joy in Thompson and his family this week. He lists off some of those early favourite players of his: Dan Kepley, Tom Wilkinson, Brian Kelly. Rather than recite them all from Warren Moon through to Ricky Ray, Michael Reilly and Tre Ford he just says, “you know who I’m talking about.”

Ownership of this team is something he’s wanted for a long time. He said he expressed interest in it five years ago, but hit a dead end. When the deal was finalized, the longtime season ticket holder let the people he often shares those seats with know first. There’s an eagerness in his voice and a clear comfort with the product as he embarks on this new challenge.

“They’re very happy, they congratulated me,” he said of delivering the news to his loved ones.

“Our whole family is football fans.”

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 4:19 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Don’t think I ever remember a CFL where the East division is stronger than the West - but it is sure the case this year.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2024, 5:47 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Don’t think I ever remember a CFL where the East division is stronger than the West - but it is sure the case this year.
I'm going to bet that the Worst of the West will best the Least of the East, Saturday night.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 1:08 AM
Community Guy

What an incredible first half for the Elks.

Here's hoping the Hamilton player is ok; it looked bad.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 1:35 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
I'm going to bet that the Worst of the West will best the Least of the East, Saturday night.
You weren’t kidding.
Hope you made a big bet.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 3:11 AM
Community Guy

Three in a row baby and in convincing style.

Rankin is a machine.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 1:48 PM
arf

3-1 to go to 23-21.
1-3 for the coin flips this week.

Looking good, beating the coin flips.

SSK @ TOR: TOR hasn't looked good since Mid-July, but SSK is losing to everyone so TOR.
HAM @ WPG: WPG
BC @ OTT: BC
EDM @ MTL: MTL. You may be three wins in a row, but I'm not saying you are beating MTL. Yet.

Coin flips:
SSK @ TOR: SSK
HAM @ WPG: WPG
BC @ OTT: OTT
EDM @ MTL: EDM

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 1:55 PM
Community Guy

Sounds like Luther (HAM) is generally ok, but a bit tender and thankful that it was not far, far worse.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 1:54 PM
I ask because I Gatineau

Last night's SSK-TOR game was decided by a walk-off rouge.

This has been a long-standing beef of mine. IMO, the single point should only be awarded if the ball bounces in-bounds first or is otherwise playable by the defending team. There should be no reward for missing a FG that is close enough to sail the ball over the back of the endzone on a miss.

Rouge reform now!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 2:53 PM

The ball has crossed the goal line. Therefore a goal (i.e. a single point) has been scored.

This is the same as hockey or soccer. We don't require the ball to hit the ground inside a soccer net.

Be happy that sometimes there is an opportunity to reverse that score, don't be annoyed that sometimes there isn't.

Do you have a problem with the 1 point "behind" in Aussie Rules?

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 3:24 PM
Community Guy

Can the Elks beat the hot Als and go for 4 in a row?!?!?!?!

I think so.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus View Post
There should be no reward for missing a FG that is close enough to sail the ball over the back of the endzone on a miss.
It's not a reward, it is a penalty to the other team for not running the ball out. If you are arguing that they didn't have the opportunity, you might be able to make a case.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 5:01 PM
arf

Quote:

This has been a long-standing beef of mine. IMO, the single point should only be awarded if the ball bounces in-bounds first or is otherwise playable by the defending team. There should be no reward for missing a FG that is close enough to sail the ball over the back of the endzone on a miss.

Rouge reform now!
I can agree with that, but Saskatchewan lost that game on Harris' two interceptions in the first half. 10 points on two bad throws.

Defense deserves a lot of credit for the goal line stops, but Saskatchewan probably lost the game prior to that in reality.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 5:02 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
It's not a reward, it is a penalty to the other team for not running the ball out. If you are arguing that they didn't have the opportunity, you might be able to make a case.
It was straight through into the back wall with no chance to return it. There's definitely a case to be made that it sucks, but outside of the first ten minutes, this wasn't a game Saskatchewan was winning.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 10:46 PM

Sexual predator Chad Kelly gets a win with a missed field goal. Great look CFL.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Sexual predator Chad Kelly gets a win with a missed field goal. Great look CFL.
He served his time troll

Old Posted Aug 23, 2024, 11:57 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:

Rouge reform now!
Totally agree - was thinking the exact same thing today.
How can you penalize a team for not running the ball out when they never had a chance to ?
Terrible way to decide a game.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada