HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
That'd simply be kicking the can down the road. From what I understand many of the systems being overhauled are from the original construction 100+ years ago. I know you didn't suggest demolishing it but look at the state of 24 Sussex as an example of what happens when administration after administration turn a blind eye and let things deteriorate.

The timing is unfortunate as far as the current economic climate and political discourse around public spending while families are struggling, but I'd imagine these plans were drafted well before any of this came to light.
There is never a good time to waste taxpayer dollars. There are literally tens of thousands of 100+ year old similar structures around the world. Probably dozens of parliaments of similar ages. In a city like Budapest there are probably a hundred buildings of similar age and historic nature. There are of course cheaper ways to restore buildings. Perhaps less authentic and certainly that don't all for a US style security all underground in a giant pit but let's not pretend that is really neccessary. We won't be able to bring huge number of tourists through parliament anyway.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Perhaps less authentic and certainly that don't all for a US style security all underground in a giant pit but let's not pretend that is really neccessary. We won't be able to bring huge number of tourists through parliament anyway.
The number of visitors to the Centre Block of the Canadian Parliament, and the number of visitors to the United States Capitol, are... quite similar.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
There is never a good time to waste taxpayer dollars. There are literally tens of thousands of 100+ year old similar structures around the world. Probably dozens of parliaments of similar ages. In a city like Budapest there are probably a hundred buildings of similar age and historic nature. There are of course cheaper ways to restore buildings. Perhaps less authentic and certainly that don't all for a US style security all underground in a giant pit but let's not pretend that is really neccessary. We won't be able to bring huge number of tourists through parliament anyway.
I just don’t think value engineering a facelift of a national icon is a wise decision. I understand there’s vitriol towards institutions like Parliament Hill after events like the Convoy and Jan 6th, but let’s wait until the next government takes office and re-assess how we feel about it. And I don’t understand the last line - do you mean because of security constraints or because of an inability to attract tourists? Because the former would be addressed by the screening capacity upgrades and you’d know the latter is just plain untrue if you’ve ever visited.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTcrawler View Post
I just don’t think value engineering a facelift of a national icon is a wise decision. I understand there’s vitriol towards institutions like Parliament Hill after events like the Convoy and Jan 6th, but let’s wait until the next government takes office and re-assess how we feel about it. And I don’t understand the last line - do you mean because of security constraints or because of an inability to attract tourists? Because the former would be addressed by the screening capacity upgrades and you’d know the latter is just plain untrue if you’ve ever visited.
We shouldn't replace it with stucco for sure. I think you make a point the renovation can help the instituion but I just don't know if that is true.

Security constraints, timing etc always mean you get 100 parliament hill tourists for every one that goes in. Like a lot of famous churches the best view is the outside. 10 years of no view no Canada day cost more tourists a parliament hill experience than will ever enter parliament through the new mechanism.

Last edited by YOWetal; Jul 17, 2024 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 9:53 PM
Busy Beaver

None of the buildings on Parliament Hill had air conditioning which is why they had courtyards for ventilation. Before the reno they were still using window units in some rooms. There's no way you can do this update cheaply, these buildings just need to be brought into the 21st century. I can just imagine the mess of wiring and plumbing from a century ago.

We are technically getting a brand new museum built underground, not just a visitors centre. It will include exhibits on how the government and political system works in Canada. Just looking at the current level of awareness, there are a lot of Canadians that need to be better educated on this subject.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Just ask the people of Winnipeg if they'd like their old city hall back today.
Would you like your old City Hall back?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
And the White House is pretty well entirely pastiche; let alone what happened during the War of 1812, the place was gutted to the studs and then some, and rebuilt inside out, in recent history. Centre Block is (was) more historic from a purely physical existence standpoint than the White House.
Yes sir. This is what it looked like during part of Truman's time in office.

There's a whole Wikipedia article on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...Reconstruction

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa