HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I am almost sure that we've seen this before on NLA ut if we have it's been many years ago.

My file says it was taken somewhere in Inglewood in 1951.

ethereal reality file

I'm hoping someone who grew up in the Inglewood area might remember this little 'Red Car' ride and where it was located.

Could this be the "Tinker Town" discussed on page 2599? It was in two locations on the east side of Crenshaw, south of Exposition.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:01 AM

Freedom Magazine

Here's a photo I got obsessed with a while back. It depicts none other than L. Ron Hubbard. I think it's an amazing photo; that's it. Nothing surreptitious. So all that's needed to restage this would be the location, some sunglasses, and a velour Navy uniform.

I didn't post it here because early indications were that it was in Portland, Oregon. But a Portland subreddit said there weren't many rooftop antennas there during WWII. It was then that I discovered a subreddit called r/wherewasthistaken. I posted the photo there, and two hours later I had the location: San Diego. Amazingly, all the buildings in the photo are still standing, but unfortunately modern buildings block the view so I won't be able to recreate the shot.

The dark building is the Pickwick Hotel, the white building on the right is the U.S. Grant Hotel, and the stairstepped building on the left is the El Cortez Condominiums building.

I tried putting an unsolved mystery photo from NLA in the subreddit group, but nothing much came of it. I did solve a couple photos myself, though. Anyway, you might find it interesting.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wherewasthistaken/

Also: https://www.reddit.com/r/whereisthis/

Last edited by Mackerm; Yesterday at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Could this be the "Tinker Town" discussed on page 2599? It was in two locations on the east side of Crenshaw, south of Exposition.
Yes! I think you're correct, Flyingwedge. ..Thanks for your help.

I really like the logo on this old matchbook for Goodhew Ambulances.

Here's a nice shiny example from the 1970s.

flickr

A 1970 Cadillac commercial chassis. Ambulance body by Superior Coach Corp. of Lima, Ohio. Formerly in service with Goodhew Ambulance Service in Los Angeles, California.

And from the 1990s.

Do you know who's having a worse day than this ambulance driver. . . the patient still in the back.

itsfilmedthere

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corriganville View Post
La Popular was located at 4585 Whittier Blvd. The Polacos Pool Hall was at 4569. Stones for Credit, 4528 Whittier Blvd. All East Los Angeles.
Thanks, corriganville. I appreciate your help.

Here are few more images of Whittier Blvd. from the film Boulevard Nights. (1979)

The theater (building) still stands.

GSV

Although the optometrist is long gone. (and the murals)

All from theatersinmovies

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Yesterday at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Today, 12:05 AM

These captures are from "Abandoned", a 1949 release starring Dennis O'Keefe, Gayle Storm, Jeff Chandler and Raymond Burr....the story is a tawdry affair of baby brokerage and murder, but it does feature several downtown locations....the film is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plPz...nnel=MovieLand

....early on O'Keefe and Storm are walking west in the 200 block of E. 5th St.....

....the awning of the Lorane Hotel at 241 E. 5th is visible....

....that's the left leg of O'Keefe as the couple enters an open-to-the-street pool room/shoeshine parlor....

.....we are looking south down Maple Ave......

I'm fairly certain the pool room was in the space with the blue and white sign, and the Plantation Cafe in the storefront adjacent on the right....the Lorane Hotel is now the "Lorraine".

I believe this stretch of E. 5th would have been considered within the confines of Skid Row in 1949, the Lorane was likely a $2/night flop....the area had no doubt gone to seed but appears in these images somewhat tolerable...

....now, it's descended into a dystopian nightmare, a scene of utter urban desolation.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos