HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Sep 27, 2007, 7:11 PM
World Machine

The Hutchinson Metro Area

Well, I wanted to make a new city being that I finished my weekly assignments and my classes are not until next Wednesday. Hutchinson got boring being to it was too big, so I've decided to make a smaller city to focus more on detail.

A little history.......

Chamberlin was founded in 1805 and established itself as your run of the go small American town. Chamberlin is located on the Southeast part of new Jersey, right on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. For the next 150 years, Chamberlin kept a low profile, with a population under 10,000. It wasn't until 1960 when the first talks of making Chamberlin a commercial hub were in order. At that time cities like Hutchinson, Staunton, and New York were gaining commercial power.
For the next 19 years, residents and zoning groups opposed to the idea set forth by towns government. By 1979, Citigroup (then known of Citicorp) wanted to house some offices in New Jersey. Once the fish took the bait, the city council fought with zoning groups to allow the construction of highrises in the town (now developing into a city). By 1980 the council won, and a 5 block area that was dubbed "Downtown Chamberlin", was ridded of small shops, homes, churches, and schools, to make way for what was to be a corporate hub.
By 1981 construction began on a 2 building complex named "The Chamberlin Business Center". It consisted of a 65 and a 62 floor building connected by an overpass. It housed commercial space, trading floors, retail, and a restaurant on the bottom floor of 1 CBC. Citigroup leased all of building 2 and got rights to have their logo plastered on the top of the building.
By the end of the decade, nearly 10 large office buildings made up Chamberlin's skyline. The population reached a record high of 200,000 residents.
In 1993 a highway was built to link Chamberlin with I-95 and the New Jersey Turnpike, only leading to a bigger population of residents and businesses. With the real estate slump of the 90's at full force, not one highrise was constructed between the years 1990-1999.
Today the city is going strong with a current population of 450,000 and new highrises being constructed.

I will update frequently being that I have found a good routine in school to focus on work and the amount of free time I spend.

Visuals soon!

Last edited by Aleks; Nov 10, 2007 at 11:50 PM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup