HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
History will likely show that Alberta (the land of anti-Liberalism), will have benefited the most from JT. He will have secured a major export channel for Alberta crude to markets in Asia bypassing the US.

As the US cracks down on trade with China this may well become even more critical to the Canadian oil sector than it is now. This may well be the only distribution channel Canada has to get oil to China.

I know, sad but true. JT (over the objection of British Columbia) has had us accept increased environmental risk to benefit a limited number in the Alberta oil sector. He will be punished in BC for that decision.

I don't think the carbon tax in BC or Quebec is going anywhere.
The pipeline adds 600,000 barrels a day which is significant though not game change. With the cost overuns from Liberal wokenss and in fairness general inflation it won't end up being much cheaper than exporting by rail though it will be cheaper as you say to China. It will benefit us all not having as much going by rail and the extra income benefits us all as well.

Quebec barely has a carbon tax though they have excise taxes predating carbon.

BC is hard to predict. Aren't you headed for a new right wing government going to watch prices plummet in the rest of the country? Seems destined to fall as well though the revenue it brings in makes the decision more complicated.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Legalizing weed, Dental care for all, should be the carbon tax but we assume PP will axe it.
So he chose not to prosecute a recreational pursuit, Most Dental Professionals are not participating or only covering 40% of primary care ( that was the notice on my dentists office the other day),and the Carbon tax is literally going to be voted away.

I will give your boy these credits. He did not Kill the National Shipbuilding program, He survived the Trump administrations bullying and he rebuilt a very good chunk of your RCAF. That's the Organization TrueNorth works for every day. Gee all Federal responsibilities. That list is a collection of substantial policies.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
The pipeline adds 600,000 barrels a day which is significant though not game change. With the cost overuns from Liberal wokenss and in fairness general inflation it won't end up being much cheaper than exporting by rail though it will be cheaper as you say to China. It will benefit us all not having as much going by rail and the extra income benefits us all as well.
We are going to have to wait to see how the relationship between the US and China pans out. As well as the US view on Canadian crude that transits the US. The US is energy sufficient and does not need out crude. Exactly how a Trump 2.0 government looks at all of this is a big question mark. Trans-mountain provides an alternative export path.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Quebec barely has a carbon tax though they have excise taxes predating carbon.

BC is hard to predict. Aren't you headed for a new right wing government going to watch prices plummet in the rest of the country? Seems destined to fall as well though the revenue it brings in makes the decision more complicated.
BC carbon tax is for the most part returned as rebate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
So he chose not to prosecute a recreational pursuit, Most Dental Professionals are not participating or only covering 40% of primary care ( that was the notice on my dentists office the other day),and the Carbon tax is literally going to be voted away.
Harper was deliberating holding back funds under the ship building program to ensure the budget remained balanced. That was pushing out delivery schedules and driving up total program costs in the process. But the optics looked better short term. The liberals have not played those games.

Quote:
I will give your boy these credits. He did not Kill the National Shipbuilding program, He survived the Trump administrations bullying and he rebuilt a very good chunk of your RCAF. That's the Organization TrueNorth works for every day. Gee all Federal responsibilities. That list is a collection of substantial policies.
Yes all true.

He also forced the provinces to come to terms with international students at the institutions that the accredit. The feds imposed limits on the number of foreign students and told the provinces they have to decide who the acceptance letters go out to. Forcing the provinces to come to terms with their responsibilities.

Here in BC post-secondary institutions are now capped at 30% foreign students. For the three major universities in the province they were always below that number. Some of the smaller institutions were a bit over. For example Kwantlen Polytechnic University was at 36%. They are now being forced to adjust.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...-total-9230235

Last edited by casper; Jul 19, 2024 at 2:04 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 4:34 AM

Quote:
Austerity has arrived for anyone that has recently renewed their mortgage or will in the next two years.The Liberals have spent too much with nothing to show for it and all their economic plans are 18-24 months too late to help folks.
My God even Mulroney built the Bridge to P.E.I.. What will Trudeau's legacy be?
The new Champlain Bridge in Montreal was built during JT's time as PM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 5:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
They weren't running on austerity until recently. It was their post-COVID recovery plan. They went through how many PMs and now got turfed.
They’ve been “running on” austerity since the GFC.

Quote:
I don’t think dental care will last either. It’s also a bit much calling it dental care for all. Isnt it just dental care for boomers?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 5:20 AM

Quote:
He also forced the provinces to come to terms with international students at the institutions that the accredit. The feds imposed limits on the number of foreign students and told the provinces they have to decide who the acceptance letters go out to. Forcing the provinces to come to terms with their responsibilities.

Here in BC post-secondary institutions are now capped at 30% foreign students. For the three major universities in the province they were always below that number. Some of the smaller institutions were a bit over. For example Kwantlen Polytechnic University was at 36%. They are now being forced to adjust.

https://www.timescolonist.com/local-...-total-9230235
His legacy is going to be dragging his feet to correct a problem that he created? We’re really scraping the bottom of the barrel here, aren’t we?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 7:57 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Harper was deliberating holding back funds under the ship building program to ensure the budget remained balanced. That was pushing out delivery schedules and driving up total program costs in the process. But the optics looked better short term. The liberals have not played those games.
You have said this a number of times, so can you provide examples as I am not aware of any action by the Conservatives to delay anything NSBP related.

FTR, NSBP was announced in 2010, with umbrella contracts to Seaspan and ISI in 2012. AOPS was awarded to ISI in 2015, and Seaspan was given a number of preparatory contracts starting in 2014. While not technically part of NSBP, Davie was also greenlit on the Asterix work in late 2014. Current CSC delays have nothing to do anything the Conservatives did; The draft RFPs were given to industry in 2014 with the formal RFP issued in 2016 with selection in late 2018. The schedule delays we are now seeing on CSC are driven primarily by continuous design changes plus issues like the role of FMS.

As for playing games on military procurement, the LPC did delay JSF for personal reasons and wasted a billion plus dollars for OBE aircraft and up to a decade delay in capability delivery.

No, I don't think that the current LPC have anything on Harper's reign for defence. Yes more money is being spent today, but almost all the big procurement is for programs where the PMO was stood up pre-2015. Can you name a single big procurement that DND is pursuing today where the "program" started under the current government's watch??

Do something about your future.

Last edited by shreddog; Jul 19, 2024 at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 8:05 AM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
His legacy is going to be dragging his feet to correct a problem that he created?
I guess the logic is that since he created the problem, he's best qualified to try and fix it?

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 9:54 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I guess the logic is that since he created the problem, he's best qualified to try and fix it?
JT isn’t even qualified to be a dog walker.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
It's trolling bad faith bullshit to start qualifying examples to fit your narrative.

We went from, "The Americans barely build anything, "Well, except for this and this and this."

I stand by earlier assertion on your misinformation efforts.
You really think painting a few lanes, which is generally what US BRT's, and not true BRT's is true transit infrastructure to what Canada has been doing for the last 10 years.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Austerity has arrived for anyone that has recently renewed their mortgage or will in the next two years. The Liberals have spent too much with nothing to show for it and all their economic plans are 18-24 months too late to help folks.
My God even Mulroney built the Bridge to P.E.I.. What will Trudeau's legacy be?
$10 daycare, the increase to the childcare benefits, which has brought down child poverty greatly and massive improvement in the water systems of first nations are some of his biggest wins in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:43 AM

Quote:

over a million Canadian area already using the dental care program and eligibly will continue to grow a lot by next year.

PP will have to make a good case why he wants to eliminate dental care to millions of Canadians who have any other dental coverage.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
You really think painting a few lanes, which is generally what US BRT's, and not true BRT's is true transit infrastructure to what Canada has been doing for the last 10 years.
You started our by saying they don't build much. Then said HSR (which Canada has never even attempted to build) doesn't count. Now you're saying their transit projects shouldn't count because they are not "true BRT". You lied in the beginning, possibly out of ignorance, and now you're doubling down, by trying to discount all their projects that make your lying evident. Troll.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
You started our by saying they don't build much. Then said HSR (which Canada has never even attempted to build) doesn't count. Now you're saying their transit projects shouldn't count because they are not "true BRT". You lied in the beginning, possibly out of ignorance, and now you're doubling down, by trying to discount all their projects that make your lying evident. Troll.
I was obviously talking about rail infrastructure not the worst versions of BRT's which the US is building. I didn't mention Canadian BRT system either since they are also sub-optimal in their own ways, ie York's VIVA lines.

Regarding Florida's HSR, sorry I don't see why Canadian should be envious of spending the Americans $5 billion USD to serve 7,000 passengers a day when we are building several metro lines currently to serves 100,000's of passengers a day.

Last edited by Nite; Jul 19, 2024 at 11:23 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
The new Champlain Bridge in Montreal was built during JT's time as PM.
Such projects are so long they almost always see changes in government.

The QC Third Link, for example, which is totally the CAQ’s Pet Project, and opposed and disliked by all other parties, if it went ahead it would get inaugurated by a different government, that’s almost guaranteed. The credit should go to the guys who made it happen, not to the guys who cut the ribbon.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Regarding Florida's HSR, sorry I don't see why Canadian should be envious of spending the Americans $5 billion USD to serve 7,000 passengers a day when we are building several metro lines currently to serves 100,000's of passengers a day.
You probably have a hard time with “complex” notions like per capita stuff, but with transit the useful metric is how much cars*kilometers it takes off the roads. HSR that takes people from Miami to Orlando eliminates lot more kilometers than city lines that take people to work a few blocks away. Absolute amount of people served isn’t a good metric. Especially if they’d bike or walk anyway if local transit was shittier. While with long-distance HSR in FL, everyone who takes that would have driven instead.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:47 AM

Quote:
$10 daycare, the increase to the childcare benefits, which has brought down child poverty greatly and massive improvement in the water systems of first nations are some of his biggest wins in my opinion.
After 9 years of JT, poverty is higher than ever and still climbing (to say nothing of skyrocketing homelessness and skyrocketing food bank use, which are two of the main legacy items of JT along with legalizing weed).

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:48 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
After 9 years of JT, poverty is higher than ever and still climbing (to say nothing of skyrocketing homelessness and skyrocketing food bank use, which are two of the main legacy items of JT along with legalizing weed).
Pot, soup kitchens and tent encampments in all our major cities - thanks JT.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I was obviously talking about rail infrastructure...
Ahhh yes.."I'll talk about rail infrastructure but exclude the most complex and expensive type of rail infrastructure because it doesn't suit my narrative."

Do you know why HSR is important? It cuts down on flying and driving. Substantially reducing emissions and road wear and freeing up airport space.

By your logic, Canada has better public transport than Japan. After all they don't build much LRT there. But they have lots of HSR.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2024, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
You probably have a hard time with “complex” notions like per capita stuff, but with transit the useful metric is how much cars*kilometers it takes off the roads. HSR that takes people from Miami to Orlando eliminates lot more kilometers than city lines that take people to work a few blocks away. Absolute amount of people served isn’t a good metric. Especially if they’d bike or walk anyway if local transit was shittier. While with long-distance HSR in FL, everyone who takes that would have driven instead.
It's bad faith bullshit. He should be banned for it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada