HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:20 PM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlessioSBT View Post
I was in Broadway yesterday.
At the intersection between Broadway and cambie, where the RBC branch is, there was a small encampment of homeless people with trash and needles everywhere and a couple of people basically dead.
I don't exaggerate if i say that it had "hasting" vibes.

This is because the area of the sidewalk in front of the rbc branch is very "deep" and it creates a small covered zone.

What i don't understand is how is that possibile between a bank branch and a whole foods. And i noticed that on cambie you can often find people passed out in front of canadian tire or home depot.

Do you think it's because of the skytrain construction?
Or it was like this even before?

It was bad like that back in 2022 as well. I hadn't noticed it much recently, but I guess it's still a thing. I chock it up to remnants of the fallout from COVID. It became pretty common to see groups of users packed together throughout cities in North America. It's weird to see it in that area though.

I was at that RBC getting some insurance a couple of years ago, and watched people smoke and inject fentanyl through the window while talking with the customer service rep. I had just moved back to Canada from East Asia, and was like "Damn. Things sure have changed since 2019."

It's a really sad thing to see, and the trash that's left behind is gross. It's always a pile of clothes, plastic wrappers, half-eaten food and drug paraphernalia. And it's always wet.

It breaks my heart to see my fellow man and woman reduced to this state. It truly looks like they're living in some kind of drug-addled purgatory. I've never seen a more unhealthy-looking and dejected human being than one addicted to fentanyl. I hate that drug so much.

Last edited by giallo; Jul 19, 2024 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
At the intersection between Broadway and cambie, where the RBC branch is, there was a small encampment of homeless people with trash and needles everywhere and a couple of people basically dead.

This is because the area of the sidewalk in front of the rbc branch is very "deep" and it creates a small covered zone.

What i don't understand is how is that possibile between a bank branch and a whole foods. And i noticed that on cambie you can often find people passed out in front of canadian tire or home depot.

If you can't force hard-core addicts into a bus and send them off to a cold-turkey facility, this phenomenon is only going to grow with the ever-increasing drug potency and depression around these people. Violation of human rights they say? Well, I say using very harmful substances should not be part of a human right. Murder is considered a crime, and committing suicide/self harm should be considered as one too.

Drug pushers should be treated as manslaughters: they are murderous profiteers so to speak. Hardcore pushers and smugglers should get life in prison.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:30 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:

That area was sketchy pre-Canada line. Was better between 2009 to 2016 or so but has since gotten worse with more crime, open drug usage, thefts, tents...etc.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Probably a bit of everything. Lax attitudes and “decrim” have been a total failure for your average law abiding citizen. Our cities are worse off for it.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 4:45 PM

That area provides 'free' access to air-conditioned public transit.. just hop on and cool down!

Ron.

Last edited by NewfBC; Jul 20, 2024 at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2024, 9:07 PM

As someone who has walked past that intersection nearly every day for over a decade, I'm surprised to hear it referred to as "sketchy," especially in the pre-pandemic times, and downright floored anyone would compare it to E Hastings.

Between 2013 and 2020, there may have been the occasional unhoused person sitting at the McDonalds, or holding the door open for people at the Oak St 7-11, but I can't recall ever seeing open drug use, or having felt uncomfortable, even late at night.

After the pandemic, yeah, the presence of visible homelessness increased, largely limited to the area around the McDonalds, and Henry's camera store. What also changed is the open drug use, though I've yet to walk past anyone shooting up, I've seen a few people sharing crackpipes/tinfoil on more than one occasion.

However, I don't see this everyday, and overall things seem to be getting better, or at least there appears to be less groups of people/individuals on the street.

TLDR, in my opinion the Broadway Corridor is a generally safe place to be. I wouldn't walk the industrial areas alone after midnight, but Cambie through Granville feels comfortable to me, and my partner. Frankly, the comparison to E Hastings is mind boggling/extremely hyperbolic. With that said, let the conspiracy theories fly about why work takes me near city hall, & the planning department every week day.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 4:21 PM

McDonald's recently removed their outdoor seating as vagrants were occupying it too much of the time.

I'm in the area a lot and haven't noticed much difference pre and post COVID to be honest. Always a few people on the corners or moving by, but nothing close to "camping" IMO.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 8:22 PM

Spent a few days in Van, aside from the DTES, the public disorder there didn't seem bad at all. I see more junkies all over the place here than I did there. DTES is something though, holy hell what a crazy place.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2024, 8:56 PM

My two cents re: City Hall - the RBC door is under renovation and the sidewalk outside the Wendy's smells horrible. That's about it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:20 PM

in addition 2 women's bodies have also been found in recent days at English Bay.

3 men stabbed in Vancouver within minutes of each other: police
Police say a suspect has been arrested and is in custody
CBC News · Posted: Jul 23, 2024

The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) says it received three reports of people being stabbed within minutes of each other Monday night.

At 9:40 p.m. PT, VPD responded to reports that a 33-year-old man had been stabbed in the back on Granville Street, near Nelson Street, police said Tuesday in a statement.

Minutes later, police got another call that a 41-year-old man had been stabbed near Granville and Davie Street.

Police said a 32-year-old man was stabbed near Nelson and Granville Street around 9:52 p.m. as patrol officers were responding. It's unclear what the men's injuries are, but police say they are recovering.

A suspect was arrested downtown and is currently in custody, according to police. They have not released any details about the suspect and continue to investigate.

"There is no indication that any of the victims knew each other or the suspect," police said.

'Deeply unsettling': mayor
Mayor Ken Sim issued a statement about the stabbings and also referenced the two women found dead near English Bay earlier this week, calling both incidents "deeply unsettling."

"Though these incidents are unrelated, they have shaken our community. My heartfelt thoughts are with the victims and their families during this extremely challenging time," Sim said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...lice-1.7272754

two bodies found

Quote:
It happened on the same day that police said a woman's body was found on the south side of English Bay, after the body of another woman was found on the opposite shore just a day earlier.

Police have said the causes of death for the unidentified women have not been determined and investigators are working to determine whether a crime occurred and if there's a connection between the deaths.

Mayor Ken Sim says the events have shaken the community, and the safety of every Vancouverite is the city's commitment to its residents and visitors.
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/deaths-wom...waTwtNi7hWhJ9I

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 11:23 PM

The Granville Strip, is anyone surprised? What could be more "entertaining" than random stabbings. I wonder if they came from the drug site on Howe?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Spent a few days in Van, aside from the DTES, the public disorder there didn't seem bad at all. I see more junkies all over the place here than I did there. DTES is something though, holy hell what a crazy place.
Sorry to subject you to this: a great failure of Vancouver indeed. The new ABC government is taking steps to address the problems that their predecessors neglected, but I must admit that this is very challenging, especially with Provincial as well as Federal politics at play.

I am hoping the City of Calgary will not be heading towards the same trajectory as Vancouver like some other Canadian cities are: A little concern previously seeing the growth in addicts loitering in the City Hall/downtown library area, as well as East Village. Recent reports from Alberta have been positive, citing that the focus on recovery (eg. Cold Turkey) has indeed dropped the death rate in Fentanyl/Opiod use.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2024, 10:28 PM
Joshua B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
Sorry to subject you to this: a great failure of Vancouver indeed. The new ABC government is taking steps to address the problems that their predecessors neglected, but I must admit that this is very challenging, especially with Provincial as well as Federal politics at play.

I am hoping the City of Calgary will not be heading towards the same trajectory as Vancouver like some other Canadian cities are: A little concern previously seeing the growth in addicts loitering in the City Hall/downtown library area, as well as East Village. Recent reports from Alberta have been positive, citing that the focus on recovery (eg. Cold Turkey) has indeed dropped the death rate in Fentanyl/Opiod use.
It was so weird seeing left leaning people in the 2010s clamour for civil liberties and state their opposition to involuntary care. The supposed answer was easier and quicker access to drugs and cheap SRO housing without much checks or care. What a fucking disaster.

The true answer continues to be a hard stance against drugs and the re-opening of involuntary care institutions... but both the right and left seem to be against any sort of new "Riverview."

Old Posted Jul 29, 2024, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logicbomb View Post
It was so weird seeing left leaning people in the 2010s clamour for civil liberties and state their opposition to involuntary care. The supposed answer was easier and quicker access to drugs and cheap SRO housing without much checks or care. What a fucking disaster.

The true answer continues to be a hard stance against drugs and the re-opening of involuntary care institutions... but both the right and left seem to be against any sort of new "Riverview."
I always have a sneaky suspicion that the decision makers have been drying up funding to instruments necessary in getting addicts and other mentally-ill people cared for and recover because of the fact that the healthcare and related industries have been sucking in way too much tax-payer money over the decades due to Union and worker's excessive monetary demands and executives lining their own pockets. Then as this dragged along, there was a realization that the funding system would never be sustainable as there just wasn't enough to go around for everyone. Hence, rather than belt-tightening, the most logical way to solve the problem was to stop treating patients, let them loose and close down institutions, with the pretext that this is the most humane way in line with liberal principles. It is all a farce because no one is accountable for this. We are still feeling the aftermath effects of such a corrupt system. This vicious cycle will never end as long as those in charge are not held accountable.

The most recent Metro Vancouver's North treatment plant scandal involving cost overruns of more than $3 billion is just another example.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 1:06 AM

Heard this on the radio just now, cannot find a shareable version, but a woman was walking with her one year old to David Lam park the other day and some random guy was yelling and swearing so she walked a different way to avoid the man, and than he kept following her and said he was gonna get her, she screamed for help and others came to help her, apparently the guy than harrased another couple with children and had earlier in the morning attacked a security guard, he was caught but was left go as there are no charges, yet, but the woman says she is wanting to get out of Vancouver as she no longer feels safe walking in her city.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2024, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post

We will see if the treatment option actually works. I think the answer is a combination of harm reduction and treatment, but idealist governments just finger point and grandstand and the problem only seems to get worse. What's really needed is better mental healthcare and way to get to people before they end up hooked on meth or fentanyl.

If you want to see something super depressing, go past the tent city in Kelowna. Was 40 degrees when I drove past there on my way to the beach, and I almost threw up in my car from the smell of the place.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
in addition 2 women's bodies have also been found in recent days at English Bay.

3 men stabbed in Vancouver within minutes of each other: police
Police say a suspect has been arrested and is in custody
CBC News · Posted: Jul 23, 2024

The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) says it received three reports of people being stabbed within minutes of each other Monday night.

Wow, what a surprise, the suspect has a rap sheet:

....In an official statement Wednesday, Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the suspect was out on bail for a previous assault charge when the stabbing happened.

“The fact that this attack was again carried out by a repeat offender, someone well-known to the police with numerous previous charges, highlights a serious issue we need to address,” said Sim.

“[The suspect] was on probation for an assault with a weapon charge from Sept. 2023 and had breached probation conditions earlier this year.”

Sim says the man was still on probation when he allegedly carried out the attack, adding that it’s not the first time that a “repeat offender from outside Vancouver has breached their probation and carried out a violent assault.” ...

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2024/0...bbing-charges/

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 12:29 AM

Not surprising, revolving door of justice.

---

I was at Walmart in Surrey Central last night, and while waiting in the cashier line a guy, kinda druggie/homeless looking but not really, walked past and he had what looked like a big bag full of stuff he just took, I am assuming, he was walking with a purpose to get out of the store, no one attempted to stop him, but you see it often at that store, people just walk out without paying. That store is crazy, it's like the outside is a mini Hastings Street and the inside is just packed, that store is always crazy busy.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 2:14 PM

Restaurants in downtown Vancouver fed-up with street disorder chaos

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 9, 2024, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Restaurants in downtown Vancouver fed-up with street disorder chaos
Just as bad in Victoria apparently. And what a surprise, this guy was out on bail too.

Crab and go: Thief smashes restaurant window to grab crab, returns to throw a smoke bomb

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues