HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Finally. I love the plan (as well as the city plan to add a biking and walking path around the park) and continues the massive improvements in the area. Looking forward to the day expo / USC is connected to downtown with continuous development
It is becoming something of a 'central park' for the city core but with a ton of amenities. I hope the properties immediately abutting Exposition Park get upzoned so single-family homes can be replaced with thin 4-6 story apartment buildings, like what's getting built just west of USC's campus.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 10:25 PM
SUSPENDED

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 10:43 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Finally. I love the plan
And long overdue!

Notice this view of the parking lots to the south of the coliseum...notice the power lines in part of that lot too. This is the type of improvement the ppl managing LA city hall should have taken care of yrs ago.

How long ago did LA host the Olympic games, much less all the other events at the stadium & expo park ever since then?

BestParking

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 11:33 PM
them bones

The new Onni Tower is really filling in the southern part of the skyline...

Untitled by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 16, 2024, 11:51 PM

Will be interesting to see how the top turns out…it looks nothing like the renderings.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 7:10 AM
SUSPENDED

Quote:

connectcre.com

Multiple groups bid Thursday for the unfinished Oceanwide Plaza mixed-use development in Downtown Los Angeles, which was forced into bankruptcy in February of this year, Connect CRE has learned. An auction is scheduled for mid-September.

Industry sources familiar with the sale process told Connect that AEG Worldwide was rumored to be the front runner and had gone as far as retaining the project’s original architect. The development site is proximate to AEG’s LA Live and Crypto.com Arena, which have faced strong competition from the Hollywood Park mega-development in nearby Inglewood. However, AEG was not among the bidders who submitted offers on Thursday.
Funding from Asia was what kicked off work in dtla in 2015...China has more than a few of its own versions of LA's stalled proj. This one was topped off when groundbreaking occurred on Oceanwide Plaza, so it has been abandoned even longer than the proj on Fig St has been.

https://youtube.com/shorts/JdvJlqQgsFs?si=oxdy_6mho0CNFVbO

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 6:18 PM

Would be interesting if AEG took over Oceanwide Plaza, they have the cashflow to do so if the price was right.

I Went to the Intuit Dome last week for opening day. Even with the technical hiccups, Its beautiful. AEG taking over Oceanwide would be a good way for them to revamp the area around Staples ( yes i still call it staples).

The convention center redo cant come fast enough, I can see the area losing a lot of steam now that the Intuit dome is open and things like COSM and other venues start to pull people to Inglewood.

I wonder if they would be able to rework the retail component to add another venue for shows and etc. better return on their investment.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 10:49 PM

It would be the ideal scenario if AEG took over. Maybe they could redo a lot of the second, third and 4th floor retail to be convention / meeting space and perhaps a COSM of their own in there while still keeping the ground floor retail space available for restaurants and bars.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 3:08 AM
them bones

Not the best photo, but one of Onni from Spire 73:

IMG_2824 by Michael Stroh, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 5:30 AM

Quote:
It would be the ideal scenario if AEG took over. Maybe they could redo a lot of the second, third and 4th floor retail to be convention / meeting space and perhaps a COSM of their own in there while still keeping the ground floor retail space available for restaurants and bars.
That's a great idea...let's hope it's being discussed by those in the know.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 9:25 PM

Not sure if it's been posted but I noticed last evening the crown is now lit.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 11:10 PM

May be cheesy but LA needs more lit Crowns. I prefer a lit crown over a corporate sign any day. (unless its LED like The WG).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMBY Slayer View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but I noticed last evening the crown is now lit.

I can’t tell…what tower is this?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
I can’t tell…what tower is this?
I assume it's Alloy.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I assume it's Alloy.
Oh ok…makes sense.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 2:26 AM

I’m a longtime downtown resident and lurker of this board. We need a concerted effort to clean up our downtown and city as a whole. We’ve seen dramatic increase in the amount graffiti and vandalism. If we want our downtown to be bustling and our Convention Center expansion to be a success we need to clean our city up and arrest the parasites who are damaging our city. This is not normal nor sustainable. We have a beautiful city and people need to respect it.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 3:42 PM
SUSPENDED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLA902 View Post
We need a concerted effort to clean up our downtown and city as a whole. We’ve seen dramatic increase in the amount graffiti and vandalism.

therealdeal

Quote:
The Canadian real estate firm is suing Nexstar Media Group over a $95 million deal for a building in Downtown Los Angeles that fell apart, claiming the television network must return its $30 million deposit, according to a court complaint filed with Los Angeles Superior Court earlier this month.

Onni offered to buy 222 West 2nd Street, a property once part of the Los Angeles Times’ campus in Downtown Los Angeles, before the newspaper moved to El Segundo in 2018.

The site was dually entitled for one of two projects — either a 55-story, 680-unit apartment tower or a roughly 530,000-square-foot office project, according to marketing materials for the project. Onni was willing to build either — but was attracted to the property given it was supposed to be near a planned public park, funded and designed by the City of Los Angeles. But in 2023, the city decided to redevelop the parcel into housing for the homeless.

The city’s decision spurred Onni from wanting to build on the site, the firm said in its complaint, and constitutes a “material change in circumstances” and justifies the return of the $30 million deposit.

"Onni has still not broken ground on this portion of the campus even though purchased in 2016, in no small part to the rising crime and homeless issues in Downtown Los Angeles,” the firm said in its complaint.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 5:34 PM

Such a sad loss, I really loved that development. Civic Center area desperately needs more housing.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLA902 View Post
I’m a longtime downtown resident and lurker of this board. We need a concerted effort to clean up our downtown and city as a whole. We’ve seen dramatic increase in the amount graffiti and vandalism. If we want our downtown to be bustling and our Convention Center expansion to be a success we need to clean our city up and arrest the parasites who are damaging our city. This is not normal nor sustainable. We have a beautiful city and people need to respect it.
As a longtime resident, you have clearly seen the growth of DTLA. With all of the crime and homeless of DTLA...DTLA continues to grow with more residential towers, hotels, high end restaurants, etc. etc. It seems odd that your first comment on this board to be what you stated. There is a ton of room for improvement in DTLA and LA in general. No matter, what people say on the news, in article, etc. The fact is that DTLA has improved drastically within the past decade and hasn't been this at least in the past 30 plus years. I'm going to call BS and I'm sure you are just citywatch (so sad).

Old Posted Aug 22, 2024, 6:15 PM

Wait is Times Mirror Square dead, or just stalled? I was really hoping that would be the next Onni project to break ground. I was just at Grand Central Market this morning and thinking about it.

Edit: The article seems to be talking about the Tribune Media Tower, but I am not sure if it is saying that is dead along with the Onni one or not. Either way, absolutely disgusting. That is some of the most prime land in the city and to have it go to waste is just beyond depressing.

Last edited by Doctorboffin; Aug 22, 2024 at 6:30 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations