HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 7, 2024, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
By this logic, we should be worried about every single job in Canada moving to the US, whether it's doctors, nurses, dentists, teachers, lawyers, engineers, programmers, oil and gas workers, mechanics, custodians, or fast food workers. Pretty sure pretty much every job in existence pays more in the US.

Doesn't seem to be any mass exodus. (There are certainly those leaving to the US but not at some economic apocalyptic level).
There are a lot of factors that keep people in Canada, but we should still be worried. The US has always rewarded skilled professionals with higher pay, and the way I see it, gets more attractive as the economic gulf between our countries widens. From my personal perspective - I am an engineer and my fiancée is a registered nurse. The RN exam (NCLEX) is has been adopted by Canada, the US, and Australia, so her standards are recognized without any additional examination, which would make a move relatively easy. In my case, as an (soon-to-be) professional engineer, a Canadian P.Eng. is not reciprocally recognized as a US PE with the exception of 2 states at this time, being Nevada and Texas. In any other state, I would have to write technical exams. This is one barrier that has made a US move less enticing. Another is simply just the scale of change that would have to occur in our lives.

We have considered this path many times over the last couple of years, but we aren’t really interested in living in either of those states. However, if more state reciprocal agreements were in place for engineers, it would be a slightly different story if it was for a state we actually wanted to live in. We would both be able to make close to double what we make here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada