HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I don't know if the grocery chains will want to refit that space given there is both a Sobeys and a Superstore a short distance away. I think the only hope for that is if a new entrant comes to the area.
I think that's right, and Loblaw already abandoned that space once when they opened the Superstore on Braemar Drive. If anything, a new grocer tenant would likely have to be an independent.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
I think that's right, and Loblaw already abandoned that space once when they opened the Superstore on Braemar Drive. If anything, a new grocer tenant would likely have to be an independent.
A second gateway grocery store would be interesting in that space

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
A second gateway grocery store would be interesting in that space
Actually, I think it would be great for competition if Metro moved in, but they've shown no interest in expanding into Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:36 PM

Quote:
A Pete's there would be nice

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 5:01 PM

Maybe a T&T Supermarket? (owned by Loblaws)

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 7:51 PM

Well, they're doing something with the space. Grabbed this pic yesterday:

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Well, they're doing something with the space. Grabbed this pic yesterday:

CBC reported on this yesterday:

Quote:
IWK plans to open new mental health and addictions clinic at Mic Mac Mall
About 40 people will work at the clinic located in former Winners location

Jean Laroche · CBC News · Posted: Jul 04, 2024 3:40 PM ADT | Last Updated: July 4

Children and youth who need help for an addiction or mental health issue could have access to a new clinic in Dartmouth by the fall.

An IWK Health Centre staff of roughly 40 people will provide mental health and addictions services in Mic Mac Mall in an expanded space that used to be home to a Winners store.

Maureen Brennan, who oversees those services, said patients will have access to a multidisciplinary team.

"We'll be offering a full suite of services by a large variety of mental health and addictions clinicians that include psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists, youth care workers, recreation therapists, and child and adolescent psychiatrists," Brennan said in an interview Thursday.

The clinic will provide individual treatment and group therapy for children, youth, parents and caregivers, she said.

Locating a clinic in a mall is a first for the IWK, but Brennan said the Dartmouth location was chosen for its ease of access.

"It makes sense that we locate clinics across all of HRM so that families will not have to come downtown to the IWK Health Centre to look for parking," she said.

"It's very accessible, lots of parking and it's a real opportunity for us to create a therapeutic and trauma-informed space in a new way."

Staff will be made up of clinicians and support personnel from other IWK clinics in Halifax, Bedford, Lower Sackville and Dartmouth, and include new or just-hired employees.

There are no plans to close any of the other sites, Brennan said.

"We'll be looking at a few of those clinicians out of each of those offices and we'll be recruiting into those new positions."

The hospital first started looking for new space in June 2020 when it issued a public tender. Brennan said when that proved unsuccessful, the hospital hired a leasing agent to conduct the search that eventually led to the Mic Mac Mall site.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...ions-1.7254210

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 3:41 PM

I have to say that I never would have guessed that one, but the idea behind giving people an alternative to having to come into the congested downtown for services is solid.

Thanks for posting this.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 4:02 PM

Yes, it is a solid concept. It is a sad commentary, though, that they have taken 4 years to slog through the procurement process to get to this point. Inexcusable.

I am a bit confused (perhaps due to ignorance on my part) why these services would be limited to the IWK’s young clientele though. Drug addiction is a scourge but it spans all ages and treatment would be useful for all those affected.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 4:53 PM

I would guess that, as with other IWK services, it is uniquely targeted to youth and children.

I also agree that there needs to be in increase in mental health services for adults as well. It is inexcusable how these services were slowly dismantled over the past 30 years to the point where they are now only a shell of the the previous system. It should be no surprise, especially given the state of affairs people are dealing with in current society, that we are in the midst of a widespread mental health crisis at the moment. It didn't happen overnight.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 6:28 PM

Great to see more expansion of health services in the suburban areas. Halifax needs more of everything in that respect, and hopefully in the longer term there will be full service hospitals at strategic points within the municipality (e.g. expansion of Bayer's Lake clinic to full hospital).

Is there any update on when the residential projects proposed here are likely to spin up?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2024, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Yes, it is a solid concept. It is a sad commentary, though, that they have taken 4 years to slog through the procurement process to get to this point. Inexcusable.

I am a bit confused (perhaps due to ignorance on my part) why these services would be limited to the IWK’s young clientele though. Drug addiction is a scourge but it spans all ages and treatment would be useful for all those affected.
There are adult addiction and mental health services, they have always been separate from children services.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 3:22 PM

The picture above seems to be a different development than the refit of the Winners space. If I'm not mistaken, the picture is some sort of addition/renovation to the former Kent out-building on the mall grounds, which was subsequently converted to Irving offices if memory serves.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastClimberPro View Post
The picture above seems to be a different development than the refit of the Winners space. If I'm not mistaken, the picture is some sort of addition/renovation to the former Kent out-building on the mall grounds, which was subsequently converted to Irving offices if memory serves.
No, that's definitely the main mall building. The west side entrance is visible at the far left of the photo; a bigger giveaway is the green glass skylights which are a signature feature of the mall.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
No, that's definitely the main mall building. The west side entrance is visible at the far left of the photo; a bigger giveaway is the green glass skylights which are a signature feature of the mall.
I stand corrected. Good catch.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastClimberPro View Post
I don't think it's the kent/irving building. Definitely looks like the old Winners/Homesense to me. I remember when it was grocery store, actually, lol.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth