Video Link

Lagos with 88.3 million (2100). OMG

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
(...)

Lagos with 88.3 million (2100). OMG
2100 is way too far for projection.

For 2050, it's very easy to make an accurate forecast and Nigeria will reach 400 million, therefore a 50 million people in Lagos is to be expected. I may be prejudiced, but I can't imagine a sub-saharan city this big working. Their infrastructure is almost non-existant and 30 years is just round the corner.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2021, 9:44 PM

Those were some neat graphs MolsenExport!!

Few interesting things that stand out...

Early 1940's: Berlin population (obviously) craters but Tokyo only slows down after being virtually wiped off the map?? It just erupts after WWII though.

NYC gained over 4 million people in only 30 years from the turn of the century to the Great Depression
Lol at LA sputtering after 90's but then popping back up briefly in the top 20 again in about 20 years from now.

Delhi in a few years is going to be gaining 1m people a year... sheez

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 12:58 AM

Oh, you never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US. I see. So, what do you call US citizens? United-Statesians?

Give me a break.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 3:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Gringos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Gringos.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 7:10 AM
Never Dell

The US was very clearly named as being IN America. We're states that are united, which are located in America.

"America" was the collective name for the new world long before the US was established. It's still fine to use it that way.

Here's more about that.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 8:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The US was very clearly named as being IN America. We're states that are united, which are located in America.

"America" was the collective name for the new world long before the US was established. It's still fine to use it that way.

Here's more about that.
In everyday speech for the last half-century at least, and on SkyscraperPage.com in 2021, English-speakers, wherever they're from, would never refer to North America and South America as a single geographic entity called "America" unless they were making a political statement or were being pretentious or both (ie, "I never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US"). isaidso claiming otherwise is disingenuous at best.

The US is in North America and Brazil is in South America. However, they're both in the Americas, plural, and in the Western Hemisphere, along with Mexico and a bunch of other countries. I'll give you that. Lol

More pretentiousness to prove my point:

"Personally, I'm governed by my education NOT what your average Joe Blow does or thinks."
"I had the luxury of a very good education and fortunate enough to be well traveled. Am I supposed to dumb myself down..."
"On the contrary, you're being arrogant (and rather provincial)..."

Seriously?

Last edited by Elkhanan1; Feb 12, 2021 at 11:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhanan1 View Post
In everyday speech for the last half-century at least, and on SkyscraperPage.com in 2021, English-speakers, wherever they're from, would never refer to North America and South America as a single geographic entity called "America" unless they were making a political statement or were being pretentious or both (ie, "I never ever use the word 'America' to mean the US"). isaidso claiming otherwise is disingenuous at best.

The US is in North America and Brazil is in South America. However, they're both in the Americas, plural, and in the Western Hemisphere, along with Mexico and a bunch of other countries. I'll give you that. Lol

More pretentiousness to prove my point:

"Personally, I'm governed by my education NOT what your average Joe Blow does or thinks."
"I had the luxury of a very good education and fortunate enough to be well traveled. Am I supposed to dumb myself down..."
"On the contrary, you're being arrogant (and rather provincial)..."

Seriously?
He just made an observation of a graph. I don't understand the point of your tantrum.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 9:25 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post

Here's more about that.
We were named 200+ years ago when the New World (America) was still a novelty. The geopolitical world and our understanding of geography has matured in the subsequent decades and the Western Hemisphere is seen by most of the world as two individual continents.

When Neil Diamond sang that song, it was about us. Not the rest of the Americas.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
We were named 200+ years ago when the New World (America) was still a novelty. The geopolitical world and our understanding of geography has matured in the subsequent decades and the Western Hemisphere is seen by most of the world as two individual continents.

When Neil Diamond sang that song, it was about us. Not the rest of the Americas.
Exactly. And isaidso knows it.

So, to be clear, America didn't hit 1 billion in 2017. It hit about 330 million.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 11:55 AM

Gosh, why do you care so much whether one says America, Americas, American continent, New World or Western Hemisphere?

For one thing, that’s by far the most uniform region in the world. It could be one country for that matter and being less diverse than South Africa. Occupied by humans crossing Bering Strait from Asia that were completely replaced by few Western Europeans arriving 500 years ago. The end.

I know some Americans are obsessed by myths on their own uniqueness, hardcore nationalism, and obviously, the good old racism and xenophobia, a fear to be mistaken for “savages living in Central/South America”.

Makes no mistake: God was in a lazy mood when made America. It’s uniformity is shocking.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 12:36 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Unlike the British and the Aussies, English-speaking Canadians almost never refer to the USA as "America". It's always the US, the States or the USA. Though they do overwhelmingly refer to the people of the USA as "Americans".

Regarding Latin Americans, there is of course the term "Estadounidense" which is generally used for the people of the USA, and preferred over "Americano".

French also has the term "Étatsunien" but it is a bit more rarely used. "Américain" for the people of the USA is more common.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 8:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post

A little bit ironic, perhaps, is that some of the lyrics in old Neil's song are lifted directly from the old American patriotic song ("America: My country, 'Tis of Thee'), which plagiarized the tune of the UK National anthem.

Quote:
"America (My Country, 'Tis of Thee)" is an American patriotic song, the lyrics of which were written by Samuel Francis Smith.[2] The melody used is the same as that of the national anthem of the United Kingdom, "God Save the Queen".
wikipedia

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 4:10 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Are the British still Europeans even though they have left the EU? The Swiss were never in it yet they are European.

South Americans, in my own experiences, seem to take issue with how the United States has appropriated the term "American" for themselves only.

Oh well, the English in Canada stole Canadiens from the French settlers, who in turn stole the term from the Huron-Iroquois (Kanata).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2021, 9:30 AM

Quote:
Are the British still Europeans even though they have left the EU? The Swiss were never in it yet they are European.

South Americans, in my own experiences, seem to take issue with how the United States has appropriated the term "American" for themselves only.

Oh well, the English in Canada stole Canadiens from the French settlers, who in turn stole the term from the Huron-Iroquois (Kanata).
isaidso is an English-speaker from the UK living in Canada. isaidso isn't South American with a Spanish or Portuguese-language/cultural conception of geography. In this context, isaidso's use of "America" for all of the Americas/Western Hemisphere is purely about making a pretentious political statement.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 12:27 PM

The only people in Brazil who use "estadounidense" are those making a pretentious political statement, like a certain someone on this forum, and they're usually laughed out of the room.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 5:59 PM

I know the word. And yes, I speak Spanish and Portuguese fluently... far from native-level, but my wife is half Cuban, half Brazilian and I've lived in Brazil for a few years, so I'm comfortable with both languages.

I've certainly seen it written, but I said, I have NEVER heard "Estadounidense" used to refer to Americans.

I'm not saying it isn't used, I've just never heard it used in conversation.

Last edited by pj3000; Feb 15, 2021 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 6:13 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Thanks. I am sure you guys speak way better Spanish than I do.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 6:34 PM
Never Dell

It's possible to use "American" as vernacular even while "America" has a variety of interpretations and meanings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions