HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmk View Post
Maplewood already is being developed. A big project with a bunch of cranes already behind Stongs. And the two developments on Old Dollarton look like its a go.

fingers crossed.
Best hope is for a First Nations development around the Superstore.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Maplewood already is being developed. A big project with a bunch of cranes already behind Stongs. And the two developments on Old Dollarton look like its a go.

fingers crossed.
Only after years and years of death by a thousand cuts. Compare the approved project with the proposed one in my link.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
It looks like the last crane at North Harbour is coming down.
They were just removing the tower base today. I think they said Phase 2 might start next year.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2024, 10:46 PM

Quote:
North Vancouver residents sick of seeing a defunct bus depot sit mostly empty for years will be pleased to learn of new plans to redevelop the site.

TransLink said it’s exploring development options at 502-535 Third St. East, former home of the North Vancouver Transit Centre.

The regional transit authority said it has started engaging with residents in the area, and has handed out notices explaining plans to transform the site.

“This is part of TransLink’s real estate development program, which will generate long-term revenues for transit services through mixed-use real estate developments,” TransLink told the North Shore News by email.

“It’s early days in terms of planning – the project is in the preliminary design phase. As such, timelines and project details have not been finalized,” the authority said.
https://www.nsnews.com/in-the-commun...couver-9300432

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Haven't gotten my letter in the mail yet. I've emailed Translink about this and got no response

Old Posted Aug 6, 2024, 5:30 PM

I'm guessing it's just an initial notice about upcoming information sessions or something along those lines.

Francl was part of the team that won the contract last year to do the inital planning on the site.

https://www.translink.ca/-/media/tra...023_awards.pdf

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 3:34 AM

Quote:
West Vancouver council narrowly passes housing density bylaw

District of West Vancouver councillors have reluctantly passed a bylaw rezoning single-family lots to allow the building of multiple housing units by a narrow 4-3 margin.

The vote Monday, Aug. 12, came after B.C.’s Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon gave the municipality an ultimatum last month requiring that it comply with provincial requirements to rezone outstanding properties to allow multiple units within 30 days.

According to West Vancouver staff, the rezoning bylaw means 313 properties will see an increase in density. Most of the properties impacted by the changes are former land use contract sites in the Ambleside and Dundarave neighbourhoods which in the past have specifically disallowed coach houses.
From Jane Seyd, North Shore News https://www.nsnews.com/local-news/we...-bylaw-9342860

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 6:24 AM

Old Posted Aug 13, 2024, 6:13 PM

People who do this need to be tried for murder.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 5:56 AM
victory in near

There is also a pretty sophisticated homeless encampment right underneath this part of the bridge

Also, it could be just some wire coming off a truck that was heading to the transfer station 3 blocks away.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 7:09 PM

Quote:
....it could be just some wire coming off a truck that was heading to the transfer station 3 blocks away.
Not sure what you're suggesting here, as the wire was reportedly tied in place across the pathway.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 7:46 PM

That wire is super dangerous. What if a little kid was riding and the wire went right across their neck? I know I’m being super prejudice here, but it was probly some brain damaged drug addict. Who else would do something like that?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
That wire is super dangerous. What if a little kid was riding and the wire went right across their neck? I know I’m being super prejudice here, but it was probly some brain damaged drug addict. Who else would do something like that?
Pulling out my former North Shore roots here: They recently made big changes to Mount Seymour Parkway in the name of improving cyclist safety. Needless to say, North Shore drivers have been piss mad about it. Don't put it above crazed middle aged North Vancouverites.

Never forget that one of the District of North Vancouver's councilors ran for council in order to introduce a bylaw to ban her neighbour from owning pigeons. She has no other policy positions. Do not underestimate the pettiness of DNV seniors.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...tion-1.5347419

Quote:
Pigeon feud: North Vancouver approves ban targeting councillor's neighbour
District staff say the ban would only apply to 1 person — the person who lives beside Betty Forbes
Please read Justin McElroy's entire article. It's a masterpiece in local journalism.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
You don't know a thing about who's behind this. To say that it's irresponsible to speculate otherwise is putting it mildly.

I can remember the last time someone in North Vancouver was caught modifying trails and creating traps in order to intentionally hurt cyclists: a rich senior homeowner.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArbutus View Post
You don't know a thing about who's behind this. To say that it's irresponsible to speculate otherwise is putting it mildly.

I can remember the last time someone in North Vancouver was caught modifying trails and creating traps in order to intentionally hurt cyclists: a rich senior homeowner.
Exactly, do not underestimate the resilience and pettiness of seniors with nothing better to do.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArbutus View Post

Ok, I'll tone it down a bit and say that it was someone not of sound mind.

Your example here, the person was looking to sabotage the trails, not hurt riders. Putting wire that is very hard to see across a bike path is an attempt to seriously injure someone. That person has to be deranged.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 6:37 PM
victory in near

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
Not sure what you're suggesting here, as the wire was reportedly tied in place across the pathway.
no, it was not reported that it was tied in place. It was reported that it was placed or strung across.

I ride across this bridge almost everyday and there is constant bike (and vehicle) traffic. For someone to walk up the path and string a wire across without being noticed seems unlikely to me (unless it was in the middle of the night and this particular biker was the first across in the morning)

Also, the most logical place to string a wire on that bridge would be the same place the hand railings would be otherwise it would just slip off. The hand railing are at handle bar height and the biker ducked under this wire which would mean the wire was high up. Seems weird to me

Last edited by djmk; Aug 19, 2024 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2024, 6:39 PM
victory in near

534 more units in Maplewood was voted in favour by council couple days ago.

https://www.nsnews.com/in-the-commun...d-area-9361067

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 5:57 AM

Quote:
no, it was not reported that it was tied in place. It was reported that it was placed or strung across....
Sorry, but you seem to have missed important parts of the news reports. From CBC:

Quote:
North Vancouver RCMP say that a cyclist found a wire tied across the northbound bike lane...
And from the NSN:

Quote:
The problem wire was detached from the bike path safety railing, and strung up to a sign across the path

Old Posted Aug 20, 2024, 5:58 AM

Quote:
534 more units in Maplewood was voted in favour by council couple days ago.

https://www.nsnews.com/in-the-commun...d-area-9361067
The NSN piece is from a few days ago; the vote was back in July, according to the article:

Quote:
...At a council meeting on July 22...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley