HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I mean, looking at remote work from an employer perspective for a second (hard to do for me, since I work for a union) my understanding is there's absolutely been a major drop in productivity as a result of a shift to working from home. To some degree this is probably parents who have to somehow balance working full time with online schooling. To some degree it's probably just that working from home has more general distractions. But employers have absolutely lost revenue from the shift to remote work.
"employers have absolutely lost revenue"...can you back up that statement with facts and studies? because there are just as many studies that show companies benefitting greatly from the move to WFH...ultimately less resources spent on office space (which they are now beginning to divest or sublease), less time lost to commuting, and employees who increasingly find themselves without clear boundaries, meaning they are working earlier and later as emails and IMs continue to come in. if it wasnt beneficial to Capital, than business owners wouldnt be pushing forward with the trend towards remote.

honestly it feels premature to make any declarative statement, as this trend only began a year ago, and given stocks are at all time highs 12 months later, i dont think any of the big corporations have lost anything at all. at least if theyre not in the hospitality/travel sector. those that are suffering likely were not progressive companies when it came to remote work in the first place. wheras those thriving already had things like adequate VPN, robust Sharepoint file management, Microsoft Teams integrations, etc that gave them a competitive advantage and allowed them to be more nimble when this all hit

even taking the in-office vs remote variable out of the equation, employee productivity is at all time highs. while aforementioned stocks have soared as a result, employee wages have remained stagnant since the 70s. frankly, employees have done more than their part and gotten no down-funnel rewards for their contributions.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Mar 31, 2021 at 10:05 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions