HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 12:50 AM

TransLink tower connecting to Arbutus Station approved

Vancouver City Council approves TransLink's first rental housing project, located at Arbutus SkyTrain station

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skyt...dway-vancouver

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/skyt...dway-vancouver

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 2:19 AM

It was interesting to walk along West 8th in Fairview and see that while at least one low-rise strata was getting a new rain screen, two had realtor boards offering the entire strata building for sale for redevelopment. I guess there won't be too many more renovations if buildings start to sell.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2024, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
It was interesting to walk along West 8th in Fairview and see that while at least one low-rise strata was getting a new rain screen, two had realtor boards offering the entire strata building for sale for redevelopment. I guess there won't be too many more renovations if buildings start to sell.
One friend in a building on West 13th near VGH said their strata is wondering whether to undertake expensive renos.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 2:11 AM

396 E 2nd Ave rezoning application

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/396-e-2-ave

Old Posted Jul 28, 2024, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
396 E 2nd Ave rezoning application

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/396-e-2-ave
Oh, I really like that. Love the look of the terraced glass.

I frequently visit friends who live across from Bar Susu (RIP The Whip) and I think this section of Main St. is really up and coming. Love the neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Sometimes the quality of the sidewalk work is sketchy when the developer does it
- like at the Vancouver Centre II driveway or at the Deloitte Summit entrance steps.
The new sidewalk around Butterfly already has a giant crack in one section and they just poured it.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
The new sidewalk around Butterfly already has a giant crack in one section and they just poured it.
Concrete is still curing long after it is poured. 28 days is the gold standard for reaching 'final' cure, but within the first days, and even weeks, it's still quite brittle and suspectable to damage like you described if some dummy drove a work truck up onto the sidewalk.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 6:39 PM

New submissions.

324 W 10th Ave
Quote:
New 19-storey residential rental concrete tower
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=232939064

43 E 15th Ave
Quote:
The new development project proposes to rezone the sites from RM-4 to CD-1 to permit the development of a 20-storey residential building with 200 secured-rental residential units, of which 20% of the floor area will be secured as below-market rental.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=232806274

2090 W 1st Ave
Quote:
Rezone from RM-4 to CD-1 to permit a 20-storey mixed-use building with additional height for rooftop amenity, ground floor retail, 176 rental units, 20% of which are proposed as below-market under the Broadway Plan (KKNB). A height of 65.1 m and an FSR of 6.8 are proposed. Application recently submitted. Staff preparing notification.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=236793446

1375 W 14th Ave
Quote:
Rezone from RM-3 to CD-1 to allow for the development of a 20-storey rental building with 203 units under the B.Plan. An FSR of 7.2 incl. 10% heritage bonus. Part of the site is a VHR ‘C’ listed building. Retention measures are proposed. Application recently submitted. Staff preparing notification.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=236891491

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
On public property would be the case of a City inspector and there is a decent warranty period as well that a developer would be on the hook for. For the works on the private property (on my projects anyway) someone from the City just comes down making sure we followed the original design. Quality control is on us.

Ideally the City uses taxes and does it in phases (like every other city) or the take funds from the developer and build large cohesive chunks at a time.

Looks like we'll get neither, unfortunately.

For instance 1477 Granville will have 4 metre wide sidewalks, so that might be the widest we'll see right at the intersections. I also imagine the plan is to close the alley to the west of 1476 W Broadway.
This is how it's worked on projects with which I've been involved. You submit plans to the city for sidewalk/laneway/street lighting/any offsite works as part of development plans, they approve the plans (I assume in line with their neighborhood expectation and technical requirements), you provide a deposit or letter of credit and then once the works are complete they inspect and release your deposit or letter of credit back to you. If you don't complete it to plan they don't release funds back. Saves the City having to find someone to contract and do the work and probably ends up being cheaper.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlonde View Post
This is how it's worked on projects with which I've been involved. You submit plans to the city for sidewalk/laneway/street lighting/any offsite works as part of development plans, they approve the plans (I assume in line with their neighborhood expectation and technical requirements), you provide a deposit or letter of credit and then once the works are complete they inspect and release your deposit or letter of credit back to you. If you don't complete it to plan they don't release funds back. Saves the City having to find someone to contract and do the work and probably ends up being cheaper.
I understand, but money is not the point i think. If you want to build a sidewalk in a street the whole point is to have...a sidewalk.

Like i said, even if somehow you get a complete redevelopment of 70-80% of a street you still end up with a frankenstein sidewalk with different sizes, layout, etc. The end product just doesn't make any sense.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 7:42 PM

Seems like all the Broadway submissions are coming at a good time? They'll be beginning development at a time when interest rates will be lower, and as they are all rentals they don't have to worry about the pre-construction sale market.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 8:55 PM

People will start complaining about the Broadway Corridor tabletop at 19-20 storeys.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 9:03 PM

Densities are in the 30 to 40 storey range around stations though, so the plateau effect would be less pronounced.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
Densities are in the 30 to 40 storey range around stations though, so the plateau effect would be less pronounced.
Ah, good point.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessioSBT View Post
I understand, but money is not the point i think. If you want to build a sidewalk in a street the whole point is to have...a sidewalk.

Like i said, even if somehow you get a complete redevelopment of 70-80% of a street you still end up with a frankenstein sidewalk with different sizes, layout, etc. The end product just doesn't make any sense.
Not much you can do to existing buildings setbacks though. I imagine the City would consider updating sidewalks if there was no chance of near term development on some sites/they were undevelopable, or they may require neighboring developments to update sidewalks of buildings that won't be getting developed any time soon as part of a direct CAC or a requirement of development/building permits.
The current system means the City still specs the technical requirements and design of the sidewalk, you just get the developer managing the process directly instead of the City which I think is probably more efficient.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlonde View Post
Not much you can do to existing buildings setbacks though. I imagine the City would consider updating sidewalks if there was no chance of near term development on some sites/they were undevelopable, or they may require neighboring developments to update sidewalks of buildings that won't be getting developed any time soon as part of a direct CAC or a requirement of development/building permits.
The current system means the City still specs the technical requirements and design of the sidewalk, you just get the developer managing the process directly instead of the City which I think is probably more efficient.
The broadway plan is 30 years. 30 years to have a half-made sidewalk that the city needs to complete because you know from the beginning it's impossible that 100% of the buldings can be redeveloped.
Like i said, small town in the middle of nowhere, 50k people in it, similar street, everything done in 1 year by the city.

There is no way that our system can be defined "efficient".

Cheaper doesn't mean that it makes sense if you don't actually get the product. It's like you need a car to go to work, the car costs 50k and the dealer tells you "i can do 5k, 10 times less, but you get it in half a century, in the meantime you walk".

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
The broadway plan is 30 years. 30 years to have a half-made sidewalk that the city needs to complete because you know from the beginning it's impossible that 100% of the buldings can be redeveloped.
Like i said, small town in the middle of nowhere, 50k people in it, similar street, everything done in 1 year by the city.

There is no way that our system can be defined "efficient".

Cheaper doesn't mean that it makes sense if you don't actually get the product. It's like you need a car to go to work, the car costs 50k and the dealer tells you "i can do 5k, 10 times less, but you get it in half a century, in the meantime you walk".
Sorry I thought you were referring to the sidewalks in the entire Broadway plan area, not just on Broadway itself. Any area close to the new skytrain stations where they currently have the plating system over the open underground works below will have the cost of road and sidewalk construction, after the station works are completed, included in that or the related development budget. That covers a few large strips and those will only be completed when the station work is completed. There are some big developments due to start work in the coming couple years, especially between Willow and Arbutus, those will likely have the offsite works covered by the developer. I imagine the City, and its rate paying residents, won't want a vast sum of money spent trying to get it updated overnight when they can wait for it to be completed over 5 to 10 years for a significantly lower amount. I'd prefer they do large sections so it's not changing block to block, or even mid-block. It might be that we get Cambie to Arbutus updated first, then they do Cambie to Main.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 8:44 PM

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

https://d2wsxqxx9m1aa9.cloudfront.ne...yc29874lr6kxz6

Old Posted Aug 2, 2024, 9:17 PM

Building permit in for new light industrial/office on West 8th/Alberta

https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=237534287

https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/288-w-8-ave

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver